Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photographer Having Baby 2 Weeks Before Wedding

Could use some advice! We booked our wedding photographer several months ago. Through following her on instagram, I've learned that she is pregnant and due two weeks before our wedding in July. This is obviously great news for her, but I worry what this might mean in terms of her ability to be at our wedding. Do you think it would be appropriate to reach out to her and ask? Should we wait until she reaches out to us? We've already paid a deposit, and I'm worried about finding a replacement this close to the wedding. Thoughts?

Re: Photographer Having Baby 2 Weeks Before Wedding

• What does your contract state she is responsible for if she is unable to shoot the wedding? Some contracts will have it built in that if they for some reason realize they can not shoot the wedding they can find what they believe is a suitable replacement. I would check with your contract first to see what, if anything, is outlined regarding replacements.
  • Contract says that they will "try" to find a replacement and, failing that, will just return the deposit. Either of these are fine, but if I need to start looking for a new photographer I'd rather know sooner than later.
  • Contract says that they will "try" to find a replacement and, failing that, will just return the deposit. Either of these are fine, but if I need to start looking for a new photographer I'd rather know sooner than later.
    If the contract says "try" I would reach out.  She needs to have a contingency plan and if not she needs to cancel the contract IMO.  I mean, what if she goes into labor days before your wedding and doesn't have a substitute lined up?

@photokitty, as a photog, what are your thoughts?

If the contract says "try" I would reach out.  She needs to have a contingency plan and if not she needs to cancel the contract IMO.  I mean, what if she goes into labor days before your wedding and doesn't have a substitute lined up?

@photokitty, as a photog, what are your thoughts?

Sadly, my thoughts aren't good. I would definitely reach out to her. Ask what her plan is and if you can get your deposit back now and lineup a new photog. I assume you signed before she knew she was pregnant. She might be happy to let you out if the contract.

Lurkers, never sign a contract with a photog unless it says they will find a replacement photog of commiserate skill if they are unable to work. True professionals have a circle of photogs they can call on in an emergency.

GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I would ask her what her plan is and if she has a backup that you can also sit down with before hand to meet.  My contract also states I will try, however, I belong to a large network of photographers who would jump to help if I needed it or another photographer needed it. 

As a bride I would be worried that a wedding two weeks before she is due would be hard for her to maybe even keep up.  Pregnancy at 38 weeks is not comfortable or easy on most people. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards