Chit Chat

Irrational/rational annoyances 02-03-16

Re: Irrational/rational annoyances 02-03-16

• Grammar mistakes that bother me more than they should:

"Me and my fiance" instead of "My fiance and I," or simply "We."

Misuse of the word "unique."  It does not mean unusual; it means one of a kind."  Nothing can be "very unique" or  "most unique".

Two, too, to.

People who post without capital letters or punctuation.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • lyndausvi said:
    I was reading questions on Reddit's personal finance board.    A few people suggested to this one guy to steal wifi and/or  knock on their neighbor's door and offer to pay half of the bill.

Now am I the only one who would fucking laugh in my neighbor's face if they asked me to share wifi?  (it's already secured so they can't steal it).   I need wifi for work.  DH's streams movies.  I'm not sharing my wifi with my neighbor.  Hell no.

I'm a just a bitch or would you share your internet with your neighbor?
    Sugar yes, wifi no.  For the same reason as you.  I'm probably at my cap as is!

• My IA is when people add an S to the end of a word when it doesn't belong (usually a store). There is no S at the end of Nordstrom. There is no S at the end of Kroger. It drives me up a wall. 

Also, when people ask me, "are you busy?" Yes, I'm busy. Please just ask me what you need to ask me or tell me what you need. That sounds a little rude, I know, but it really annoys me. 
  • Oh, and rational annoyance: Go Fund Me pages for college. I'm not paying for your college. I'm still paying for my own. 
  • I have another one. Our breakroom at work had a box from Paradise bakery with cookies. There were 2 left and I took one that I wasn't 100% sure on flavor - it was gingerbread. I hate gingerbread. I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed that it was gingerbread and not a flavor I like or that I still ended up eating the cookie :)
  • Another IA: "advice" vs "advise". I have seen SOOOO many posts on here and other boards asking for "advise" on something. UGH. No.

• My bosses ask me at least 3 times a week when I close on my house. They do shit like this regularly - they know a small fact about my personal life and then ask the same. fucking. question. about it like 1,000 times. If you don't care enough to remember the first 48 times I tell you, don't pretend to care enough to ask.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My IA is that today I found out that one of the junior members of my department doesn't actually work from home when she says she is because she can't be bothered to have IT install the VPN shortcut on her laptop.
  • On the subject of college, I am rationally annoyed at everyone who gets a degree in whatever and then whines and complains about no job opportunities. There are plenty of job opportunities. I just feel like a lot of today's millennials (and yes, I'm one of them) want to step right out of college and into their dream job in their dream city.  Sorry, that's not the way it works, even with a degree. You have to start at the bottom, and I see a lot of people who aren't willing to do that. 

I got a degree in journalism. Yes, the industry that everybody says is "dying." Yes, the industry that regularly lands on "lowest-paying jobs" lists. 

A month before I graduated, I had two job offers (one full-time permanent, one full-time temp for four months) plus discussions opened for a possible third. I took the full-time permanent one. Is it my dream job? No. I had to work a schedule that wasn't ideal, Tues-Sat, for over a year. I moved to a small town for the job (my H and I like small towns). 

It takes hard work and blood, sweat and tears for the first few years. 

/end of rant. 

Facebook - I'm tired of all the memes, links, etc. too. I wish Facebook had a setting to just show personal photos and status updates, nothing else. 
    The part about dream job/city right out college: preach!!! There is a thing called "entry level" and another thing called "experience." 

To Sparkle- isn't that a fireable offense??

• I am rationally irritated at myself. Found this great photography company. Told FMIL about them. FMIL told me she knew someone who knows someones cousins sisters friend to do the photography. I let it go on too long and now some of their services are booked.

Good friend of mine has been married for 5 years. They skipped down to Vegas and got married in a chapel. Awesome. WIsh I was that spontaneous. They are now planning a PPD because my wedding planning just seems like so much FUN. Like. Dude. No. You had your day. Stop.

Stopped to get a shamrock shake today (first of the year.) and they told me the machine was down. Bitch.

• This probably belongs on the etiquette board, but I'm so tired of hearing people basically defend and accept terrible etiquette because it was that way at all the weddings they've been to.

Recent example, people defending seating dates at a different table than the wedding party because that's how they've always seen it done.  Ok... but did you enjoy that?  Did you like sitting away from your SO?  No?  But you somehow think the tradition police is going to come get you if you do your wedding a different way?  Why don't we all stop continuing traditions and practices that make us feel uncomfortable and angry?  

SaveSave
  • On the subject of college, I am rationally annoyed at everyone who gets a degree in whatever and then whines and complains about no job opportunities. There are plenty of job opportunities. I just feel like a lot of today's millennials (and yes, I'm one of them) want to step right out of college and into their dream job in their dream city.  Sorry, that's not the way it works, even with a degree. You have to start at the bottom, and I see a lot of people who aren't willing to do that. 

I got a degree in journalism. Yes, the industry that everybody says is "dying." Yes, the industry that regularly lands on "lowest-paying jobs" lists. 

A month before I graduated, I had two job offers (one full-time permanent, one full-time temp for four months) plus discussions opened for a possible third. I took the full-time permanent one. Is it my dream job? No. I had to work a schedule that wasn't ideal, Tues-Sat, for over a year. I moved to a small town for the job (my H and I like small towns). 

It takes hard work and blood, sweat and tears for the first few years. 

/end of rant. 

Facebook - I'm tired of all the memes, links, etc. too. I wish Facebook had a setting to just show personal photos and status updates, nothing else. 
    The part about dream job/city right out college: preach!!! There is a thing called "entry level" and another thing called "experience." 

To Sparkle- isn't that a fireable offense??
    I would think so, but it seems at this company it's nearly impossible to get fired.
  • I am rationally irritated at myself. Found this great photography company. Told FMIL about them. FMIL told me she knew someone who knows someones cousins sisters friend to do the photography. I let it go on too long and now some of their services are booked.

Good friend of mine has been married for 5 years. They skipped down to Vegas and got married in a chapel. Awesome. WIsh I was that spontaneous. They are now planning a PPD because my wedding planning just seems like so much FUN. Like. Dude. No. You had your day. Stop.

Stopped to get a shamrock shake today (first of the year.) and they told me the machine was down. Bitch.

a PPD 5 years later??

I love Shamrock shakes! I thought they didn't come until March so that's awesome. But McD has to be the worst place ever for ice cream, their machines seem to be down all the time. 

• I want to check into the hotel early but I don't feel like calling to see if I'm able :'( On any other normal day I would just walk in but this hotel is half a mile away from Levi stadium, so I'm assuming they were a bit busy. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• monkeysip said:
    This probably belongs on the etiquette board, but I'm so tired of hearing people basically defend and accept terrible etiquette because it was that way at all the weddings they've been to.

Recent example, people defending seating dates at a different table than the wedding party because that's how they've always seen it done.  Ok... but did you enjoy that?  Did you like sitting away from your SO?  No?  But you somehow think the tradition police is going to come get you if you do your wedding a different way?  Why don't we all stop continuing traditions and practices that make us feel uncomfortable and angry?  
    This is exactly the reason we didn't do a head table for our wedding. I have been to at least 2 weddings where my SO wasn't seated with me and didn't know very many people. At my sister's wedding when H was just a BF he had to sit at a table with a bunch of my cousins. My parents were at a table with aunts and uncles and my sisters/BILs were all in the wedding party. Of course my H is great so I think he had a decent time playing candy poker with my cousins, but I felt bad because he didn't really know any of them.

We did a sweetheart table and I really like that idea. It let me split up the WP so my sisters and their families could sit with our cousins who they don't see very frequently instead of being stuck with my friends who they don't really know. It also let me not need to worry about how giant the head table would be when we included SOs and kids. Most of our WP had a SO not in the WP, so it would have gotten huge very quickly.
  • Today my IA is my own brain, which convinced me I had scheduled my very important meeting for 9 am. So I worried all the way into work only to find out it's not until 11. Of course I didn't book it at 9, that would have been ridiculous for a Monday morning.

• nerdwife said:
    I mean my uncle paid off Med School by working on an Indian Reservation for 6 years I think (8?) That was his plan going in. He worked for a very-low-for-a-doctor wage, enough to live on in the middle of nowhere, sort of, but then his loans were all forgiven (they're deferred while you're working those years), since he completed however many years they required. 
    He actually ended up staying there after they were paid off as his salary tripled, and since there were so few doctors who would go (even to have med school loans paid off in 6 years!) they were always short staffed. 

I dunno, if I had $300k in med school loans and $50k/year was forgiven- plus a low salary- I'd sign up! Better than paying them off for 30 years!

The first time I read this I thought it said Indian Restaurant and I was like whaaaaat?!

Haha I totally would've visited him if he worked at an Indian restaurant, but no way was I going to middle-of-nowhere New Mexico- closest hotel- 37 miles. No.
  • When the phone rings, the receptionist looks at it, puts her hand on it and waits for the second ring to answer it.

Just answer the fucking phone.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • This one came up on my Facebook over the weekend and annoys the hell out of me every time I see it...  "I BORROWED them some money".  Um, no, you did not borrow them money, you LOANED them money.

Also, ppl that use txt abbr 4 everything.  It takes me twice as long to read that stuff and make sense of it, especially when they write a whole paragraph like that.

• If I have to listen to the guy I share a cube wall with take one more bite of food and chew/swallow loudly, I might scream.

That is all.

• When the phone rings, the receptionist looks at it, puts her hand on it and waits for the second ring to answer it.

I used to work for a firm where our receptionist was required to pick up the phone on the first ring. We had quite a few receptionists quit because the stress of this was too much for them.
  • I'm irrationally annoyed that I don't bounce back like I used to at 25.  I had plans every night Thursday-Sunday but Saturday was the only late night and today I just want to sleep!

I used to work for a firm where our receptionist was required to pick up the phone on the first ring. We had quite a few receptionists quit because the stress of this was too much for them.
    That sounds horrible.  What if you're helping someone in person?  Though when I've had jobs where I need to answer phones, I've tried to answer as soon as possible, and I don't wait on purpose.

That sounds horrible.  What if you're helping someone in person?  Though when I've had jobs where I need to answer phones, I've tried to answer as soon as possible, and I don't wait on purpose.
    It was a completely unrealistic requirement. Especially considering the receptionist was also supposed to serve VIP guests espresso and snacks. I always had empathy for them. 

We're similar - not "required" but the person I was whining about is first in line for the phone. She's supposed to answer on the first ring, I'm second in line so if she's unavailable I grab it on the second, another guy the third and then whoever is around by the fourth ring. So it's annoying to me because I can see in her office doing nothing but she purposely waits to answer the phone and I am so used to grabbing it on the second ring.

I'm also totally irrationally slightly upset because I googled the name I wanted to use for our basement bar and according to urbandictionary, someone uses the term for...umm...unappealing lady bits.

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016

We're similar - not "required" but the person I was whining about is first in line for the phone. She's supposed to answer on the first ring, I'm second in line so if she's unavailable I grab it on the second, another guy the third and then whoever is around by the fourth ring. So it's annoying to me because I can see in her office doing nothing but she purposely waits to answer the phone and I am so used to grabbing it on the second ring.

I was b/u for the phones at my last job, and the women who was supposed to answer them abused that fact.  She took 15-20 minute breaks (her lunches were surprisingly still 1 hour) throughout the day (the bathroom was not very far - not that I monitored that but I heard her stop to talk to people on the way back), and was always late!  I was told to get into work at 7:50 instead of 8 - just incase I had to switch the phones back on because SHE was always late.  Um, how about asking HER to come in at 7:50?  We both lived 5 minutes away and all her kids were in high school (didn't have babies to attend to).

Just sharing your frustration!

I'm also totally irrationally slightly upset because I googled the name I wanted to use for our basement bar and according to urbandictionary, someone uses the term for...umm...unappealing lady bits.

___STUCK IN THE STUPID STUPID BOX__________

I think your IA about the phones is completely rational - especially after reading your additional details! Her behavior would get on my nerves real fast. 

Regarding your basement bar name...I am really intrigued as to what you wanted to call it - do tell, please!!!

•  

I was b/u for the phones at my last job, and the women who was supposed to answer them abused that fact.  She took 15-20 minute breaks (her lunches were surprisingly still 1 hour) throughout the day (the bathroom was not very far - not that I monitored that but I heard her stop to talk to people on the way back), and was always late!  I was told to get into work at 7:50 instead of 8 - just incase I had to switch the phones back on because SHE was always late.  Um, how about asking HER to come in at 7:50?  We both lived 5 minutes away and all her kids were in high school (didn't have babies to attend to).

Just sharing your frustration!

If you said this person was in her 20s, I'd be thinking it was the same person. She's regularly MIA and late every day.

When the phone rings, the receptionist looks at it, puts her hand on it and waits for the second ring to answer it.

I think your IA about the phones is completely rational - especially after reading your additional details! Her behavior would get on my nerves real fast. 

Regarding your basement bar name...I am really intrigued as to what you wanted to call it - do tell, please!!!

The Squishy Squirrel. I like it. I'm thinking that there's like, one group of friends that uses it as the urbandictonary definition I found, but I'd hate for that to catch on. Ugh.

The Squishy Squirrel. I like it. I'm thinking that there's like, one group of friends that uses it as the urbandictonary definition I found, but I'd hate for that to catch on. Ugh.
    (shortened to reduce quote tree length) 

I like that name too! I've never heard squishy or squirrel used to describe unfavorable lady parts, so I would think this would be okay. I mean, it's not like you're naming the bar The Botched Beaver 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards