Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Wedding Photographer Taking Forever

So our wedding was in September 2015 and we haven't received our photography back yet. We received about 130 of the "Sneaks" a couple of months ago but the rest are no where to be found. I loved our photographer but I stupidly did not sign the contract with the expected time to receive the photos. So now I wait. I asked my photographer back before Christmas and she said she was working on them and now it's nearing February and I asked for an update via text--no response!

So I'm wondering what do I do? Do I wait for a response or send an email/text or give her a call? I'm trying not to seem like a pest but she is taking longer on our photos then I expected and I'm frustrated to say the least.

Re: Wedding Photographer Taking Forever

• So our wedding was in September 2015 and we haven't received our photography back yet. We received about 130 of the "Sneaks" a couple of months ago but the rest are no where to be found. I loved our photographer but I stupidly did not sign the contract with the expected time to receive the photos. So now I wait. I asked my photographer back before Christmas and she said she was working on them and now it's nearing February and I asked for an update via text--no response!

So I'm wondering what do I do? Do I wait for a response or send an email/text or give her a call? I'm trying not to seem like a pest but she is taking longer on our photos then I expected and I'm frustrated to say the least.
    Were there two contract options; one with a guaranteed turn around time and one without?  What was the turn around time on the contract you didn't sign?
  • No there were not two options. If there were two options I would have signed it. She was recommended from a friend and she never has had an issue with her in the past. I called her today and she has not responded.
  • Give it time and stop calling/texting. You have several sneak peaks to tide you over, and if you didn't sign a contract saying when you would receive the rest of the photos there isn't anything you can do. Just be patient. If you haven't heard something in a month reach out again. Editing takes a LONG time. Hours and hours of work. 

• So our wedding was in September 2015 and we haven't received our photography back yet. We received about 130 of the "Sneaks" a couple of months ago but the rest are no where to be found. I loved our photographer but I stupidly did not sign the contract with the expected time to receive the photos. So now I wait. I asked my photographer back before Christmas and she said she was working on them and now it's nearing February and I asked for an update via text--no response!

Just to be clear, the bolded means you never signed a contract, period?
  • edited January 2016
    This thread is very similar but the bride had been waiting even longer. My advice is there: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1067082/help-getting-wedding-photos-back#latest

ETA: Yes, editing does take awhile. I'm wondering how many other clients this person had. What happened to me after mine went MIA is that I eventually got in touch with our second shooter who still had the photos she'd taken at my wedding. She gave me over 500 edited photos and it took her only 3 hours. At least, I'd offered to pay her for her time, and she only charged me for 3 hours. 

So when people say "editing takes a long time" it just makes me wonder how many clients they are managing, how good their time management skills even are, and how good their editing skills are. If a photographer can technically bang out hundreds of photos in a regular 8 hour work day, a client shouldn't be waiting more than a few months. My two cents. 

• This thread is very similar but the bride had been waiting even longer. My advice is there: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1067082/help-getting-wedding-photos-back#latest

ETA: Yes, editing does take awhile. I'm wondering how many other clients this person had. What happened to me after mine went MIA is that I eventually got in touch with our second shooter who still had the photos she'd taken at my wedding. She gave me over 500 edited photos and it took her only 3 hours. At least, I'd offered to pay her for her time, and she only charged me for 3 hours. 

So when people say "editing takes a long time" it just makes me wonder how many clients they are managing, how good their time management skills even are, and how good their editing skills are. If a photographer can technically bang out hundreds of photos in a regular 8 hour work day, a client shouldn't be waiting more than a few months. My two cents. 

This is why my list of questions for potential photog says " what does editting mean to them?" I have spent a day or two editting a single photo, but I'm not a wedding photog. It all depends on the image and the photog.

I would call the photog and still be very polite. If you don't have a contract, she has you over a barrel...so to speak :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• This thread is very similar but the bride had been waiting even longer. My advice is there: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1067082/help-getting-wedding-photos-back#latest

This is why my list of questions for potential photog says " what does editting mean to them?" I have spent a day or two editting a single photo, but I'm not a wedding photog. It all depends on the image and the photog. I would call the photog and still be very polite. If you don't have a contract, she has you over a barrel...so to speak :(
    Great point! I could see spending awhile on a few key shots that one thinks the couple would want to showcase and frame, and less time on reception shots of people on the dance floor. There are many who do far more "artistic" styles and others who will simply do some color corrections and lighting adjustments to get a nice result.  

If she was working on yours before Christmas, it shouldn't take a month.  Call her and ask when you can expect them.
  • It sounds to me like this photographer is

a) either really busy and overbooked herself to the extent that she has so much editing to do, she can't keep up.

b) had a family crisis or big change in her life that is keeping her from her duties, or

c) just plain lazy and unprofessional.

Of course she is already unprofessional because she has not e-mailed you updates on your photos and because she did not include the time claus in her contract. I'm really sorry that you're going through this. Honestly, I would express to her that you're upset and that you need your photos pronto. Perhaps if you are honest with her about how you feel, or ask her what is happening that is keeping her from her tasks that you already paid her for. It will hopefully motivate her to spend some quality time with your wedding photos (rather than an hour a day or something like that). Editing is not for the faint of heart and when a photographer is not extremely passionate about shooting, editing, AND communication with their client- then some things will falter. But my advice (as a wedding photographer) is don't just wait for her to get on it- those photos should have been finished by now. Seriously. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards