Chit Chat

Irrational/rational annoyances 02-03-16

1235»

Re: Irrational/rational annoyances 02-03-16

• anjemon said: 
    monkeysip said:
    This probably belongs on the etiquette board, but I'm so tired of hearing people basically defend and accept terrible etiquette because it was that way at all the weddings they've been to.

Recent example, people defending seating dates at a different table than the wedding party because that's how they've always seen it done.  Ok... but did you enjoy that?  Did you like sitting away from your SO?  No?  But you somehow think the tradition police is going to come get you if you do your wedding a different way?  Why don't we all stop continuing traditions and practices that make us feel uncomfortable and angry?  
    This is exactly the reason we didn't do a head table for our wedding. I have been to at least 2 weddings where my SO wasn't seated with me and didn't know very many people. At my sister's wedding when H was just a BF he had to sit at a table with a bunch of my cousins. My parents were at a table with aunts and uncles and my sisters/BILs were all in the wedding party. Of course my H is great so I think he had a decent time playing candy poker with my cousins, but I felt bad because he didn't really know any of them.

We did a sweetheart table and I really like that idea. It let me split up the WP so my sisters and their families could sit with our cousins who they don't see very frequently instead of being stuck with my friends who they don't really know. It also let me not need to worry about how giant the head table would be when we included SOs and kids. Most of our WP had a SO not in the WP, so it would have gotten huge very quickly.
    One of the GM's girlfriends was happy she was sitting with her bf. I was shocked she made a comment about it and I told her of course I'd seat them together! I guess she's been to weddings where that's not the case.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

•  

We're similar - not "required" but the person I was whining about is first in line for the phone. She's supposed to answer on the first ring, I'm second in line so if she's unavailable I grab it on the second, another guy the third and then whoever is around by the fourth ring. So it's annoying to me because I can see in her office doing nothing but she purposely waits to answer the phone and I am so used to grabbing it on the second ring.

I was b/u for the phones at my last job, and the women who was supposed to answer them abused that fact.  She took 15-20 minute breaks (her lunches were surprisingly still 1 hour) throughout the day (the bathroom was not very far - not that I monitored that but I heard her stop to talk to people on the way back), and was always late!  I was told to get into work at 7:50 instead of 8 - just incase I had to switch the phones back on because SHE was always late.  Um, how about asking HER to come in at 7:50?  We both lived 5 minutes away and all her kids were in high school (didn't have babies to attend to).

Just sharing your frustration!

If you said this person was in her 20s, I'd be thinking it was the same person. She's regularly MIA and late every day.

When the phone rings, the receptionist looks at it, puts her hand on it and waits for the second ring to answer it.

Just answer the fucking phone.

I used to work for a firm where our receptionist was required to pick up the phone on the first ring. We had quite a few receptionists quit because the stress of this was too much for them.

We're similar - not "required" but the person I was whining about is first in line for the phone. She's supposed to answer on the first ring, I'm second in line so if she's unavailable I grab it on the second, another guy the third and then whoever is around by the fourth ring. So it's annoying to me because I can see in her office doing nothing but she purposely waits to answer the phone and I am so used to grabbing it on the second ring.

I'm also totally irrationally slightly upset because I googled the name I wanted to use for our basement bar and according to urbandictionary, someone uses the term for...umm...unappealing lady bits.

___STUCK IN THE STUPID STUPID BOX__________

I think your IA about the phones is completely rational - especially after reading your additional details! Her behavior would get on my nerves real fast. 

Regarding your basement bar name...I am really intrigued as to what you wanted to call it - do tell, please!!!

The Squishy Squirrel. I like it. I'm thinking that there's like, one group of friends that uses it as the urbandictonary definition I found, but I'd hate for that to catch on. Ugh.
    The Squishy Squirrel is cute! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• For those complaining about phones ringing- my coworker (the same one to those who have read other threads...) will pick up the phone just as I get my headset on, then ask our clients to wait while he switches over to headset (a longer process to do once on the line...)
    The kicker is- it takes me 5 seconds to put it on? He waits until I'm just about to hit the answer button before he'll pick up the receiver- he'll have his hand ON the receiver, but won't pick up til I'm about to...
    Just let me pick it up dude! Or let ME!
    Ugh.
  •  

I was b/u for the phones at my last job, and the women who was supposed to answer them abused that fact.  She took 15-20 minute breaks (her lunches were surprisingly still 1 hour) throughout the day (the bathroom was not very far - not that I monitored that but I heard her stop to talk to people on the way back), and was always late!  I was told to get into work at 7:50 instead of 8 - just incase I had to switch the phones back on because SHE was always late.  Um, how about asking HER to come in at 7:50?  We both lived 5 minutes away and all her kids were in high school (didn't have babies to attend to).

Just sharing your frustration!

Wow are you me? This is exactly my situation at work. 
  • edited February 2016

The shredding company just came to shred a ton of shit. Not one person helped me load the bins. Everyone just sat in their desks/offices while I did all the work.

Ugh that makes me so pissy. It adds into the thought of "oh, I don't want to do this thing. ShesSoCold will do it". I'm the garbage disposal of this office and everyone else is all " oh that's not my problem" about every single thing.

ETA: And one of the adult males who couldn't be bothered to help me just tried to joke with me about how I'm hot and took my sweater off. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards