Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon in Hawaii

Hey there!

My fiance and I are trying to find places to stay in Hawaii that will be nice, but not completely bust the bank. We are wanting to maybe stay more inland for half of the honeymoon and closers to the coast for the rest. We like hiking/exploring, and want to do adventurous things, but still relax too. 

Suggestions??

Thanks in advance!!:)

Re: Honeymoon in Hawaii

• Options
    What does "busting the bank" mean to you? It means different things to different people.

Where are you flying from? How long do you want to stay? What's the most you'd like to spend? what Islands most interest you? 

• Options

Also, what islands are you looking at?  Some islands are more affordable than others and some areas are cheaper than others once on the island.

I can tell you I stayed at the Days Inn in Kihei (Maui), which is right on the ocean.  We stayed in one of the ocean front rooms and the price on the door said it was a $200 dollar per night room.  We had used credit card points to stay there, so we did not actually pay anything.  I was really shocked to see the price, I would have thought it was more, even though it is a Days Inn.  I think the Days Inn in Charleston charges more!  It was a decent room with a mini fridge and microwave.  So we usually ate breakfast in.  We were also centrally located on the island, which was a plus.

• Options

You can also look at renting a condo on/near the beach. Many of the islands (all but BI?) you can drive to some nice hiking spots and be back for dinner.

• Options

This is almost impossible to answer without knowing where you are flying from, what time of year you want to go, and how long your vacation will be.  Also, we need a budget - "not bust the bank" means very different things to different people.  My honeymoon cost $20k.  I considered that high for a normal vacation but reasonable for a honeymoon.  Some people would consider $20k insane for any type of vacation.  Other people would consider $20k a budget vacation.  This board can be very helpful with the right information.

That said, DH and i went to Hawaii for a week, from the east coast, in May of 2012.  It cost about $5k all in, HOWEVER we spent 5 nights at a time share that we didn't need to pay for.  We went to Oahu and Kauai.  We loved Kauai but would probably do the Big Island instead of Oahu if we ever went back.  Oahu is where the time share was, and it was away from Waikiki and in a really lovely area, but we much preferred Kauai.  Oahu was a bit busy.

i do think flights are generally cheaper now than they were when we went - i think we paid $1200 each for our flights.  it wasn't great.  Do keep in mind that Hawaii does not have all inclusive resorts and that food and drinks are quite expensive.  So make sure to budget in more than you think you'll need for dining expenses.  Or you could rent a time share/apartment with a kitchen and have some meals in your room.  We did that.  Even though groceries were more expensive than we were used to, it was a LOT cheaper than eating out three times a day.  Typically we had breakfast and lunch in the room and went out for dinner.  Also definitely budget in a rental car so you can go out and explore.

• Options
    This depends on what the others have said, what is "breaking the bank" to you, what island are you looking at etc. We got engaged on Maui and did our Honeymoon on Kauai. We did VRBO condos for both but also went with another couple, I could suggest these great condos but we were able to split it and I don't know your budget. Maui was less money but we were across the street from the ocean and in a one bedroom, two bath condo. Kauai was more expensive but we were ocean front in a much larger two bedroom, two bath unit. Both islands were equally beautiful and fun.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can also do Air BnB! Much cheaper, and usually a lovely experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards