Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Help I have no idea what to choose as a theme

Hi I'm Sara and I'm new to the boards. Now my issue is that my wedding will be in late September so I think it's too early for a fall theme, and I also think it'll be too late to do a summer like theme. I basically have no idea of what color I'd like or general theme. Given the fact that there are so many ways I can go with a wedding I feel overwhelmed about choosing (it's a real character flaw of mine). So I wanted your opinions.

Re: Help I have no idea what to choose as a theme

• Don't worry about a theme, just begin by planning for your guests comfort first and foremost and then add in things that appeal to your and your FI sense of style.
  • What's your favorite color? What's your FI's favorite color? Color palette done. :) Do you have a venue? You may want to consider colors that go with the décor there. It's really such a minor thing, go with the flow, something will stand out and work for you.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Hi I'm Sara and I'm new to the boards. Now my issue is that my wedding will be in late September so I think it's too early for a fall theme, and I also think it'll be too late to do a summer like theme. I basically have no idea of what color I'd like or general theme. Given the fact that there are so many ways I can go with a wedding I feel overwhelmed about choosing (it's a real character flaw of mine). So I wanted your opinions.
    Weddings don't need an official theme of any kind. I changed my decor ideas based on things that were cost-effective and served a purpose and went with the venue.

Another trend I love is not requiring any sort of coordinated BM garb - either give them a color palette, or even better, say "wear whatever you want" to everyone, and then you don't have the hassle of choosing dresses, particularly if you're indecisive. Pictures will still be lovely because your friends will be comfortable and happy and the people you love will be in them.
  • Hi I'm Sara and I'm new to the boards. Now my issue is that my wedding will be in late September so I think it's too early for a fall theme, and I also think it'll be too late to do a summer like theme. I basically have no idea of what color I'd like or general theme. Given the fact that there are so many ways I can go with a wedding I feel overwhelmed about choosing (it's a real character flaw of mine). So I wanted your opinions.
    Weddings don't need an official theme of any kind. I changed my decor ideas based on things that were cost-effective and served a purpose and went with the venue.

Another trend I love is not requiring any sort of coordinated BM garb - either give them a color palette, or even better, say "wear whatever you want" to everyone, and then you don't have the hassle of choosing dresses, particularly if you're indecisive. Pictures will still be lovely because your friends will be comfortable and happy and the people you love will be in them.
    I think it's more of an issue of not knowing where to start for me. As far as the BM wearing what ever they want, I think its a cool concept but not the direction I would like to go in. I think if I could pick out a color scheme everything else should fall into place for me.
  • What's your favorite color? What's your FI's favorite color? Color palette done. :) Do you have a venue? You may want to consider colors that go with the décor there. It's really such a minor thing, go with the flow, something will stand out and work for you.
    I would do it like that but then our colors would be red and green and I'm not sure if I want a Christmas looking wedding in September. My venue is on a Church Camp grounds
  • Proms have themes.  Weddings are special events all by themselves, and they do not need themes.  Personally, I dislike overly themed weddings.  Too cutesy-poo.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

I think it's more of an issue of not knowing where to start for me. As far as the BM wearing what ever they want, I think its a cool concept but not the direction I would like to go in. I think if I could pick out a color scheme everything else should fall into place for me.
    What colors are you drawn to? You don't have to be bound by the season necessarily as by what you and your FI like. I'm a fan of blue and wear a lot of that color, so I'd be looking at that first (for my venue).

I'm also a huge fan of the idea of allowing the BP to wear what they want just like any other guest so that everyone can wear something they feel great in. I'm an advocate for decorating the venue in the color scheme and getting away from "decorating" the BP in the color scheme.
  • geebee908 said:
    Hi I'm Sara and I'm new to the boards. Now my issue is that my wedding will be in late September so I think it's too early for a fall theme, and I also think it'll be too late to do a summer like theme. I basically have no idea of what color I'd like or general theme. Given the fact that there are so many ways I can go with a wedding I feel overwhelmed about choosing (it's a real character flaw of mine). So I wanted your opinions.

What colors are you drawn to? You don't have to be bound by the season necessarily as by what you and your FI like. I'm a fan of blue and wear a lot of that color, so I'd be looking at that first (for my venue).

I'm also a huge fan of the idea of allowing the BP to wear what they want just like any other guest so that everyone can wear something they feel great in. I'm an advocate for decorating the venue in the color scheme and getting away from "decorating" the BP in the color scheme.

Well the colors I'm drawn to are Olive Green and a Burlap kind of Brown. When it comes to the BM what I think I'll end up doing is picking a color from one retailer and letting them choose the silhouette they feel comfortable in. I'm all about compromise and I want my BM to feel pretty too.
  • CMGragain said:
    Proms have themes.  Weddings are special events all by themselves, and they do not need themes.  Personally, I dislike overly themed weddings.  Too cutesy-poo.
    Agreed. I don't mean theme in the sense of something like "Nautical, or enchanted forest" I mean it more towards what kind of accents would I like that complement each other so the whole ordeal doesn't look like a mess
  • geebee908 said:

Well the colors I'm drawn to are Olive Green and a Burlap kind of Brown. When it comes to the BM what I think I'll end up doing is picking a color from one retailer and letting them choose the silhouette they feel comfortable in. I'm all about compromise and I want my BM to feel pretty too.
    I think those are some great main colors for your wedding.  You could always add an accent color like a purple or a blue if you wanted a little punch of color.  And to also give you another color choice to pick for your BM dresses.

Something like this...

Or...

Oh! I love the Blue that's definitely something to think about thank you!
  • If your favorite colors are red and green, why not go with a deep shade of each of those.  So, like magenta and forest green.  Go to the paint store and pick up swatches of the colors you like.  You can give a particular color swatch to your bridesmaids so they can pick a dress at any price point in one of the colors.  You can give another swatch to your florist and tell them you want flowers in this range of shades.

My color is pink.  I'm thinking pink flowers of any type.  FH and I like beer, I think I'll use empty brown beer bottles as vases for my flowers in the centerpieces and around the other tables.  Basically, our "theme" is "marriage" and we'll be including aspects of ourselves and our likes that make sense in the setting.  I won't be going overboard with any particular theme, just including hints here and there of things I like.
  • Go onto Pinterest or just google "Wedding Color Palette" or something similar and you will get to see pictures of many weddings with different colors and set ups, including flowers and center pieces.  See what you like best and go from there!
  • You could also think about something that you both like (hiking, travel, cooking, some sort of hobby) and look for colour inspiration from that. My Fiancé loves Lego and so I'm picking out a few accents of Lego bricks (i.e. on seating chart) and applying the colours that I really liked to the bricks. There are so many different things you can do. Provided that you host your guests properly, any colours you pick will be perfect. Good luck!  
  • No theme needed. I would pick colours you like. Red and green are pretty bold, but as said you can choose different shades, and pair it with something neutral.

I don't think late September is too early for fall colours (even Sept is warm, it's still fall to me). Olive or forest green, paired with a warm brown, apple red. 

I think TheKnot here has some pages with colour ideas. 
  • You don't *need* a theme, but if you would like a theme, I recommend brainstorming with your FI. Try to find a common item, colour, movie, flower, character, food, or literally ANYTHING to focus on. What do you and your FI have in common?

It might come to you rather unexpectedly. We were at our photographer's signing our contract and just chatting about things when our theme came to us; Fall Fair. It works for us, makes our dual-purpose venue transition easy (we are going to entertain our guests with fair/carnival games between ceremony and reception).

Most importantly, it resonates with us; we love it.

Theme or no theme, choose things you like and go from there.
  • Ditto to PPs. You don't need an actual "theme". If you want something that has a seasonal touch to it, but also uses some of your color preferences, definitely look google different colors and palettes. Here were a few green and red ones that I think have a late summer/ transition to fall look:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    And another that wasn't loading previously for some reason:

http://https//www.theknot.com/real-weddings/a-rustic-summer-wedding-in-sioux-falls-sd-album

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sarini91 said:
    geebee908 said:

I think those are some great main colors for your wedding.  You could always add an accent color like a purple or a blue if you wanted a little punch of color.  And to also give you another color choice to pick for your BM dresses.

Something like this...

Or...

Late to the game, but olive green, latte and that shade of blue are my colors! I don't think you can go wrong with that scheme no matter what time of year! :)
  • edited February 2016
    Moppet82 said:
    Sarini91 said:
    geebee908 said:

Something like this...

Or...

Late to the game, but olive green, latte and that shade of blue are my colors! I don't think you can go wrong with that scheme no matter what time of year! :)
    Really? That's awesome! Has it been easy for you to find things that compliment those colors? How do your BMs feel (about wearing the colors)? 
  • Honestly, I am only using the color for the BM dresses and ties for the GMs. The BMs told me they really like it, and it is a good color on all of them.

The invites and decor will be an olive leaf motif.  Some inspiration I am using:
  • Why the hell do my pictures always turn out so big when I post?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards