Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridal Converse Shoes

I'm wearing Converse shoes under my wedding dress to be comfortable and so I'm not taller than my fiancee. I would like to add a little something to my shoes including a stitched stripe on the heel with "Bride" or something embroidered. I've seen some great pictures of exactly what I want but can't figure out where to get them done. Can anybody help? One example of what I've seen is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlottegeary/4541412633/.  Thanks!

Re: Bridal Converse Shoes

• I'd give Etsy a shot. Just make sure you read the reviews and are comfortable with the seller before you spend your money.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Honestly, this Converse shoe thing was being done more than 20 years ago.  If you need them to be comfortable, fine, but if you are trying to make a statement with this, it has been overdone.

I have feet problems and I cannot wear high heels.  There are lower pumps that look pretty but won't hurt your feet.  http://www.zappos.com/soft-style-angel-ii-white-smooth

My daughter is 6' tall, and her DH is 5'10".  She wore white soft ballet slippers and decorated them with paint and lace.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You can order them customized from the converse website. A friend did this when he got married.

Good luck!
  • geebee908geebee908 member
    edited January 2016

CMGragain said:

Honestly, this Converse shoe thing was being done more than 20 years ago.  If you need them to be comfortable, fine, but if you are trying to make a statement with this, it has been overdone.

I have feet problems and I cannot wear high heels.  There are lower pumps that look pretty but won't hurt your feet.  http://www.zappos.com/soft-style-angel-ii-white-smooth

My daughter is 6' tall, and her DH is 5'10".  She wore white soft ballet slippers and decorated them with paint and lace.

I don't understand why you try to talk everyone out of this. If she wants to wear Converse, what's it to you? What if she does want to make a statement? 

OP, don't let anyone convince you otherwise - wear anything on your feet that makes you happy. Converse IMO are a classic thing that will never go out of style. 

Box
    I agree with this. No one should be criticized for what they choose to wear for their wedding. Her personal style doesn't have to conform to anyone else's notion of what a bride should look like.
  • geebee908 said:
    CMGragain said:

I don't understand why you try to talk everyone out of this. If she wants to wear Converse, what's it to you? What if she does want to make a statement? 

OP, don't let anyone convince you otherwise - wear anything on your feet that makes you happy. Converse IMO are a classic thing that will never go out of style. 
    Box I agree with this. No one should be criticized for what they choose to wear for their wedding. Her personal style doesn't have to conform to anyone else's notion of what a bride should look like.
    Agreed, also, who cares if this trend started 20 years ago or that is overdone? Brides didn't start wearing white until the 1840s and a lot of us are still doing that; are we going to start telling brides that choosing a white dress is overdone since Queen Victoria started the trend 176 years ago?
    edited January 2016
    The OP was unclear as to why she chooses to wear athletic shoes with her formal wedding gown.  I offered alternatives.  This is an open forum and the OP asked for advice.  I never said that the Converse shoes were forbidden, but I did say that they have been overdone, and that is fact.
    As for Converse shoes being a classic that will never go out of style - oh, please!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I switched to converse shoes for my reception but I didn't personalize them. I got them in a color that matched the green accents on my dress. I didn't take any fun pictures or make a big deal I just didn't want to wear heals all night and my sneaker of choice that I'll wear again after the wedding is converse. 

That being said there are a million pictures of my super cute heels that I wore for the ceremony so if these are the shoes you want to wear have fun with it! I second checking out the converse site, they definitely have a lot of personalizing options including the one you show in your picture. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    The OP was unclear as to why she chooses to wear athletic shoes with her formal wedding gown.  I offered alternatives.  This is an open forum and the OP asked for advice.  I never said that the Converse shoes were forbidden, but I did say that they have been overdone, and that is fact.
    As for Converse shoes being a classic that will never go out of style - oh, please!
    Does it matter if OP was unclear as to why she chose Converse?  That's awesome you provided alternatives, but I don't see the point in letting her know it is an overdone trend.  I understand you can respond however you want in an open forum, especially if it is an instance where the bride and groom will be terrible hosts, which this is not, but I'm curious what your motivation was when you wrote that they were overdone.  The reason I provided the white wedding dress comparison in my previous post was to point out that most wedding traditions are overdone.  Why does it matter that tennis shoes be one of them?
  • edited January 2016
    Converse have been worn by people for decades. Their popularity during all those years obviously shows they are in style. They are classic sneakers that yes, are still in style.

You could also say that veils are overdone. Does that mean brides should stop wearing them?
  • I'm wearing Converse shoes under my wedding dress to be comfortable and so I'm not taller than my fiancee. I would like to add a little something to my shoes including a stitched stripe on the heel with "Bride" or something embroidered. I've seen some great pictures of exactly what I want but can't figure out where to get them done. Can anybody help? One example of what I've seen is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlottegeary/4541412633/.  Thanks!

@CMGragain, OP was clear that she wanted Converse shoes and was looking for advice about getting something distinctive added to them. She wasn't looking for other options.
  • I will continue to question what I believe is a poor decision whenever it is posted.  Veils are a wedding tradition.  Converse shoes are not.  The bride is certainly free to wear them if it is what she really wants, but she should know that many people will question her choice.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited January 2016
    Sorry, but I do feel I should post when I see a bride about to make a mistake.  I will continue to do so.  This is what the Knot is for - differing opinions.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • OP you can get little decals for the tops of your shoes in blue that say "I do'. In my first wedding we all wore Converse, and thats what I did. They looked awesome! I think I picked mine up at JoAnn Fabric for like a dollar.

• I'm curious what the issue is with wearing converse sneakers with a wedding dress? Why do you think it's a poor decision? Do you think every woman should wear heels/flats. If she wore orthopedic shoes, would you have a problem with that?  I'm not trying to argue, I'm just really curious. I think with all the things to worry about, what the bride is wearing on her feet is not one of them. 

People can wear whatever they want, and most of the time no one even sees the shoes if the dress is long. If it's not your style, that's fine, but it's not wrong or a mistake. 

Are you against colored wedding dresses too because they aren't traditional?

• What I don't like about the converse with wedding gown trend is the mixing of a very formal gown with a pair of sneakers. It's SO not my style but that doesn't make it wrong. (What I would side-eye is if a bride wore an old beat-up pair. At least get some new, clean ones.) I feel the same way about the cowboy boot trend. It's NMS but you do you. In the end it has absolutely no impact on my life.
    I was a BM once and the bride and all BMs wore those crochet Toms. I'll admit I was a little put off by the idea because I wouldn't mix a formal dress with those shoes under any other circumstances, but in the end it was no big deal. I was comfortable at least and I've worn those shoes a lot since so it worked out.

• I'm not sure if you're the DIY type...but I made these as a gift for my bffs bachelorette party and they came out great!

ut

There's a tutorial here if you were interested:

http://www.crystalandglassbeads.com/blog/2011/how-to-make-swarovski-crystal-converse.html

• Converse with wedding dresses can be absolutely adorable. Especially if the dress has a pop of color and the shoes reflect it. Not every wedding is super formal. Besides, even if she is wearing a long formal dress with converse, who cares?!?! I don't think anyone at her wedding would "question her choice", as they probably know her style. Wedding attire is still clothing, and a reflection of yourself. I wear converse all the time, tons of colors and still roll the idea around of wearing them with my dress. If anyone told me that was a "mistake" at my wedding, I'd have to reply with an eye roll. 

To the OP -- seconding that you can have the embroidery done through converse. I know you can at some of their flagship stores, and online as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I hesistate to post this here, as I could get the "side eye" but I am also wearing Converse for my wedding day.  If you want them customized (like you see above) you can do them online on the converse website (the one with the name on the back, not the super cute DIYs).  There are also a few Converse stores (I went to one in Boston) that will print custom shoes for you.  I did the attached, which I love, as they are pictures taken all over the world while adventuring with my fiance.

Stores that have the printing cabability will list "Ink Bar" on their site. 

It's really only one person here that side-eyes this. Those are adorable. 

My cousin wore Converse when she got married in 2008. It was very her, and totally was in line with her style. She looked great, and I really can't imagine that anyone judged her for it, or that she made a "mistake". 
  • So, LondonLisa with the mic-drop answer re: shoes are not a mistake, no bearing on guests. 

I just get curious why it's always Converse. If I could have shown up in my Asics running shoes that would have been awesome. But they in no way went with my dress so I wore frilly 4-inch heels, and, you never see brides (or grooms, for that matter) in Asics. 
    (There was Annie Banks in the 1992 Father of the Bride wearing lacy white custom Sidekicks but that's all I've seen.) 
    I was a BM last fall and someone made the suggestion that we all wear Converse and the bride was super into the idea even though not a single one of us ever wear them. Luckily she forgot her enthusiasm and we all wore dressy shoes of our choice. Put me in the boat that would prefer to match footwear with the formality of the outfit, given the choice.  

• So, LondonLisa with the mic-drop answer re: shoes are not a mistake, no bearing on guests. 

I just get curious why it's always Converse. If I could have shown up in my Asics running shoes that would have been awesome. But they in no way went with my dress so I wore frilly 4-inch heels, and, you never see brides (or grooms, for that matter) in Asics. 
    (There was Annie Banks in the 1992 Father of the Bride wearing lacy white custom Sidekicks but that's all I've seen.) 
    I was a BM last fall and someone made the suggestion that we all wear Converse and the bride was super into the idea even though not a single one of us ever wear them. Luckily she forgot her enthusiasm and we all wore dressy shoes of our choice. Put me in the boat that would prefer to match footwear with the formality of the outfit, given the choice.  

It is one thing to ask your BP to do it. It is quite another to harp on people who prefer to wear it themselves. I dislike lace up back dresses. I recognise this is my personal taste and don't offer my opinion on them unless directly asked because it doesn't matter. Even if someone wanted to wear trainers, who cares? Can you imagine the response if every time someone posted a lace up dress I would just say "you're making a mistake". Great, you prefer heels with dresses. I have good news- you can wear them at your wedding. Just leave people alone who prefer to wear something else. Personally, I wouldn't wear trainers and a gown but I would never be so crass as to insinuate another person was "wrong" to do so.

I just get curious why it's always Converse. If I could have shown up in my Asics running shoes that would have been awesome.  

A good friend of mine is a running fanatic. Ran in college, is part of a running club now. She changed into her running shoes for the reception. It just fit her.
  • I'm wearing Converse shoes under my wedding dress to be comfortable and so I'm not taller than my fiancee. I would like to add a little something to my shoes including a stitched stripe on the heel with "Bride" or something embroidered. I've seen some great pictures of exactly what I want but can't figure out where to get them done. Can anybody help? One example of what I've seen is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlottegeary/4541412633/.  Thanks!
    I used a website called Dead Fresh for mine. They have Swarovski crystals on the toes and have my new name and wedding date on the sides. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragain said:

Because she is stuck in 1962
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragain said:
    It's not a fact it's your opinion. She didn't ask for flat alternatives she asked where she could get customised converse. If you are going to crap all over her choice of shoe don't comment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.deadfresh.co.uk

they deliver worldwide and for a reasonable price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards