Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Halfway there.  What's on for the day?

I have mom ministry this am, then the kids have a program at the park, then PSR tonight. 

We just signed 6let up for lacrosse.  Should be interesting.

Re: Wednesday

• We survived the big storm.  There wasn't as much snow or wind as they predicted for our area.  Schools are still closed today but mostly because there haven't been any snow days yet this school year.

I'm at work.  Volunteering was cancelled tonight because school is closed.  The dealership had to keep the car overnight so hoping to pick that up after work.  

Still living the dream  :)
  • I have to drop off some work this morning.  I think since DD2 and I have to go out, we'll grab breakfast somewhere.

We're having a couple friends over for the superbowl, so I'm trying to plan a menu.  Everything looks good and it's hard to narrow down.
  • So for anyone who wasn't on FB last night, I got a ticket when I was almost home.  Rolled through a stop sign, which is pretty common at that intersection.  (Not that it's an excuse, I know.)  Cop was going the opposite direction on the street I was turning onto, so I didn't see him until I was already turning.  (He was in an Explorer, not unmarked, but the kind without the lights on top.  To be fair, I, like, totally paused.  But it would not meet anyone's definition of a full and complete stop.) 

httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom736xc7a38dc7a38dccd089b20036b633549d89e8c9jpg

He put his lights on and turned around, so I figured he was coming after me.  Our neighborhood entrance was immediately after the turn, so I turned and he showed up right behind us.  So on the plus side, I was off the main road, but on the minus side, all of our neighbors were driving by.

He wasn't playing, either--he was super nice and polite, but it was one of those where he showed up and already had the ticket started, collected my license and registration, and immediately disappeared back into his car.  The next time I saw him, he was handing me the completed ticket.  For $238.  UGH.  And really, it's no one's fault but mine, and it sucks:  $50 fine + $188 in "court costs."  WHAT?!  Grumble, grumble.  And as I posted last night, the worst part was, he put my Outback down as a station wagon.  I take exception to that. 

Station wagon:

httpsuploadwikimediaorgwikipediacommons113Plymouth_Reliant_Station_Wagon_latejpg

Outback:

httpwwwsubaruoutbackorgforumsattachmentsoutback-unpaved46633d1376567344-off-roading-colorado-mountains-1376567331178jpg

It was an otherwise good day, at least.  And the kids were entertained:  DS kept talking about the police car, Wooz kept asking me questions:  "Were you speeding?"  "Why didn't you stop all the way?"  "Is this the first time you've gotten a ticket?" "Do you have to go to jail?"  (She didn't seem super worried about that last one, merely curious.  o_O.)  DH was sweet, he was indignant on my behalf, even though I didn't really deserve it.  He was like "Doesn't he have anything better to do than stop a mom with two kids two blocks from their house?"  No, honestly, he almost certainly didn't.  That's probably the most action our side of town has seen since the police were directing traffic around the Christmas parade and tree lighting.

So now I have to figure out what to do about it.  He claimed he had dash cam footage of me failing to stop completely, so now I'm looking into this NC thing about "prayer for judgment."  I think one of DH's benefits is some free legal service--not an EAP referral, but an actual attorney, so maybe I'll look into that.  (The bank has really excellent benefits, between that and the backup nanny who goes to your house when your kid can't go to DC.) 

• I just can't get motivated today. I have a hair appointment at 10 so rather than doing anything before hand I'm sitting on the couch with the cat and the dog (who are miraculously NOT fighting!) drinking coffee, listening to NPR, and watching the pouring rain. I'll get up in just in time to rush off to get my hair done. 

Sorry to to hear about the ticket @Heffalump although I love the Clueless picture. And I agree an outback is so not a station wagon. 

Good of luck to your H on his interview @mrs.conn23!
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2016
    Oh, I should probably ETA this, but my post above is long enough as it is.  Are y'all familiar with The Gummy Bear Song?  Although apparently it has been a thing for a long time, I wasn't aware of it until DS's class started listening to it every day around pickup time.  For whatever reason he LOVES it, so that's what we had on in the car.  And I was distracted enough by being pulled over that I didn't really think about the soundtrack, until I rolled down the window, the cop said "License and registration?" and in the background you hear "Oh I'm a movin', groovin', jammin', singin' gummy bear!"  I muted it after that.  :blush: 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Heffalump said:
    Oh, I should probably ETA this, but my post above is long enough as it is.  Are y'all familiar with The Gummy Bear song?  Although apparently it has been a thing for a long time, I wasn't aware of it until DS's class started listening to it every day around pickup time.  For whatever reason, and he LOVES it, so that's what we had on in the car.  And I was distracted enough by being pulled over that I didn't really think about the soundtrack, until I rolled down the window, the cop said "License and registration?" and in the background you hear "Oh I'm a movin', groovin', Jammin', Singin' Gummy Bear!"  I muted it after that.  :blush: 
    DefConn LOVED that song at your DS's age.  It was an endless loop of Pharrell's "Happy" and the Gummy Bear Song.   Oh and then "What Does the Fox Say?" 

Now it's country (Florida/Georgia Line) ALL THE TIME.  ;) 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    edited February 2016
    Heffalump said:
    Oh, I should probably ETA this, but my post above is long enough as it is.  Are y'all familiar with The Gummy Bear song?  Although apparently it has been a thing for a long time, I wasn't aware of it until DS's class started listening to it every day around pickup time.  For whatever reason, and he LOVES it, so that's what we had on in the car.  And I was distracted enough by being pulled over that I didn't really think about the soundtrack, until I rolled down the window, the cop said "License and registration?" and in the background you hear "Oh I'm a movin', groovin', Jammin', Singin' Gummy Bear!"  I muted it after that.  :blush: 
    DefConn LOVED that song at your DS's age.  It was an endless loop of Pharrell's "Happy" and the Gummy Bear Song.   Oh and then "What Does the Fox Say?" 

Now it's country (Florida/Georgia Line) ALL THE TIME.  ;) 
    The Gummy Bear Song would ordinarily drive me nuts, but before that both of them wanted the song from Frozen Fever all.the.time.  (DS calls it "birthday":  "I want Birthday!  I want Birthday song!")  So after approximately 363 hours of "Making Today a Perfect Day For You," I'm like "Gummy Bear song?  Sure!  Endless loop of nails on a blackboard?  Why not!"

DH's big interview is today.    ::fingers crossed:: 

Crossing all crossables!  All the purple vibes for mr.conn!

• Today marks the beginning of the craziness that will be taking place for the remainder of the week and this weekend.

DH is supposed to have a phone interview for an aerial surveying job (he finished his pilot's license in December). We are hoping and praying that he gets it!!!

I'm working (ish). When I get off, I'm going to have to rush home and change clothes, and head over to the church. We're having a women's conference this weekend, and I'm helping staff it. We've got lots and lots of setting up and decorating to do. After that, worship band practice until about 10 pm- which is way too late for my old lady self. Oh well. You've gotta do what you've gotta do I guess.

• I am dragging today. By 4 pm yesterday day my head was killing me. By 6 pm, I was done. After I got DD ready for bed, I took some nighttime cold medicine which takes forever to clear out of my system, asked DH to finish up DS's homework with him and by 7:30 pm I was out. I think I have a sinus infection, so I'm going to go pick up a saline spray and clean out my sinuses tonight in hopes that it doesn't get worse.

I'm hoping today goes by quickly.
  • Last night I tore apart my room looking for a video game only to find out that there was an update and I no longer need the CD to play it *happy dance*

Today was going good until Supervisor1 was looking for some hand held radios, I told him I didn't have all 5, but I did have 2 (in plain sight). Leech Supervisor comes over to my little corner and starts going though my stuff looking of them. I tell her that I don't have them and asked if she could stop going through my drawers and cabinets. She then accusingly asked me if I have them, again I say no. She walks away and goes in her office and I hear her start laughing "oh here they are.. teehee". I've been at work an hour and I want today to be over already. Guess its time to go to my other office.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This morning, as I was just starting to get out of bed, my dog started dripping and salivating a lot, which means she's going to yak. We don't have a fence so I'm scrambling to put real pants on (I was wearing tiny ass PJ shorts) and get her outside to puke. Nope. She horked right in the dining room. This is usually H's department but he was already gone so I had to clean it up. And then I yakked. So gross.

I'm only working for a few hours today before my grandma's wake. I might run back to the store because I'm insecure with my dress purchase from last night. I was going to wear a dress-dress but my sister said she's wearing a sweater dress. So I dunno. Being a girl is hard.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I don't play kids' music in my car - as such, Wolverine listens to a mix of pop/punk/rock/80s stuff. Fortunately, she seems to sing along to the "clean" stuff, so I haven't had any calls from school. 

I leave for vacation tomorrow and I have a PT appointment at lunch, so my motivation to work today is minimal. 

@Heffalump - that is probably the worst possible picture of the majestic Outback - it looks like it fell into a ditch! 

I'm extra cautious in our neighborhood and any subdivisions that I cut through because the TX cops usually hang out and watch the stop signs.

I got a ticket for the same thing in PA (rollling through) even though I actually stopped. The problem in my situation is that the stop sign is about 5 feet before the (blind) intersection so if you stop at the sign, you still have to inch up to make sure that it's clear. There's no way in hell he could have see the sign where he was parked, so he gave me a ticket for inching up to make sure I could go. I didn't even see the cop car on the street, so there's no way he could have seen me. 

• *Barbie* said:
    I got a ticket for the same thing in PA (rollling through) even though I actually stopped. The problem in my situation is that the stop sign is about 5 feet before the (blind) intersection so if you stop at the sign, you still have to inch up to make sure that it's clear. There's no way in hell he could have see the sign where he was parked, so he gave me a ticket for inching up to make sure I could go. I didn't even see the cop car on the street, so there's no way he could have seen me. 

Ooooh, I like that.  I think that could be a plausible defense.  DH said he'll take a look at how to access his legal benefit when we get home tonight, but he did confirm that it's free.  Yay for free, anyway.

Also, the Outback in my photo is off-roading in the Rockies, but perhaps this one will suit you better?

httpwwwautoguidecomimagescontent2010SubaruOutback36R-home_rdax_646x258jpg

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited February 2016
    Those court costs are bullshit.  I hate that cities/counties have started to do that shit.  Realistically, the ticket cost is probably what it's at if you/attorney tried to negotiate it down b/c they usually bust it down to equipment malfunction and then high court costs.  Basically you pay through the nose to keep it off your insurance.  Whether or not a moving violation will show on your insurance, I think depends on your state rules re: insurance.  It's been a good decade since I worked on tickets, so take that last part with a major grain of salt.

My back is still killing me today.  But I feel a lot better.  Have a project that was already big on my desk, found out that person on the other side didn't do their job, and now it's exponentially bigger.  Blerg.

BUT TOMORROW IS RACHEL MADDOW FINALLY MODERATING THE DEMOCRAT DEBATE.  She should moderate all of them.  Another friend and I are hosting a party for it.  It's basically turned into a queer woman gaze fest at smarty-pants the hotness Maddow.  We plan on hashtagging everything #moreMaddow when the other moderator talks.  :smile: 
  • Good luck to Mr.@mrs.conn!!

@heffalump- That ticket is more than DH's for hitting someone.  He had something that if he paid in full on-line prior to a certain time it was reduced a touch.
  • @Heffalump - better pic! 

Does NC have any kind of rules where you can get a ticket thrown out for a small fee if you do a defensive driving class? (TX does - my office does the driving classes for free a few times a year and you can get a ticket dismissed if you pay a $25 fee. I think there's a time limit - e.g. you need to do the class within a few months of getting the ticket, but I know some people do that. I take the class every few years because it's free and I get an insurance discount.)
  • I'm slowly settling back in after being in class all last week in Florida.  My gosh my skills atrophied while I have been doing the SAHM gig!  Thankfully the class ended on a super positive note with the person I was partnered up with for the last of the breakouts (that one seemed like my skills were back to sharp).  I definitely learned a ton about myself while there.  One thing is for certain - I NEEDED that time away to connect with my self again! 

In spite of eating out at every meal (including actually eating lunch which most of the time I skip for myself), I managed to drop just under 10 lbs. which was an awesome discovery when I returned!  It also was great to get away alone because the week before two of my lifting friends passed away (one from cancer and the other who was on the edge of "inner circle" friend passed unexpectedly) so I got some time to just reflect then celebrated with a "Foodie dinner" (something the friend who passed unexpectedly was known for doing) at the top of Cinderella's castle in the Magic Kingdom after striking out at Epcot...  My gosh - best steak I ever ate!  Of course the whole time I was thinking "I could never take DH to a meal like this!" (just not his thing) LOL.. 

• *Barbie* said:
    @Heffalump - better pic! 

Does NC have any kind of rules where you can get a ticket thrown out for a small fee if you do a defensive driving class? (TX does - my office does the driving classes for free a few times a year and you can get a ticket dismissed if you pay a $25 fee. I think there's a time limit - e.g. you need to do the class within a few months of getting the ticket, but I know some people do that. I take the class every few years because it's free and I get an insurance discount.)
    Illinois did.  In my younger days, I attended a couple of times.  It was total bullshit, but it made the ticket disappear.  I don't -think- NC does--we've been poking around and not finding anything formal.  (Whereas in IL, the ticket itself contained the instructions for registering for traffic safety school.)  I think this another area where a lawyer will be helpful.

I looked it up, and if I pleaded guilty and paid the fine, it would be three points on my record.  Three!  That is worse than driving with an unrestrained child (2 pts), and as bad as driving without a license or insurance.  They need a 1-point option for "totally paused," as opposed to straight-up blowing through the intersection.
  • Wow.  That's high.  Yeah, a lawyer might not be a bad idea.  You might not save any money on the ticket/fee combination, but at least you won't have those points.
  • Do you get any points knocked off for showing up to court rather than just paying the fine?  When I lived in WI, they would knock off a point or two for going to court.

• That fine is more than what my friend got for going more than 20 mph over the limit.  In NJ.  With out of state tags.  That's crazy.

Also, I'm very confused as to why places would take points of if you go to court as opposed to just paying.  Doesn't that waste court time/tax payer money?
  • @scrunchythief, I'm not sure, I went to court and they knocked it down 2 points.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards