Chit Chat
Options

S/O Post- Thoughts on Birth Control?

Re: S/O Post- Thoughts on Birth Control?

• Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2016
    Hormones from birth control =/= hormones used to treat hormonal imbalances.

There's three very important difference.  First of all, a good doctor will use bioidentical hormones, not synthetic ones like the ones found in BCP.

Second, to treat a hormonal imbalance, you need to figure out the exact amounts of hormones you're actually imbalanced in, and need to take just those amounts.  Taking too much/too little/ or not the right hormones can cause even more problems.

Third, hormones are supposed to be taken at the proper time in your cycle, according to your body's natural rhythms.  BCP doesn't do that, hence why it stops your body from ovulating.  And that's kind of the whole point... if something is STOPPING you from ovulating, then it's NOT balancing your hormones out.  Balancing hormones would equal a healthy ovulation.  What your reproductive system is supposed to do...

I'm all for identifying hormonal imbalances and treating them when you need to.  But using BCP for that is like taking a bunch of random antibiotics in varying amounts, hoping to fight off an infection.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I adore my tubal. 11 years of being pregnancy scare free is heaven.

• Options
    I'm off in the lonely camp that loves my depo-provera shot every 3 months, but that's because it just happened to work for me.  I've been on for 2 years now, and when I first started I bled for 2 weeks straight and felt like I was dying.  But that period was the last I've had in 2 years, it's incredible.  I think I'd recommend an IUD over depo-provera, because there's more options of hormonal vs non-hormonal.  Many women have horrible experiences with depo-provera, it's kind of a crapshoot. 

I didn't realize so many couples use NFP!  That would stress me out, but I'm glad it works well for you gals.  I have difficulty thinking of it as a reliable option because the fail rate can be high, but I would say that's similar to BCP.  It's all user error.  I'm not a betting type though, I use condoms with my birth control for 100% guarantee.
  • Options
    tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    OwlNurse said:
    I'm off in the lonely camp that loves my depo-provera shot every 3 months, but that's because it just happened to work for me.  I've been on for 2 years now, and when I first started I bled for 2 weeks straight and felt like I was dying.  But that period was the last I've had in 2 years, it's incredible.  I think I'd recommend an IUD over depo-provera, because there's more options of hormonal vs non-hormonal.  Many women have horrible experiences with depo-provera, it's kind of a crapshoot. 

I didn't realize so many couples use NFP!  That would stress me out, but I'm glad it works well for you gals.  I have difficulty thinking of it as a reliable option because the fail rate can be high, but I would say that's similar to BCP.  It's all user error.  I'm not a betting type though, I use condoms with my birth control for 100% guarantee.
    @OwlNurse , I like your attitude and I'm glad you have found a method that has helped you so much -- a two week period must have been miserable! 

I also totally agree with your comment about user error. I have friends who take the pill, but have gotten pregnant accidentally because they didn't  take it correctly at the same time everyday. I also have friends who practice NFP and have had "oops" babies. But I know people who practice both well and very successfully, too. What it comes down to for either one is consistency and dedication.

NFP definitely takes extra effort to be successful with, but that doesn't make the method itself unsuccessful -- when practiced correctly, it works quite well. It's just takes some extra planning and self-restraint that many other methods conveniently don't require. I've found that I update my Cycle app around the same time as I update MyFitnessPal in the morning, and I think that the two are pretty similar in my mind -- there's a lot of self-restraint, but you treat yourself when you know you are able to indulge a bit. And some people are great at sticking to their own designed diet, but others may find that they would fall off the wagon too much, and so it's easier to get Blue Apron or use a diet plan that is pre-made for you. Before anybody cries "Hold on, that analogy doens't match up exactly!" let me add that I know this is far from a perfect comparison, but I think the idea behind it is how I personally approach NFP. It's definitely challenging to be my own control against my body's urges (for both sex and cheeseburgers) so they don't conflict with my goals (keeping same waist size for both, ha!), but I am committed to it. FI and I used to be sexually active with one another and I was on the pill, but since I have been off, we have not had sex for over 6 months now. It is crazy hard. But I know that if we can go this long, that I can definitely hold off for a week during my fertile period, I just need to get good at predicting what time period that will be. 

@STARMOON44 , I agree with you that my switch off the pill towards NFP has been primarily for religious reasons, not motivated by any medical concerns. I have friends who aren't religious at all who practice NFP also, but it is still rooted in a life-philosophy for them about being completely natural (they also, you know, make their own shampoo and deodorant, so they are crazy committed). For me, aside from religious reasons, though, I just feel really empowered in tracking my cycle. Sex ed is taught so poorly to girls, like our biology and sexuality is something scary. It's really cool for me to feel fully aware of it and embrace it. For me, NFP is something that has helped me do that more than the pill, which made me feel like I had to "cover" for the way my body works. But that is my own personal experience, and I know it may be very different for others. 

ETA: Just for clarity, while I may think that generally letting your body do it's own thing is generally a good policy, I don't deny or discourage getting medical help if your body is making you miserable/ ill. I've been very blessed to have a fairly regular cycle -- sure, Aunt Flo isn't fun, but she doesn't debilitate me. For those who have crippling, painful periods or abnormally long/short/irregular cycles, a lot of times the medical treatment to regulate things is to take hormones. You'll probably need to go off them if you are TTC, but that doesn't mean your doctor and you might not feel it's best to treat your symptoms when you're not trying. Take care of yourself. Sometimes all-natural is not the healthiest option. Talk with your doctor. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    OwlNurse said:
    I didn't realize so many couples use NFP!
    There are actually more than people would think.   Here in Houston, there is an obgyn office that has 3 doctors who are strictly NFP only (they will not prescribe bc at all), and their schedule is always booked.  
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, do the people here who use the calendar method not have sex during the times they might be fertile, or do you use condoms (or another form of physical birth control)?
  • Options
    @ShesSoCold I saw my gyno this morning - she's having me test out the lowest hormone dose of Loestrin to see if that helps with my skin and the mood swings I've been having along with keeping the IUD in. Fingers crossed that it works! 
  • Options
    scrunchythiefscrunchythief member
    edited February 2016
    nerdwife said:
    Just out of curiosity, do the people here who use the calendar method not have sex during the times they might be fertile, or do you use condoms (or another form of physical birth control)?
    We abstain due to religious reasons.  Though from a medical perspective, even if we weren't opposed to condoms, etc. we'd still abstain.  If you know you're ovulating at that time, then to me it wouldn't make sense to risk the condom breaking.  But there is another philosophy called Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) that I think "allows" the use of condoms during the fertile period.

Also, while the calendar method is technically a method of Natural Family Planning (NFP), it is not a very reliable one, and does not take into account differences between different women's cycles.  Other natural methods, such as Creighton, Marquette, Sympto-Thermal, FAM, etc., do take into account those differences, and are much more effective.  I've generally read studies of 95-99% effective for perfect use and around high 80s to low 90s% for typical use.  Which is pretty comparable to hormonal methods with the chance of user error and better than the typical use of condoms (generally about 80%).  

Part of why NFP is empowering to me is because of how much I learned about my body.  I took college anatomy and physiology and learned more about the female body from studying NFP, even just on a basic anatomical level.  It's not just the joke that is US sex ed, it's the blatant gender discrepancy.  We learned every little bit of the male reproductive system in my classes and skimmed over the female.  I also like that my husband and I can both participate, whether we're trying to avoid or conceive, and it's not just all on me.

(Please read my edit at the bottom if you read this paragraph) The way birth control for men vs. women has been developed and promoted is also extremely troubling to me, from both a Catholic and a feminist perspective.  While trying to develop a male BCP, before the female one was developed, some of the men didn't like the side effects, so they discontinued testing (http://gizmodo.com/where-is-the-male-birth-control-pill-1447917796 I used to have a better source, but can't find it right now).  But, during the testing of female BCP a woman actually died, but they continued the trials (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/1514/3518/7100/Pill_History_FactSheet.pdf on page 5).  Also, they're developed a male birth control that is lower risk to men than the BCP is to women (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/male-birth-control-procedure-in-trials-012313#1) but they're dragging ass on the trials. /endrant

ETA: Modern iterations of the pill are much, much safer than the originals and I didn't mean to worry anyone about them.  And that one death could have been caused by something else, just as can happen in medical trials.  The above paragraph was only meant to show the disregard for women in medical trials, which is not limited to the development of BCP.
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    I assume you're referring to NFP?  
    side note:  Many of us who practice a form of NFP (there are several) don't like it when people refer to our form of NFP as the rhythm / calendar method.   Those methods (as I understand) simply assume that a woman has a 28 day cycle and that she ovulates on day 14.  As you can imagine, that assumption is rarely the case.   I use Creighton,  banana uses Marquette, and I know Monkeysip used Creighton at one point.   Other options are Billings and STM.  These all involve observations of various factors of your body to determine when you are fertile.   It's a LOT more scientific than just counting days. 

Personally, H and I are TTC, so we're a bit opposite.   However, due to religious beliefs  (we are Catholic), we would abstain during fertile times if we were TTA (trying to avoid).
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    OwlNurse said:

@OwlNurse , I like your attitude and I'm glad you have found a method that has helped you so much -- a two week period must have been miserable! 

I also totally agree with your comment about user error. I have friends who take the pill, but have gotten pregnant accidentally because they didn't  take it correctly at the same time everyday. I also have friends who practice NFP and have had "oops" babies. But I know people who practice both well and very successfully, too. What it comes down to for either one is consistency and dedication.

NFP definitely takes extra effort to be successful with, but that doesn't make the method itself unsuccessful -- when practiced correctly, it works quite well. It's just takes some extra planning and self-restraint that many other methods conveniently don't require. I've found that I update my Cycle app around the same time as I update MyFitnessPal in the morning, and I think that the two are pretty similar in my mind -- there's a lot of self-restraint, but you treat yourself when you know you are able to indulge a bit. And some people are great at sticking to their own designed diet, but others may find that they would fall off the wagon too much, and so it's easier to get Blue Apron or use a diet plan that is pre-made for you. Before anybody cries "Hold on, that analogy doens't match up exactly!" let me add that I know this is far from a perfect comparison, but I think the idea behind it is how I personally approach NFP. It's definitely challenging to be my own control against my body's urges (for both sex and cheeseburgers) so they don't conflict with my goals (keeping same waist size for both, ha!), but I am committed to it. FI and I used to be sexually active with one another and I was on the pill, but since I have been off, we have not had sex for over 6 months now. It is crazy hard. But I know that if we can go this long, that I can definitely hold off for a week during my fertile period, I just need to get good at predicting what time period that will be. 

@STARMOON44 , I agree with you that my switch off the pill towards NFP has been primarily for religious reasons, not motivated by any medical concerns. I have friends who aren't religious at all who practice NFP also, but it is still rooted in a life-philosophy for them about being completely natural (they also, you know, make their own shampoo and deodorant, so they are crazy committed). For me, aside from religious reasons, though, I just feel really empowered in tracking my cycle. Sex ed is taught so poorly to girls, like our biology and sexuality is something scary. It's really cool for me to feel fully aware of it and embrace it. For me, NFP is something that has helped me do that more than the pill, which made me feel like I had to "cover" for the way my body works. But that is my own personal experience, and I know it may be very different for others. 

ETA: Just for clarity, while I may think that generally letting your body do it's own thing is generally a good policy, I don't deny or discourage getting medical help if your body is making you miserable/ ill. I've been very blessed to have a fairly regular cycle -- sure, Aunt Flo isn't fun, but she doesn't debilitate me. For those who have crippling, painful periods or abnormally long/short/irregular cycles, a lot of times the medical treatment to regulate things is to take hormones. You'll probably need to go off them if you are TTC, but that doesn't mean your doctor and you might not feel it's best to treat your symptoms when you're not trying. Take care of yourself. Sometimes all-natural is not the healthiest option. Talk with your doctor. 
    I agree that sex ed in the US is a horrific joke, and that girls should learn to be body and sex positive. I guess I disagree in the method - I feel like it's things like BCP and IUDs that are empowering to women. I can have sex with my FI (or anyone, for that matter) at any point in time, without worrying that I will become pregnant before I want to be, and that, to me, is empowering. I guess I would feel more trapped than empowered if I had to constantly check-in on my body temperature and whatnot in order to decide if we could safely have sex without risking pregnancy. But, I get that for you, it felt like taking control of your body and your sexuality, and that's cool, too.

I do have to say one thing though - if you take BCP as directed, it's extraordinarily unlikely that you are going to get pregnant (I think the rate is 95-99% effective). And I think it's ironic that people who cannot remember to take a pill at the same-ish time every day are the ones who end up with a human being to take care of (unless they choose to terminate, which is completely their prerogative). I think if you (general you) can't possibly remember to take a tiny pill every day, then you should consider something like an IUD, which is even more effective. Think about all the things you have to remember to do when you have a baby! 

ETA: If you genuinely have negative side effects from the pill (from a blood clot to decreased sex drive or other issues), I'm obviously not saying you should deal with that anyway. I just find it troubling when people make statements about "putting things in your body" as though BCP and medicine in general are the devil. Many people who lived many years before us could never have dreamed of medical advances like the pill, and I just find this attitude strange to me. 

This. Not having sex when I most want to (always on my most fertile days) is not remotely empowering to me. 
    That's a large conflict with a lot of people using NFP.   The fertile time is when you biologically WANT to have sex.

But if you're on any form of hormones, you're also not going to have a cycle the way that someone who ovulates does.   That's why decreased sex drive is a side effect of the pill.   I do use NFP but I agree - it's much more fun when in the TTC / TTW zone vs the TTA zone.   The woman's libido is a lovely thing that way.

To @nerdwife, I do not use the Calendar Method.   That's considered an out of date method that is not reliable for most people because it requires your cycles to be extremely regular.   I'm not sure if you're calling NFP the Calendar Method but please understand that there are a variety of NFP forms just like there are other methods of BC.   Calendar/Rhythm is the well-known one that's also the least reliable.     

FWIW, I understand both sides of the empowering argument and I *get* the stance of both. 
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    We abstain due to religious reasons.  Though from a medical perspective, even if we weren't opposed to condoms, etc. we'd still abstain.  If you know you're ovulating at that time, then to me it wouldn't make sense to risk the condom breaking.  But there is another philosophy called Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) that I think "allows" the use of condoms during the fertile period.

Also, while the calendar method is technically a method of Natural Family Planning (NFP), it is not a very reliable one, and does not take into account differences between different women's cycles.  Other natural methods, such as Creighton, Marquette, Sympto-Thermal, FAM, etc., do take into account those differences, and are much more effective.  I've generally read studies of 95-99% effective for perfect use and around high 80s to low 90s% for typical use.  Which is pretty comparable to hormonal methods with the chance of user error and better than the typical use of condoms (generally about 80%).  

Part of why NFP is empowering to me is because of how much I learned about my body.  I took college anatomy and physiology and learned more about the female body from studying NFP, even just on a basic anatomical level.  It's not just the joke that is US sex ed, it's the blatant gender discrepancy.  We learned every little bit of the male reproductive system in my classes and skimmed over the female.  I also like that my husband and I can both participate, whether we're trying to avoid or conceive, and it's not just all on me.

The way birth control for men vs. women has been developed and promoted is also extremely troubling to me, from both a Catholic and a feminist perspective.  While trying to develop a male BCP, before the female one was developed, some of the men didn't like the side effects, so they discontinued testing (http://gizmodo.com/where-is-the-male-birth-control-pill-1447917796 I used to have a better source, but can't find it right now).  But, during the testing of female BCP a woman actually died, but they continued the trials (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/1514/3518/7100/Pill_History_FactSheet.pdf on page 5).  Also, they're developed a male birth control that is lower risk to men than the BCP is to women (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/male-birth-control-procedure-in-trials-012313#1) but they're dragging ass on the trials. /endrant

If you're talking medically, as a fertile single lady I absolutely have sex in my fertile window. It's when I'm most likely to bring a stranger home! We use condoms because obvi I don't know where he's been, and if the condom broke (which really isn't common) I'd take Plan B, and if I still somehow wound up pregnant I'd consider an abortion. Medically, if you don't want to get pregnant, that's a perfectly good way to do it! Morally I fully understand you disagree, but it irks me to pretend like your morals are the only medically sound way of doing things. 
    I really didn't mean to imply that my way is the only medically sound way.  Just for me, in my situation.  And I have mostly seen NFP recommended for committed couples, because of the discipline involved.  

And I am sorry for my phrasing, I think it came out a lot more judgmental than I intended.
  • Options
    scrunchythiefscrunchythief member
    edited February 2016
    nerdwife said:

(Please read my edit at the bottom if you read this paragraph) The way birth control for men vs. women has been developed and promoted is also extremely troubling to me, from both a Catholic and a feminist perspective.  While trying to develop a male BCP, before the female one was developed, some of the men didn't like the side effects, so they discontinued testing (http://gizmodo.com/where-is-the-male-birth-control-pill-1447917796 I used to have a better source, but can't find it right now).  But, during the testing of female BCP a woman actually died, but they continued the trials (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/1514/3518/7100/Pill_History_FactSheet.pdf on page 5).  Also, they're developed a male birth control that is lower risk to men than the BCP is to women (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/male-birth-control-procedure-in-trials-012313#1) but they're dragging ass on the trials. /endrant

ETA: Modern iterations of the pill are much, much safer than the originals and I didn't mean to worry anyone about them.  And that one death could have been caused by something else, just as can happen in medical trials.  The above paragraph was only meant to show the disregard for women in medical trials, which is not limited to the development of BCP.
    I realized my post could promote undue fear about the safety of BCP, so I wanted to post again in the off chance someone read it and not my edit.  So please read the bolded parts. 

ETA:  Apparently my fingers are going faster than my brain today, and I really don't want to mislead people, so I'm going to take a break and get caffeine.
  • Options
    @nerdwife, it's all good.  It's a common misrerpresentation.
  • Options
    @nerdwife, thanks for the understanding.   When I've mentioned NFP to others (usually older family members) they comment that, "If you use the rhythm method (usually stated with some eye roll and condescension) and you aren't getting pregnant you have a fertility problem."  I have had to clarify that NFP and the rhythm method are NOT the same thing.  There's often a flippant response I get as if it's just not possible to try to avoid pregnancy without latex or hormones or something inserted in your uterus.  And observing your body is more than just knowing that you had your last period on the 5th of January.   And while I'm not a doctor, neither are any of my family members who think they know all there is to know.  

Do I wish that NFP was used far more often?   Absolutely.  Do I want to open up a giant debate right now?   NOOOOOOOO.   I *get* the other side of the argument.

• Options
    I know tubal ligation has been brought up, I know women who love this and if you don't want children or you are done this is a great idea, just make sure they cut and cauterise, not just clamp. How about vasectomy? Would any of your FI's or H's consider a vasectomy if you are done having children or you don't want any? It's less invasive than a tubal and easier to recover from. 
  • Options
    I know tubal ligation has been brought up, I know women who love this and if you don't want children or you are done this is a great idea, just make sure they cut and cauterise, not just clamp. How about vasectomy? Would any of your FI's or H's consider a vasectomy if you are done having children or you don't want any? It's less invasive than a tubal and easier to recover from. 
    In a general sense, FI and I have talked about using vasectomy when we're done having kids because it is less invasive and also less risky (ectopic pregnancy, while I believe rare, is a serious complication of tubal ligation). But since we haven't even started our baby-making journey, we haven't talked about it very seriously. 
  • Options
    DS was measuring large for dates and I had gestational diabetes.  They had me scheduled for an induction if I didn't deliver before my due date.  (Luckily, I went into labor on my own early that morning, and DS was born about an hour before we were supposed to arrive for the induction.  It turned out he was measuring large because he's just really tall, 98th percentile for height.) 

So because of all that, I knew there was a chance of ending up with a C-section.  DH and I talked about it, and we knew DS was our last, so we agreed that IF they ended up doing a C-section and IF there were no complications from the birth or surgery, they could go in and do a tubal "while they were already rooting around in there."  When DS arrived the old fashioned way, it was moot.

Afterward, we sort of idly discussed a vasectomy.  TBH, Mirena has worked so well for us that we haven't felt the need to do anything else.  At this point, the risk of my getting pregnant is really low, and by the time this one's 5 years are up, I may be looking at menopause.  We've discussed it and agreed that in the unlikely event that I do get pregnant, we'll deal--it would be inconvenient and unplanned, but not a disaster.  So we're just going to let it ride.
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    I guess I'm in the minority here but I definitely still have sex with condoms during my fertile window! For me, having to abstain for that long (it can be quite a good chunk of the month, depending on your cycle and how much of a "buffer" you feel comfortable giving yourself to make sure you're fully out of the fertile wind) would be a deal breaker. I'm not using NFP for religious reasons though (atheist). 

I also have to say that I don't think there's anything superior about NFP because it's more "natural"... that's kind of like saying, it's more natural to not get vaccines so I'm not going to (which is stupid, sorry not sorry). I think the idea that modern medicine, which helps us deal with everything from severe medical conditions to mild inconveniences, is unnatural and that it's somehow preferable to do without it whenever possible is a dangerous sentiment.

Also yeah let's just talk about how it's fucked up that pretty much every form of birth control puts the burden on women, who are fertile like five days a month for 20-30 years, rather than men who are fertile every day of their lives from the time they hit puberty. I think that's just so messed up.
    #preach
  • Options
    nerdwife said:

This I think is a dangerous/condescending position to take. I would be using an IUD or be on BCP even if my periods were wonderful vacations, because I don't want to get pregnant, and I want to have sex whenever I feel like it. 
    @nerdwife , just wanted to say, I apologize if my earlier ETA comment came off the wrong way. I did not mean for it to be condescending or insulting to anybody using an IUD or BCP -- as somebody who used to take the pill for reproductive reasons and still has many close friends who do, I respect your ability and right to decide how to practice your sexuality in whatever way you prefer. If you feel more confident and comfortable using another method, then more power to you, and I am not here to say I know what is or isn't best for any woman, that is up to each individual. I was just sharing my own experience. In fact, I simply meant to add that even from my viewpoint (which is that and only that -- a personal opinion) where I value the "natural" aspect of NFP, I do acknowledge the medical efficacy of the pill, and would disagree with any NFPers who argue taking hormones is never good. It was more of my defining my position within the scope of those within the NFP philosophy, not without it.  I definitely didn't mean to imply those that practice other methods are wrong or unjustified in using BCP for personal reasons beyond medical menstrual concerns. Sorry if that came out wrong. 

• Options
    nerdwifenerdwife member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    nerdwife said:

This I think is a dangerous/condescending position to take. I would be using an IUD or be on BCP even if my periods were wonderful vacations, because I don't want to get pregnant, and I want to have sex whenever I feel like it. 
    @nerdwife , just wanted to say, I apologize if my earlier ETA comment came off the wrong way. I did not mean for it to be condescending or insulting to anybody using an IUD or BCP -- as somebody who used to take the pill for reproductive reasons and still has many close friends who do, I respect your ability and right to decide how to practice your sexuality in whatever way you prefer. If you feel more confident and comfortable using another method, then more power to you, and I am not here to say I know what is or isn't best for any woman, that is up to each individual. I was just sharing my own experience. In fact, I simply meant to add that even from my viewpoint (which is that and only that -- a personal opinion) where I value the "natural" aspect of NFP, I do acknowledge the medical efficacy of the pill, and would disagree with any NFPers who argue taking hormones is never good. It was more of my defining my position within the scope of those within the NFP philosophy, not without it.  I definitely didn't mean to imply those that practice other methods are wrong or unjustified in using BCP for personal reasons beyond medical menstrual concerns. Sorry if that came out wrong. 
    To me, this is the core value of feminism - that women have choices (BCP or not; work full time, part time, or stay at home; access to abortion; etc.) and that women respect those choices. You (general you) can be anti-BCP, anti-abortion, think all mothers should or shouldn't work outside the home, and make your choices based on those beliefs, while other women could think the opposite and make their choices accordingly.

So, I appreciate your response and I get where you're coming from. It sounded bad to me and I just wanted to point out the problem with that logic, but certainly no hard feelings!

ETA: Okay, well, actually the core value of feminism is that women and men should be equal. I guess I mean the best way to support that value/goal.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    DS was measuring large for dates and I had gestational diabetes.  They had me scheduled for an induction if I didn't deliver before my due date.  (Luckily, I went into labor on my own early that morning, and DS was born about an hour before we were supposed to arrive for the induction.  It turned out he was measuring large because he's just really tall, 98th percentile for height.) 

So because of all that, I knew there was a chance of ending up with a C-section.  DH and I talked about it, and we knew DS was our last, so we agreed that IF they ended up doing a C-section and IF there were no complications from the birth or surgery, they could go in and do a tubal "while they were already rooting around in there."  When DS arrived the old fashioned way, it was moot.

Afterward, we sort of idly discussed a vasectomy.  TBH, Mirena has worked so well for us that we haven't felt the need to do anything else.  At this point, the risk of my getting pregnant is really low, and by the time this one's 5 years are up, I may be looking at menopause.  We've discussed it and agreed that in the unlikely event that I do get pregnant, we'll deal--it would be inconvenient and unplanned, but not a disaster.  So we're just going to let it ride.
    I would love FH to get a vasectomy, but I would still probably use the Mirena for the benefits I mentioned in my first post, so there's really no need. Between PCOS & Mirena, not having a period almost ever (I have some light spotting 3-4x a year) is pretty amazing. I haven't noticed a PMS cycle but honestly I'm neurotic all the time anyway so who would notice  :D
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    Hormones from birth control =/= hormones used to treat hormonal imbalances.

There's three very important difference.  First of all, a good doctor will use bioidentical hormones, not synthetic ones like the ones found in BCP.

Second, to treat a hormonal imbalance, you need to figure out the exact amounts of hormones you're actually imbalanced in, and need to take just those amounts.  Taking too much/too little/ or not the right hormones can cause even more problems.

Third, hormones are supposed to be taken at the proper time in your cycle, according to your body's natural rhythms.  BCP doesn't do that, hence why it stops your body from ovulating.  And that's kind of the whole point... if something is STOPPING you from ovulating, then it's NOT balancing your hormones out.  Balancing hormones would equal a healthy ovulation.  What your reproductive system is supposed to do...

I'm all for identifying hormonal imbalances and treating them when you need to.  But using BCP for that is like taking a bunch of random antibiotics in varying amounts, hoping to fight off an infection.

This is utter nonsense. You aren't a doctor. I get that NFP works well for you, and I agree that it can be a good idea, but this is made up pseudoscience. 

As as is the entire idea that there is any medical advantage to abstaining from sex during your fertile times instead of using condoms then. That's a moral issue and pretending otherwise makes you look foolish. 
    WHERE did I say there was a medical advantage to abstaining from sex?  I didn't even mention NFP in the above post.

My post isn't about NFP.  It's about reproductive health.  Everything I just said above could be checked by a doctor.  You don't just randomly take hormones to "treat a hormone problem".  I'm also not pretending to a be a doctor diagnosing any problems for anyone.  I just don't like people thinking that taking BC is the best way to treat a hormonal issue... it isn't.  

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards