Chit Chat

Caution - Do not do this!

I worked a wedding yesterday and needed to share for everyone still planning! The ceremony was at 2pm (yeah, on a Tuesday) with family and close friends. After the ceremony they had 2 hours scheduled for pictures and yes, they took the whole 2 hours. Next they had dinner at 4:30 for everyone that was at the ceremony which lasted for 2 hours (everyone was done eating around 5 and just sat there). We were told to have the buffet cleaned up and gone by 6:15 for when the "other" guests showed up at 6:30. They had a smattering of small tables set up on the opposite side of the room for everyone else that showed up while the dinner guests had their full tables.

To top off the two massive gaps, there was a dollar dance and a no host bar so guests had to pay for all drinks except water. Guests did not look happy when they walked in and were asking when the ceremony was... Terrible planning!

My warning is to THINK ABOUT YOUR GUESTS!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caution - Do not do this!

• yikes.     It amazes me what people consider good planning and hosting.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • guests didn't even know there wasn't going to be a ceremony? yikes.
  • kvruns said:
    guests didn't even know there wasn't going to be a ceremony? yikes.

Apparently not, they showed up, looked super confused, had to pay for drinks, only got a cupcake to eat, and then were told the dollar dance was starting.. strangest wedding I have ever seen!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So they invited people to show up at 6:30, smack dab in the middle of the dinner hour (unless this is in a zone where people don't eat until 9) and the guests were not given anything to eat and nothing to drink but water??

Really??? 
  • banana468 said:
    So they invited people to show up at 6:30, smack dab in the middle of the dinner hour (unless this is in a zone where people don't eat until 9) and the guests were not given anything to eat and nothing to drink but water??

Really??? 

That is exactly what happened, and it was obvious that they were second citizen guests since they walked in and other people were already sitting and they didn't even have a table!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hot damn. No words...

• wow. Selfish.

• holy cow. I am speechless.
  • And it was clear that they were 2nd tier guests who didn't know in advance that all of this was happening?

Yeah, that would be my shortest attendance at a wedding ever.   If you invited me to essentially a no-host after party and I thought it was actually the main event, I'd be hungry and pissed and out of there.   Fuck the rudeness - I just don't do well when I'm hangry.   
  • banana468 said:
    And it was clear that they were 2nd tier guests who didn't know in advance that all of this was happening?

Yeah, that would be my shortest attendance at a wedding ever.   If you invited me to essentially a no-host after party and I thought it was actually the main event, I'd be hungry and pissed and out of there.   Fuck the rudeness - I just don't do well when I'm hangry.   

It was difficult to even work it! We ran out of there as soon as we could, just reading the BEO before the event I couldn't believe what I was reading!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    And it was clear that they were 2nd tier guests who didn't know in advance that all of this was happening?

Yup.

And actually leaving would be me being polite when I am hangry.  Because by the time I reach that level of hunger my bitchiness comes out in full force and I am not afraid to show it.

• OK, so I can't say anything about it being on a Tuesday since I'm doing a family/close friends thing on a Tuesday too (properly hosted of course) but everything else EVERYTHING else WOAH!

• banana468 said:

It was difficult to even work it! We ran out of there as soon as we could, just reading the BEO before the event I couldn't believe what I was reading!
    Don't you love reading some BEOs and think WTF?  Whoever planned this is an idiot.   

I've seen some good ones in my life.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • banana468 said:

Yup.

And actually leaving would be me being polite when I am hangry.  Because by the time I reach that level of hunger my bitchiness comes out in full force and I am not afraid to show it.
    Yeah exactly.   If I showed up at 6:30 for something like that I most likely ran around frantic for the last hour and change finishing work and putting on dress up clothing.   I'd probably run out shortly after arriving saying something like, "We're so happy for you two and we just wanted to say goodnight since we need to actually eat something." 

• banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yup.

Yeah exactly.   If I showed up at 6:30 for something like that I most likely ran around frantic for the last hour and change finishing work and putting on dress up clothing.   I'd probably run out shortly after arriving saying something like, "We're so happy for you two and we just wanted to say goodnight since we need to actually eat something." 

Exactly - but if I were one of the 2nd rate guests and came in from OOT you better believe I would be too hangry/pissed off in general to give them a polite goodbye.
  • If someone placed a card/gift at the table and then found out what kind of wedding this was, I wondered who had the gonads to pull the card/gift?  Because when reading this whole thing, part of me would want to if I had gone.

Also, thanks for letting me use the word gonads.  It's been awhile.

• If someone placed a card/gift at the table and then found out what kind of wedding this was, I wondered who had the gonads to pull the card/gift?  Because when reading this whole thing, part of me would want to if I had gone.

That makes me think immediately of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BorQ_ULcvss

last night on Jeopardy all the answers in the category had "go" in the name. I said "gonads" for one of them and H was all wtf are you talking about.  It was the only "go" word I could think of at the time that maybe sorta kinda fit.
  • banana468 said:

If someone placed a card/gift at the table and then found out what kind of wedding this was, I wondered who had the gonads to pull the card/gift?  Because when reading this whole thing, part of me would want to if I had gone.

That makes me think immediately of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BorQ_ULcvss
    What on Earth did I just watch? 
  • My brother was invited to a wedding like that for a coworker...  Needless to say they ALL were PO'd to the extent that some walked right back out to their cars with their gift and the rest only gave them cards when they'd planned to put cash or a check in the card...  Some people wouldn't have a clue if they were smacked upside the head with a 2x4...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards