Chit Chat
Options

Not really sure where to ask this, but...

If I'm correct in calculating it, I am due to have my period on my wedding day. Do you think it would be worth talking to a doctor about the possibility of skipping it? I have been on birth control for over 6 years now. I have never taken the next pack's pills to skip it before, and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Re: Not really sure where to ask this, but...

• Options
    If I'm correct in calculating it, I am due to have my period on my wedding day. Do you think it would be worth talking to a doctor about the possibility of skipping it? I have been on birth control for over 6 years now. I have never taken the next pack's pills to skip it before, and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
    Talk to your doctor about this. I'm very hesitant to give advice on something medical at all, so I won't, but I will say that I have skipped my period using the pill before (i.e., going from week three to week one of a new pack) and will definitely being do so again if I would have my period on my wedding day. The only issue I've ever had is sometimes - though not every time - my next period is a little worse (heavier and/or longer).
  • Options
    Talk to your doctor. 

• Options
    nerdwife said:
    Talk to your doctor about this. I'm very hesitant to give advice on something medical at all, so I won't, but I will say that I have skipped my period using the pill before (i.e., going from week three to week one of a new pack) and will definitely being do so again if I would have my period on my wedding day. The only issue I've ever had is sometimes - though not every time - my next period is a little worse (heavier and/or longer).
    Thank you for your input. I'm a little nervous because I have never done so, but I will make sure to talk to my doctor first. 
  • Options
    It is a valid concern and definitely talk to your doctor about it.  I actually once went a couple years of skipping the 4th week of pills to avoid periods (this was before they had newer pills that are made to do periods less frequently). My doctor had said it was fine to do.  But, that was my case and several years ago.  Talk to your doc about your personal situation.  There may be differences with your personal health or your particular medication that could vary the recommendations.

• Options
    Talk to your doctor. It's usually possible to do if you're already on the pill but how you take the pills would change depending on if it's a monophasic or triphasic. 
    Advice to the general public is make sure you know which kind of pill you're taking, do some research, and talk to your doctor. It may not be as easy as skipping the last week, particularly on a triphasic pill.
  • Options
    Aside from the usual talk to your doctor, I'd definitely try it out before the wedding. I tried taking it continuously by skipping the "off" pills (by direction of my doctor) but it actually lead to weeks worth of spotting instead of any sort of skipping. I hate the unpredictability of it, and certainly hated 2 weeks of spotting, so for me it doesn't work . Others it works out for so I'd definitely try it out in advance.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Aside from the usual talk to your doctor, I'd definitely try it out before the wedding. I tried taking it continuously by skipping the "off" pills (by direction of my doctor) but it actually lead to weeks worth of spotting instead of any sort of skipping. I hate the unpredictability of it, and certainly hated 2 weeks of spotting, so for me it doesn't work . Others it works out for so I'd definitely try it out in advance.
    I'm actually going through this right now.  I skipped last month because of a vacation, and now I'm paying for it.  Not actually due to start bleeding until next week but am spotting right now.  Good times.  But at least I didn't have my period on my vacation last month.  So, I guess it worked???  My doctor has actually told me it's okay for me to do this and was surprised I didn't do it more often.  
  • Options
    Obligatory talk to your doctor.

From personal experience, I think it depends on when your wedding is. If it's months from now, start skipping the placebo pills asap. There is normal spotting in the first month or so from skipping your period, and then it evens out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    adk19 said:
    kvruns said:
    I'm actually going through this right now.  I skipped last month because of a vacation, and now I'm paying for it.  Not actually due to start bleeding until next week but am spotting right now.  Good times.  But at least I didn't have my period on my vacation last month.  So, I guess it worked???  My doctor has actually told me it's okay for me to do this and was surprised I didn't do it more often.  
    I hated the constant spotting (and sometimes it was more than spotting) so after trying it  a couple months I said no way I'll do it again. I did it because I often get migraines during my period week but I decided I'd take the chance with migraines and fortunately I don't have them every time
  • Options
    def talk to your dr. Mine said it was fine to do this as well. She suggested a break every 3 months (similar to seasonique) but that it wasn't 'required' for me. I think I was a terrible patient and did it for like a year lol. I never got a heavy period so I didn't have any spotting (or very rare) so I enjoyed that!
  • Options
    Talk to your doctor, etc.  But, I have done this a few times when I'm camping and don't want to deal with a period.  I had no spotting or anything like that... I would either skip the placebo week and go to the next week to avoid getting my period, but then the week after that do the placebos... so basically I'd have a 5 week cycle followed by a 3 week cycle.  OR, I've also just skipped it altogether so I didn't have one for 7 weeks.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I "moved" my period slowly so the dates would align. I would skip just the last active pill and move to the other ones. That way it changed by one day each month. It personally freaks me out to just skip a period entirely.
  • Options
    PP's have covered it pretty well, but one thing I've noticed in addition to the spotting is that I get significantly more bloated every time I skip from week 3 to 1! 
  • Options
    Talk to your doctor of course, but here is my experience.

I skipped the placebo week to move my period off of my wedding 5 months in advance and still got my period despite going from week three to week one in a new pack. Not only that, but I then bled for two weeks, had week 3 of no bleeding and then had my period the next placebo week. It sucked. Definitely do it months ahead of your wedding because you never know how your body will react.

Also, despite being on BCP for my wedding, the stress played havoc with my cycle. I still didn't start my period until Week One in a new pack rather than Tuesday or Wednesday of my placebo week. Then I started my period in Week 3 of that pack while on my honeymoon and bled for 2 weeks. Everything went back to normal after that.  

Those were the only two times in the 3 years I was on BCP that I bled at weird times. Everything affects people differently, so just be aware that anything can happen.
  • Options
    Talk to your doc etc but... I actually have done that on Nuvaring. You're supposed to leave it in for three weeks and you get your period when it's not in there. I would occasionally leave it in four weeks. No issues at all. As long as that sucker was up there I wouldn't have a period, spotting, nothing. 

• Options
    Talk to your doctor, but every one I know of has said there is no negative consequences to skipping the placebo week other than an increased chance of breakthrough bleed. I've been on pills that allow me to have just 4 periods a year for 10 years now and have never had breakthrough bleeding. I have manipulated the end/beginning of a pack as necessary to not bleed on vacation. *THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE*
  • Options
    I totally envy anyone that's had success with this.  I was on pills for years, but I swear if I took them at a different time of day (like 10 am vs. 8 am), the cycle would break down and I'd just get my period more or less all the time.  I even tried the Depo shot, which is supposed to prevent a period for 3 months--I was special, I HAD my period for 3 months.    
    Anyway, I'd say even if you set up a plan with your doctor, make sure you have at least a pantyliner/pad/tampon within arm's reach on your wedding day.  Sounds like your body is more predictable than mine, but it's true your body may go haywire prior to your wedding due to stress and excitement, and that's not the sort of stain you want on your white dress!
  • Options
    missfrodo said:
    I totally envy anyone that's had success with this.  I was on pills for years, but I swear if I took them at a different time of day (like 10 am vs. 8 am), the cycle would break down and I'd just get my period more or less all the time.  I even tried the Depo shot, which is supposed to prevent a period for 3 months--I was special, I HAD my period for 3 months.    
    Anyway, I'd say even if you set up a plan with your doctor, make sure you have at least a pantyliner/pad/tampon within arm's reach on your wedding day.  Sounds like your body is more predictable than mine, but it's true your body may go haywire prior to your wedding due to stress and excitement, and that's not the sort of stain you want on your white dress!
    Oh my god, that's horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you. :(

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I will ask my doctor to see what she recommends. I hope to at least just get through the day not sweating so much, let alone staining my dress red!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I've been on the pill for many years, and have also skipped my period for my wedding and vacations. I've never had any problems. 
  • Options
    missfrodo said:
    A friend of mine had that situation as well and I've heard a lot of women have had that issue.
  • Options
    Fair warning, I skipped my period for the wedding - this wasn't the first time doing that - and it was because the wedding was when it was suppose to end.
    I think due to stress, my period showed up in the middle of the night after wedding {no stains luckily}
    Just fair warning, even if your doctor clears everything is okay!
  • Options
    Fair warning, I skipped my period for the wedding - this wasn't the first time doing that - and it was because the wedding was when it was suppose to end.
    I think due to stress, my period showed up in the middle of the night after wedding {no stains luckily}
    Thank you for the warning! I will most likely still wear whatever I need to in order to protect my dress (and sanity!). Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Thank you for the warning! I will most likely still wear whatever I need to in order to protect my dress (and sanity!). Better safe than sorry.
    Or at least have it within reach if you're aware of your body. Stress can do crazy things, regardless what you're doing.
  • Options
    Or at least have it within reach if you're aware of your body. Stress can do crazy things, regardless what you're doing.
    Thankfully, our bridal suites where we can put our belongings are right down a staircase, with a small bathroom, that I can keep them in.
  • Options
    Talk to your dr
    but I can say I skip the placebos and only take them every three months and have not had any real side effects. But my dr okayed it. I do have spotting though during stressfultime but nothing to bad 
  • Options
    missfrodo said:
    Every type of hormonal birth control is different, and everyone's body is different. I was on some pills where I spotted the whole month, some pills where if I was off by an hour or two I would get my period and be miserable for a month, and others where I could easily skip periods, postpone them, or whatever with no effects whatsoever. 

I also always figured out what day to start the pack on so I wouldn't have my period on the weekend for years. For me, I was a Friday start (as opposed to the usual Sunday). So I took the last pill on a Thursday, and my period would start on Sunday evening. But I"m sure that's different for everyone.
  • Options

I've been wondering about skipping the placebos also. I'm supposed to start the day we leave for our honeymoon (if I've counted correctly) and honestly I don't want to deal with it. Guess I'm making an appointment with my dr to ask about this.

Thank you to the OP and PP for the advice and sharing you experiences.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    missfrodo said:
    Every type of hormonal birth control is different, and everyone's body is different. I was on some pills where I spotted the whole month, some pills where if I was off by an hour or two I would get my period and be miserable for a month, and others where I could easily skip periods, postpone them, or whatever with no effects whatsoever. 

I also always figured out what day to start the pack on so I wouldn't have my period on the weekend for years. For me, I was a Friday start (as opposed to the usual Sunday). So I took the last pill on a Thursday, and my period would start on Sunday evening. But I"m sure that's different for everyone.
    I agree that each person will react differently to various BC methods.  I tend to be the opposite of normal with most. A lot of people complain about spotting and weight gain with depo, I never had any spotting or period from the day I started it and actually lost weight while on it. Ortho-Tri-Cyclen is supposed to be good for acne, but it didn't help mine at all.  The mini-pill I was on made me gain crazy amounts of weight, which is not normal for that pill. I'm now on nexplanon and my doc was concerned that it may make my acne worse and it also has high risk of spotting.  I've been on it 6 months with no spotting or periods at all and my acne has improved greatly since being on it. So, I seem to be opposite of normal reactions to many BCP.  Each person is different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards