Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridesmaids financial responsibilities

Re: Bridesmaids financial responsibilities

• Wait, so whose reception did you pay for and decorate, then? Isn't this wedding in May?
  • Wait, so whose reception did you pay for and decorate, then? Isn't this wedding in May?
    I believe the Stag and Doe hall.
  • Good job OP! You dodged a bullet, it would only get worse from here when it came time for her shower, bachelorette, and then the actually wedding day. I can't get over the fact that she thinks one of her bridesmaids should host the rehearsal dinner. 

How long until this bride is on the wedding party board complaining that her bridesmaids are not fulfilling their responsibilities?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited January 2016
    I love that you have had the balls to do this. Fuck her and her tacky stag and doe!

Eta: I echo the cry to give us more details on this email - it sounds like exactly the kind of crazy I need in my life today @woodtdm !

• Are you still attending the wedding? We're all glad you dodged a bullet by stepping down from the wedding party, but we're all also suckers for wedding trainwreck stories.
  • woodtdm said:

For your reading pleasure ladies! My response is below. My fiancée said I was a little harsh, but he said it with a smile.Dear wedding party

Its started to get crunch time. Im having issues that I need to bring up. I
    feel like no one is checking in asking me there is any jobs that need to be
    done. Ive been busting my ass off making sure everyone is getting great deals
    on things. While trying to help you guys saved money. Im very stressed out
    bride I need help desprately. This week I posted a few things that didnt deal
    with the boquets and I got zero response back. But everyone seems to write on
    the pictures. but not really answering the questions.

Questions were as followed....

Who would like to make the survival kit for the wedding?

Who can Host at their place 30 ppl kids and 4 children?

Who would like to come with me to go shopping for my photoshoot?

karen was the only one who said anything

I understand that ppl are busy. But I need small piece of that time too.

Thank you for listen I love you ladies alot and thank you for all the work you
    did at the stag. I appercate any help I can get. It has not been forgotten just
    simply going nuts from this wedding planning.

Bride going nuts.
    My response

I don't feel that am giving you the support that you truly need and after a
    lot of thought I don't think it is fair and will have to step away from the responsibility
    of being your bridesmaid. I feel that you are asking so much of all your
    bridesmaids that goes way above and beyond the typical responsibilities
    associated with this position that is supposed to be fun and a bonding
    experience and have made it into a chore and financial burden. You shouldn't
    have to ask your bridesmaids to do anything and hound them on a daily basis to
    provide feedback.

I am truly sorry, but have nothing but the best wishes for you and Pat in
    the future.

Sounds like karen needs a loan of your backbone!

•  I like your response OP! Good on you for standing up for yourself!

I wonder where her Fiance is in all of this. Bridal survival kit, LOL!  Where in the world did she get all these shitty ideas??
    For my sisters wedding I packed a bag with a Tide pen, safety pins, static guard, deodorant, needle and thread, bandaids hairspray etc.  But that was because she lives out of state so I figured she wouldn't pack any of these items because who does?  We ended up needing the band aids, tide pen and a safety pin; but I can't even imagine dictating someone packing those things for you.
    Right! I would certainly have in my mind that I wanted to pack band-aids and stuff for the day-of, but it would never be to the point of "Oh my gawd, bridesmaids, someone needs to step up and create my survival kit!"

Sounds like she needs a therapist, not a survival kit. Doesn't sound like this woman has any coping skills! 

•  I like your response OP! Good on you for standing up for yourself!

I wonder where her Fiance is in all of this. Bridal survival kit, LOL!  Where in the world did she get all these shitty ideas??
    For my sisters wedding I packed a bag with a Tide pen, safety pins, static guard, deodorant, needle and thread, bandaids hairspray etc.  But that was because she lives out of state so I figured she wouldn't pack any of these items because who does?  We ended up needing the band aids, tide pen and a safety pin; but I can't even imagine dictating someone packing those things for you.
    Right! I would certainly have in my mind that I wanted to pack band-aids and stuff for the day-of, but it would never be to the point of "Oh my gawd, bridesmaids, someone needs to step up and create my survival kit!"

Sounds like she needs a therapist, not a survival kit. Doesn't sound like this woman has any coping skills! 
    Right, and by survival kit, it's more like "don't let me forget the make up bag full of schtuff that I keep in my overnight bag."
  • And hosting 30 people??  That's hardly a small event.   Even if you're going low budget with tea and small sandwiches that's a boatload of food and time plus cleaning.   I've had that quantity of people in my home but  not for a shower and I have a decent sized house.

Quite frankly, the more I think about it the more I'd try to laugh at a family member who felt this way.

And I'm really curious about why she feels like all of this is owed.   Was she raised to expect this?   
  • Holy micro-manager.     Picking as specific bras?   Like shoes they are not a one size fits all item.

I have to say, if wedding planning is this stressful I hate to see when a real issue comes up in her life.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I wrote off the bra as part of my wedding expenses, because I will more than likely need one. She is a cousin through marriage and I honestly don't know her that well. She is 8 years younger, but she acts so much younger. I haven't a clue where her sense of entitlement comes from. I think she thinks that our weddings are in some sort of competition. I honestly haven't done anything but the venue yet. I already have the colours, the bridesmaid dresses, the center pieces, bachelorette party venue and menu already picked out. I haven't picked out my wedding party or dress yet. Its coming up next month. She has also invited herself to be in my wedding party. I told her nothing has been decided yet. My wedding isn't until September.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards