Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dying Wedding Veil

Hi - I want to use my aunt's wedding veil as my something old or something borrowed. My granddad bought it for her in Spain and she is very excited that I am interested in wearing it.

My wedding dress color is white, but the veil is champagne. My aunt suggested dying it. Is it possible to dye the veil white? I've read online ways to dye it ivory, but I haven't seen much on dying it white.

Does anyone have advice/suggestions or is this completely crazy?

Re: Dying Wedding Veil

• Options
    geebee908geebee908 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    Hi - I want to use my aunt's wedding veil as my something old or something borrowed. My granddad bought it for her in Spain and she is very excited that I am interested in wearing it.

My wedding dress color is white, but the veil is champagne. My aunt suggested dying it. Is it possible to dye the veil white? I've read online ways to dye it ivory, but I haven't seen much on dying it white.

Does anyone have advice/suggestions or is this completely crazy?
    I would not try this. Some sort of bleaching action would be needed and that will likely be too harsh and damage the veil given its age .
  • Options
    No.  It is not possible.  Bleaching will destroy the veil.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    How noticeable is the color difference? I wouldn't try bleaching it since it is a delicate fabric, but if the difference in color isn't great I wouldn't worry about it. My veil was white, my daughter's dress was ivory. The difference was not noticeable.
  • Options
    I wouldn't try to dye it. I've done some searching on how to clean a veil since I'm wearing my mom's, but I haven't actually tried it so I don't want to give advice other than to google it. Since it's an older veil it may be slightly discolored from dust so cleaning it could lighten it up a little. I'd consult someone who knows more about it before trying anything.
  • Options
    LOL!  Are you planning a funeral for your veil?  OK, I apologize for my joke.  Really, it's "dyeing", not "dying", and you cannot dye anything white.  You can only bleach the color out of some fabrics.  Chances are the veil includes nylon net, and if it does, nothing will change the color.  The color is set in the chemical process of making the tulle or net.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    O.k. your best/only bet is to take it to the dry cleaners and have it cleaned, otherwise, leave it alone.  You do not want it ruined.  You do not need to be matchy-matchy with your whites when it comes to something such as a veil like this!  The reason for wearing it is the sentimental, not modernistic style.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards