Wedding Woes

Ohh Tuesday

2»

Re: Ohh Tuesday

• I am so glad to be validated on the potatoes!  I once picked 3 kinds of potatoes for my birthday dinner. DH has had tuna noodle casserole ONCE and it was because I made it.  I remember saying "You clearly didn't grow up Catholic and poor."
  • 6fsn said:
    I am so glad to be validated on the potatoes!  I once picked 3 kinds of potatoes for my birthday dinner. DH has had tuna noodle casserole ONCE and it was because I made it.  I remember saying "You clearly didn't grow up Catholic and poor."
    I grew up in a Catholic family of Irish decent.   Potatoes are/were a staple in our diet.  Plus they are cheap.

Thank god my mom only tried tuna noodle casserole once.  The smell alone makes me gag.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 6fsn said:
    I am so glad to be validated on the potatoes!  I once picked 3 kinds of potatoes for my birthday dinner. DH has had tuna noodle casserole ONCE and it was because I made it.  I remember saying "You clearly didn't grow up Catholic and poor."
    Lol that is funny. My DH feels exactly the same way about tuna noodle casserole. I grew up Baptist, not Catholic, and poor so I have a feeling our menus growing up were pretty similar! I think mom made tuna noodle casserole about once a week or once every other week. I still get crazy cravings for it sometimes, but I can't make it because DH won't eat it :(

• My kids won't eat potatoes either. DD will sometimes eat French fries, but yeah- no baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, hash browns, etc. They don't like sweet potatoes either. They are so weird.

• He's an electrician.  I'm pretty sure it really is just about his weird eating issues.  He also eats a full breakfast in morning (eggs, pancakes, bacon), so he usually eats mid-afternoon when he's getting off work around 3pm. 

We actually do stock up on gift cards deals at Christmas time.  But, we usually use them for going on to dinner together.
    Mmmm that sounds awesome!
    And I absolutely take advantage of his "need" to have a full breakfast every morning.  He used to just cook for himself and I was on my own... then I complained that he made the house smell like bacon every morning without sharing and it totally wasn't fair. Now he makes breakfast for both of us every morning.  I have to wake up an hour earlier than I need to for it, but it's totally worth it.  Then I spend that extra hour reading.  Definitely a win-win scenario.

• lyndausvi said:
    6fsn said:
    @PrettyGirlLost I bought a ham a few weeks ago then my fil brought one over too. I need to use those and I like ham scalloped potatoes and green bean casserole. Every once in awhile I say piss on them and make a meal for me;). The just need to try the potatoes then they can have the town rice and quinoa they love. They hate mashed potatoes too.
    What?!

I hate to tell  you this, but it sounds like your children have been abducted by aliens and replaced with alien clones to spy on you and the rest of humankind.
    I grew up in a home that had potatoes at almost every meal.  The only exceptions would pretty much be pasta or pizza nights.    Even if hot dog/hamburger night would have side of potato chips.

Hard for me to comprehend.  I even make mashed potatoes for myself.  Totally my comfort food.

Oddly, I HATE any type of breakfast potatoes.   Not sure why.  However, I do not eat much in the way of breakfast.   2 eggs, toast and bacon is too much food for me in the morning.  So I'm able to explain I don't want potatoes because it's too much food.  Which is true, but really I don't like them anyway.
    I feel a Bubba- Gump Tater monologue coming on:
    "Well there's Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato skins, twice baked potatoes, hasselback potatoes, boiled potatoes, roasted potatoes, scallop potatoes, potatoes au gratin, french fries, home fries, hash browns, tater tots, potato soup, potato salad, potato chips, potato latkes, and gnocchis"

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• lyndausvi said:

Thank god my mom only tried tuna noodle casserole once.  The smell alone makes me gag

SITB - same here. my mom never made tuna, and my H is forbidden to have it in the house. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    6fsn said:
    @PrettyGirlLost I bought a ham a few weeks ago then my fil brought one over too. I need to use those and I like ham scalloped potatoes and green bean casserole. Every once in awhile I say piss on them and make a meal for me;). The just need to try the potatoes then they can have the town rice and quinoa they love. They hate mashed potatoes too.
    What?!

I hate to tell  you this, but it sounds like your children have been abducted by aliens and replaced with alien clones to spy on you and the rest of humankind.
    I grew up in a home that had potatoes at almost every meal.  The only exceptions would pretty much be pasta or pizza nights.    Even if hot dog/hamburger night would have side of potato chips.

Hard for me to comprehend.  I even make mashed potatoes for myself.  Totally my comfort food.

Oddly, I HATE any type of breakfast potatoes.   Not sure why.  However, I do not eat much in the way of breakfast.   2 eggs, toast and bacon is too much food for me in the morning.  So I'm able to explain I don't want potatoes because it's too much food.  Which is true, but really I don't like them anyway.
    I feel a Bubba- Gump Tater monologue coming on:
    "Well there's Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato skins, twice baked potatoes, hasselback potatoes, boiled potatoes, roasted potatoes, scallop potatoes, potatoes au gratin, french fries, home fries, hash browns, tater tots, potato soup, potato salad, potato chips, potato latkes, and gnocchis"
    You forgot potato and cheese pierogies!
  • @princessleia22 now THAT'S my kind of mom!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards