Honeymoon Discussions

PSA - Id's for traveling domestically (USA)

lyndausvilyndausvi mod
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited January 2016 in Honeymoon Discussions
http://www.travelzoo.com/blog/tsa-stop-taking-drivers-licenses-9-u-s-locations/

There are a few states will not be allowed to fly domestically in the US using their driver's license.   Double check BEFORE leaving for the airport to see if your state is on the list.   If you have a passport, I would suggest bringing it as a backup.

Note - some states have been given waivers in the last few days, so the list will be changing.  Again, check BEFORE leaving for the airport.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: PSA - Id's for traveling domestically (USA)

• Thanks! I find it insane that you need ID to fly into Newark but not La Guardia or JFK. One more reason to avoid flying from Newark.
  • Thanks! I find it insane that you need ID to fly into Newark but not La Guardia or JFK. One more reason to avoid flying from Newark.
    I don't understand.  You need ID to fly to anywhere.  Your destination doesn't matter; what matters is the state by which your identification is issued.

• Viczaesar said:
    Thanks! I find it insane that you need ID to fly into Newark but not La Guardia or JFK. One more reason to avoid flying from Newark.
    I don't understand.  You need ID to fly to anywhere.  Your destination doesn't matter; what matters is the state by which your identification is issued.
    It's not that you don't need an ID at some airports - you need an ID to get through security at every airport in the U.S. - this list is just of states whose IDs are not currently up to code for security. So, if you have a current New Jersey ID (or any other state on this list), eventually it will not be valid in the eyes of TSA. It has nothing to do with where you are flying or whether you need an ID to do so... Just a list of states who are noncompliant with regulations. But as @lyndausvi pointed out, most (all?) of the states on the list got deadline extensions, and I imagine states will have to begin re-issuing licenses by that point.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Viczaesar said:
    Thanks! I find it insane that you need ID to fly into Newark but not La Guardia or JFK. One more reason to avoid flying from Newark.
    It's not that you don't need an ID at some airports - you need an ID to get through security at every airport in the U.S. - this list is just of states whose IDs are not currently up to code for security. So, if you have a current New Jersey ID (or any other state on this list), eventually it will not be valid in the eyes of TSA. It has nothing to do with where you are flying or whether you need an ID to do so... Just a list of states who are noncompliant with regulations. But as @lyndausvi pointed out, most (all?) of the states on the list got deadline extensions, and I imagine states will have to begin re-issuing licenses by that point.
    Are you replying to me or to JediElizabeth?  Because I know that and understand the situation.  I said "I don't understand" because I don't understand JE's post about needing ID to fly into Newark but not La Guardia or JFK, not because I don't understand the ID situation.

• Viczaesar said:

Oh, I misread the original post....I haven't flown by plane since I was a little kid, and apparently know nothing of the process. I'm going to be so lost when we go on our honeymoon....
  • The reason for this new rule is that many states allow non-citizens, or even illegal immigrants to have driver's licenses.  It is all about our protection.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    The reason for this new rule is that many states allow non-citizens, or even illegal immigrants to have driver's licenses.  It is all about our protection.
    What's weird is, Illinois is on the list (of course, IL sucks) and my understanding of the situation is the lack of birth certificates to get a DL. Not just about that chip thing that this PSA is talking about. 

Granted I've had a DL for 16 years now, but I could have sworn to get it originally we had to provide a birth certificate or at least a social security card. How the heck else do you prove who a 16 year old is?

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:
    Are you replying to me or to JediElizabeth?  Because I know that and understand the situation.  I said "I don't understand" because I don't understand JE's post about needing ID to fly into Newark but not La Guardia or JFK, not because I don't understand the ID situation.
    I was replying to both of you really - explaining to Jedi what these rules actually mean (since there seems to be a misunderstanding there), and quoted both since you seemed confused by her post, as I was. Completely understood that you understood the rules.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:
    I was replying to both of you really - explaining to Jedi what these rules actually mean (since there seems to be a misunderstanding there), and quoted both since you seemed confused by her post, as I was. Completely understood that you understood the rules.
    Gotcha.

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2016
    CMGragain said:
    The reason for this new rule is that many states allow non-citizens, or even illegal immigrants to have driver's licenses.  It is all about our protection.
    Many states allow non citizens to get drivers license. A drivers license isn't a proof of citizenship, it's a proof of residency and ID and allows you to drive.

No the reason is because those states in the link don't have drivers licenses up to code.  I think all states have to be compliant with the REAL ID Act. This all occurred due to 9/11. It's being done in stages state by state.

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

• http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

You can still use your license to fly domestically for all states until January 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards