Wedding Woes

WFD this week?

I'm in a rut and need inspiration.

I also need to buy pork.  I got a 4 pack from Costco and they were rancid. 

Re: WFD this week?

• We didn't grocery shop this weekend so we're fending for ourselves tonight. Tomorrow is my grandma's wake so we'll munch on whatever food is there and Thursday we're doing dinner after her funeral. Friday is too far ahead to think about but I think I have some pulled pork I can defrost.

So I'm no help at all.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We had chicken fajitas last night. They were so good! I don't have plans for dinner the rest of the week, though.

• whatever will spoil if not used in the next 2 days. (trying to clean stuff out before we leave for vacation)
  • Last night - Velveeta mac-n-cheese.  :)

Tonight - mini-meatballs are in the crock-pot as we speak.  I'm making french bread later on today.  DH is going to pair them with ravioli. I'm going to have angle hair. 

Rest of the week I'm not sure.    I'm sure a meatball sub is in the future before I freeze the leftovers. Maybe go out tomorrow?

I'm not much help.  DH works dinners Thurs-Sunday.   I normally eat pretty simply on those days.     I have a freezer full of proteins and frozen veggies. I have a pantry full of stuff.  I will just grab something out of the freezer, throw in some veggies, maybe starch and call it dinner.  

Go to meals:

marinating pork, chicken or turkey in olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, S&P and thyme.   Then grill or bake.   Veggies and a starch I have on hand.

Stir fry.   Tuna, pork or chicken.   Throw in some island teriyaki .   Then add rice and whatever veggies I might have.

Crock-pot pulled pork,  meatballs or  chick-pot-pie.  Then freeze the leftovers for future meals.   At any given time I have all of the above in the freezer to just grab when I want.

DH loves to go out to eat on his days off.   So I tend to be cheap and simple on days I'm alone for dinner.   Last week I had a yogurt and an apple for dinner.

Sorry I'm lacking no inspiring dishes for you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2016
    I pulled out a cookbook last night for our chicken.  I was bored with our 'usual' chicken recipes.  I found one that I had most of the ingredients and could get the rest easily.  It turned out well. 

Tonight: Tortellini
    Tomorrow: Pulled pork butt with a new bbq sauce I picked up at Trader Joe's.
    Thursday: Since it's going to be sunny, albeit a little cold, I may do steak.  If not, I have no clue. 
    Friday: Homemade pizza
  • DH made chili last night and we'll probably have leftovers tonight.  Otherwise we have the fixings for:  Roast in the crockpot, Swedish meatballs, breakfast for dinner, waffles, calico beans in the crockpot and peanut butter and jelly.
  • I'm starting to think y'all are mocking me with the pork dinners.

Last night was "lo mein."  It's in quotes because it's a cheater one.  Tonight is sausage and beans.  Pot pies might be good.  I have all the stuff in the freezer even crust. 
  • Restaurant Week, woo! I'm going to a wine bar/bistro. 

Bummer on the rancid meat. A coworker was just telling me he was out sick yesterday due to food poisoning. Potluck wake; someone didn't look at the expiration date on their sour cream before making dip. Ewwwwwww. 

• On Sunday we made stuffed pork chops (thick cut pork chops with a mix of cheese, potato, shredded carrots, and spices)

Last Night was Baked Chicken Breast with a Lemon and Thyme rub and a side of mashed Cauliflower.

Tonight is pan fried NY Strips with Caramelized onions and a hint of Taco Blend Cheese, served with a side salad.

Tomorrow is Home Made Pizza Night (with Sausage!).  I usually make them a traditional round single serving on some cookie sheets, but last time I made them more of deep dish and used my brownie trays...OMG good.  Using left over dough for some garlic knots (baste with a mixture of EVOO, Melted Butter, Minced Garlic and sprinkle with Parsley), with extra sauce for dipping and whatever veggie I decide to make. 

Thursday is Pork Stir Fry (Boneless Spare Rib cut into small chunks) with peas, carrots, corn, Zucchini, caramelized onions and garlic, mushrooms and brown rice.

Friday, we go out

Saturday, whatever leftovers we have for lunch, and either pulled pork, 3-Bean Chili or Broccoli and Cheddar Soup in the crock pot.

• lyndausvi said:

marinating pork, chicken or turkey in olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, S&P and thyme.   Then grill or bake.   Veggies and a starch I have
    This sounds so good! I'm going to have to do it one night this week!

• Tonight:  cheat night, pre-made lasagna from our favorite pasta shop/Italian market.  I let Wooz pick, and she went for the chicken lasagna.  Breadsticks.  Salad for the grownups, steamed green beans for the kiddos.

Tomorrow:  chicken enchiladas suizas (from scratch), sliced avocado, and then rice (if I'm in a hurry) or sweet corn cake (if I'm not).  So probably the rice.

Thursday:  swim class, so probably CFA.  Again.  The kids love it, and DH and I are hooked on their chicken tortilla soup.  It's seasonal, so we have to gorge ourselves while we can.  (I did find one of those knockoff recipes that was pretty good--not quite the same, but good in its own right).

Friday:  probably breakfast for dinner

Saturday:  TBD, usually takeout/go out
  • FMIL made a sweet potato sheppard's pie last night.. It was pretty good. I'm probably not going to eat dinner tonight. I just scarfed down a beef/chicken veggie rice bowl and I'm super exhausted. FI can fend for himself tonight. Tomorrow night is Crockpot French Onion Soup, I'm definitely looking forward to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tonight - something with ground beef. Not sure what, but I told H to pull it out of the freezer.

Tomorrow night - one pot balsamic chicken with veggies. Like @mrs.conn23, I'm also sick of our regular chicken recipes so I pulled this off of pinterest. Looks easy and has minimal clean up.

Thursday will be garlic herb spaghetti squash with pine nuts and gruyere cheese. Another pinterest recipe I just found that looks easy and tasty. 

Not sure on the rest of the week - I'm leaving that up to H. It will probably be leftovers and takeout from Wegmans.
  • Tonight is lasagna And I have no idea for the rest of the week. I have chicken, a pork loin, and some ground beef so I'm sure I'll figure something out.
  • No plans until Sunday. Pulled pork in the crock pot, homemade coleslaw, broccoli salad, buffalo chicken dip, 7 layer greek dip, and puppy chow. Might do little smokies too. We are only having 2 people over so most of this is for me to eat as left overs next week, lol.

We tend to fend for ourselves during the week. I made a huge batch of chicken noodle soup last weekend, so I will have some of the tonight. We have meatballs and tortellinis in the freezer if I get sick of soup. 
  • Thai green curry tonight made by FI in the slow cooker (I think this is what you guys all call crockpot but I can't tell). We made a huge batch so come Thursday we'll probably be sick to the back teeth of it. 

• @glasgowtolondon Crock Pot is the name brand for a slow cooker.  Like we call tissues Kleenex sometimes. 
  • 6fsn said:
    @glasgowtolondon Crock Pot is the name brand for a slow cooker.  Like we call tissues Kleenex sometimes. 
    Ahhhhh, did not know that. I thought this was an elevator / lift situation. 

• Tonight I'm doing ribs in the oven and mashed potatoes.  I've never done the ribs this way; we always grill them.  I hope they turn out ok.  I fear they'll be horribly dry.
  • edited February 2016
    DH has class on Tuesday nights so I'm on my own.  The other day, DH bought 6 lbs. of chicken breasts, because it was on sale and chicken is my go-to healthy food lately.  I was going to do sweet & sour chicken, but one of my clients just brought me 15 fresh lemons off his tree, so I'm thinking I need to find some sort of simple and yummy lemon chicken recipe for tonight.  Or I may just throw some garlic, lemon, and rosemary on the chicken and see how it turns out.

DH usually does most of our cooking, but we've gotten busy and lazy and started eating out more.  We are trying to cut back on that, so I'm trying to get more involved in cooking at home.  I am liking how easy it is to cook chicken in our NuWave Oven though.

• tawillers said:
    Tonight I'm doing ribs in the oven and mashed potatoes.  I've never done the ribs this way; we always grill them.  I hope they turn out ok.  I fear they'll be horribly dry.
    Foil, foil, foil.  Are you doing them in a pan with a rack?  If so, put some water in the bottom of the pan.  Also you can put diluted apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray them a few times to keep them from drying out. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    tawillers said:
    Tonight I'm doing ribs in the oven and mashed potatoes.  I've never done the ribs this way; we always grill them.  I hope they turn out ok.  I fear they'll be horribly dry.
    Foil, foil, foil.  Are you doing them in a pan with a rack?  If so, put some water in the bottom of the pan.  Also you can put diluted apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray them a few times to keep them from drying out. 
    If you have the time to cook them low and slow, wrap the rack in saran wrap (or a like product) then foil.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2016
    My instructions say on a rack on a foiled pan at 450 for 30 min.  Then cover ribs with foil and wait for the temp to drop to 350.  1.5 hours at 350 and then at least 20 more minutes once you put the sauce on.

I put them in 15 min ago.  Should I add water to the foiled pan?

ETA - they're boneless back ribs.
  • tawillers said:
    My instructions say on a rack on a foiled pan at 450 for 30 min.  Then cover ribs with foil and wait for the temp to drop to 350.  1.5 hours at 350 and then at least 20 more minutes once you put the sauce on.

I put them in 15 min ago.  Should I add water to the foiled pan?

ETA - they're boneless back ribs.
    water would be good, apple juice or pineapple juice would be better. wine too. 

that sounds like it will dry the heck out of them. 

did you brown them in a frying pan first?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards