Wedding Etiquette Forum

Help regarding children!

Re: Help regarding children!

• Thanks a lot you have a good point. I think I'll just invite all children because I'm rather fond of the children I teach. 
  • First I would like to say if this is a question that has been answered already I apologize and if it has been answered please link me to the forum.  
    That being my question is it's okay to allow children at my wedding so long as their over the age of 5 and if there isn't an issue with that what is a polite way to explain that. The reason I would want this is because I want children to be at the wedding because I teach the elementary school aged children in my church so I would like them to attend. However I would not like babies there because they are really hard to keep quite and keep and eye on (the venue is BIG). My other dilemma is that the flower girls (My little sister, and My MOH's daughter) are 2,and 3 would it be a double standard if they stayed they're in the wedding party after all'; they are also well behaved. 
    You can invite children in circles, i.e. only close family members.  People understand that.  However, what you can't do is split up families, meaning 5 year old Bobby is invited but 3 year old Susie isn't.  

If you choose to have an adult only event, you don't make an "adults only" announcement, or write "adults only" on the invitations, because it is rude to indicate who isn't invited. You indicate who the invitations are for by name on the invitation, and you can call people up if they RSVP for extras and say, "I'm so sorry, the invitation was for you and X only."

Also, it's not your call to watch the children. That is the job of the parents.  I feel like the point of "they are hard to keep quiet and keep an eye on," is more about you wanting the attention on yourself, then the children's safety.  Let the parents parent.  Not your job. 

• I appreciate your input but I assure you when I say "keep and eye on" I definitely mean it for their safety of the children. The venue is on a large field with a stream, and woods not too far away. I am well aware that I personally don't have to watch the children, and I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's because I would want the attention on me. Again thank you for the helpful information. 
  • I appreciate your input but I assure you when I say "keep and eye on" I definitely mean it for their safety of the children. The venue is on a large field with a stream, and woods not too far away. I am well aware that I personally don't have to watch the children, and I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's because I would want the attention on me. Again thank you for the helpful information. 
    Most of the time when brides come on here asking a question like that, it's because they're concerned about the children disrupting "their day."  But my comment still stands.  Let the parents parent.  It's not your job.  If they show up and see the situation, they can monitor their children appropriately.

Is your wedding completely outside?  Do you have an indoor contingency plan for bad weather?

• edited February 2016
    There is a chapel and a dining room on the grounds as well in case it rains. It's a christian camp grounds the only lodging you can see though is a motel style main house. (It's not as bad as it sounds I promise) 
  • I think 5 year olds can be louder than babies some times LOL
  • I would maybe also recommend mentioning to parents before that there is a stream/woods (unless this is a well-known spot and these things are well known!) first for safety (maybe the parents will forgo attending if their kid isn't safe around water), second for dressing their kids. If I was a parent and I knew there was a possibility my kid would be playing in a stream I'd pick different clothes (esp for a wedding!) than if there wasn't- aka cotton vs. wool or silk. 

Sounds lovely!
  • What?! An out door wedding in the dead of winter? That's crazy! I hate being cold to the point where I get angry. That's really inconsiderate of your guest and as a bride why would you want to freeze outside in your dress?
  • Teddy917 said:
    I don't have kids, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think that as far as keeping an eye on kids go, it makes zero sense to not invite babies. Babies are going to be more attached to their parents all day, while 5-9ish will be more likely to be running around and difficult to keep an eye on.
    You're totally right, but what I meant was more of toddlers because in my church I see how they get away from their parents all the time (they're naturally curious and full of energy at that age) so I was worried that the parents may have to chase their children down a large field. However levioosa made a good point I guess I'm thinking too much and that's not really my issue to have to keep on top of. Every parent should be responsible for their own kid. There is a jungle gym on the grounds that I think will be great for entertaining the kids while the adults are socializing. 
  • I would maybe also recommend mentioning to parents before that there is a stream/woods (unless this is a well-known spot and these things are well known!) first for safety (maybe the parents will forgo attending if their kid isn't safe around water), second for dressing their kids. If I was a parent and I knew there was a possibility my kid would be playing in a stream I'd pick different clothes (esp for a wedding!) than if there wasn't- aka cotton vs. wool or silk. 

Sounds lovely!
    As far as dressing the kids I trust the judgement of the parents for that and they do know the grounds. It's the camp our church goes to annually. There are things for kids to do there (a jungle gym) but there are not fences to stop them from running away.
    We had a reception venue with a pond in the near vicinity.  After they finished their dinner, the kids played outside and ran around.  None of them ended up in the pond and they seemed to all have a good time.

The children under 4 stayed with their parents for the most part indoors.  
  • What?! An out door wedding in the dead of winter? That's crazy! I hate being cold to the point where I get angry. That's really inconsiderate of your guest and as a bride why would you want to freeze outside in your dress?

She didn't say the wedding was in wimter... (or maybe she did?) & how do you know where she lives? Maybe she lives in Miami, LA or Honolulu...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

She didn't say the wedding was in wimter... (or maybe she did?) & how do you know where she lives? Maybe she lives in Miami, LA or Honolulu...
    This is the OP of this thread, and she was responding to someone else who referenced another poster from the fall, who very clearly stated that she was having a March outdoor wedding in Northern Michigan. With only a "hot chocolate bar" reception.

This is the OP of this thread, and she was responding to someone else who referenced another poster from the fall, who very clearly stated that she was having a March outdoor wedding in Northern Michigan. With only a "hot chocolate bar" reception.

Got it. I didn't see that one. Yeah March in MI is a lil cold
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Got it. I didn't see that one. Yeah March in MI is a lil cold
    Sorry for the confusion I'm still new to the website. Our wedding will be in September of this year and we live in New York.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards