Chit Chat
Options

Reasons why you are not a special snowflake

In relation to the drama post made by @drunkenwitch and in honour of the latest wave of crazy; Reasons that OP's are not special snowflakes.

Re: Reasons why you are not a special snowflake

• Options
    Reason #1 No-one care about your wedding as much as you do.

The original and best!

• Options
    Because etiquette applies to ALL

You may think your situation is special/unique, but I assure you- it's 99.99% likely it's not :)
  • Options
    I am a speshul snowflake, my mommy told me so!!!

But in all seriousness, 99.9% of the time your situation is not unique.
  • Options
    Because it's not all about you and what you want if you're not eloping.
  • Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Nothing you do is unique and you don't have a monopoly on any ideas. 

Don't be this couple: http://www.theonion.com/video/horrible-couple-really-wants-wedding-to-reflect-th-28924

Remember: the ceremony is about you- the reception is about your guests

If you are scrimping on an essential for your guests comfort (chairs, not charging your guests for drinks, appropriate food and shelter for the time) you can't afford your wedding. Regroup and re-plan.

Everyone loves a story about a horribly hosted and rude wedding. People dine out on them for years! Because whilst no one will say it to your face how rude you are being- people will remember you as the chavs that charged for fizzy drinks, or the ones that made you stand outside in January for 2 hours whilst they took photos.  Don't be that couple.

If you are demand something of your guests above and beyond (hotel stays, black tie, foreign travel), you need to have the level of hosting match the effort you are requiring of them. No one buys a gift, flies 3 hours, hires a car and stays in a hotel for afternoon tea and is happy about it. 

Destination weddings are fun but inconvenient. Nothing you do or say will change that. All you can do is make it as inexpensive/flexible as possible. Recognise that a lot of people won't go and that you are asking A LOT of your friends and family. 

If you don't walk up the aisle as a legal single person have the ceremony, and walk down the aisle as a legally married couple, you are not having a wedding ceremony. You are the lowest of the low if you don't make this fact common knowledge to let it inform the attendance decisions of your guests. 

Your BMs were at one point your best friends. Treat them as such.  If you need "support" in order to get married, maybe you aren't making the right decision. It is fine to be excited and nervous and speak about that with your friends. it is not OK to conflate party planning with support. Support is a 15 minute phone call when you are having anxiety. Support is NOT giving up an evening to address envelopes, tie bows on favours, plan your hen do. 

It is NEVER ok for an adult to ask for money for non-emergency non-essentials, ever. Honeymoons, house down payments, car payments are not essentials. 
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Because your Bridesmaids are not your employees, nor are they your little wedding minions that have "duties" to fulfill. They are your FRIENDS.

ETF grammar. I know better than to use apostrophes where they don't belong.

• Options
    tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Because special snowflakes should listen to the ice-queen:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Because there are 7 billion people on this planet. Despite what mommy, daddy, and your kindergarten teacher told you, you are just not that special or unique. 7 BILLION WITH A B! The odds are just not in your favor that you are the one person out of 7,000,000,000 who has an extraordinary situation so unique that it exempts you from being a decent human being or requires others to focus all attention on you as if you were such a rare one in seven billion flower for us to behold.
  • Options
    Also, a general message to new posters ought to be: 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Because my top goals for the day are:
    1.  To legally marry my FI
    2.  For all of my friends to leave feeeling fat, full, tipsy and happy
  • Options

Your friends and family aren't going to tell you to your face that you are acting like a see you next Tuesday, so coming on hear and crying "but all my friends and family have no problem with *insert god awful etiquette nightmare here* I asked them".  I 100% guarantee they aren't okay with it and they are talking behind your back about it.

• Options
    ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

Yes, I had to shout that.

• Options
    I'm so happy to read this.  I got into a very uncomfortable battle on a FB wedding board this morning with a bride who said "It's your wedding, who cares about etiquette".  She was defending her registry appearing on her invitation and having a cash bar.  It made me sad.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Your family and friends will not change because you are getting married.

There is no such thing as a perfect wedding.

It is not YOUR DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

If it IS the most important day of your entire life, then I feel sorry for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    After reading an article on FB bout the duties of a bridesmaid I got into a bit of a back and for the with a woman who's argument was "Rule #1. Don't piss off the bride. It's an emotional time and she's probably easier to upset than normal. Be mindful of that. Don't be overly sensitive and assume she realizes everything that comes out of her mouth." "if you can't fulfill the duties don't accept the role as bridesmaids" and One day when they ask you to be their bridesmaid you'd do the same for them. It's not enlisting slaves

• Options

Don't make it complicated.  Don't get mired in minor details.  Don't make your wedding day more important than your marriage and the relationships with your friends and family.  At the end of the day, if you married your best friend/love of your life and hosted your guests appropriately (if people invited), than "cheers" you had a wonderful, successful day.  All the rest is just gravy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just because you did X, Y, or Z for someone once upon a time does not mean that the universe/your wedding party owe you the same.
  • Options
    "Everyone else does it" is NEVER an excuse for doing something rude.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Nothing short of fire or catastrophe a gofundme wedding.

Etf words auto correct hates me

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards