Honeymoon Discussions

Opinions on Sandals Registry

What are some of your experiences with Sandals honeymoon registry?

Re: Opinions on Sandals Registry

• Words of caution:

Honeymoon registries are generally considered to be in poor taste. There have been many posts discussing this topic on the boards that you can read. The reasoning is that they don't actually book an experience for you, they just give you a lump sum of cash that people have donated, less a small fee. So you're basically throwing away money if you use them as well as misleading your guests into thinking they're buying you an experience when they're not.

I would hope that if the registry is through Sandals then someone purchasing an experience would result in that experience actually being booked for you. If that is the case then I personally wouldn't care because I know you're getting the experience I intended to give you. (Other people on here would probably still disagree with me.) If not and they just give you a voucher for the cost of the experiences then you're basically registering for money and still misleading your guests, which is rude.
  • Words of caution:

Honeymoon registries are generally considered to be in poor taste. There have been many posts discussing this topic on the boards that you can read. The reasoning is that they don't actually book an experience for you, they just give you a lump sum of cash that people have donated, less a small fee. So you're basically throwing away money if you use them as well as misleading your guests into thinking they're buying you an experience when they're not.

I would hope that if the registry is through Sandals then someone purchasing an experience would result in that experience actually being booked for you. If that is the case then I personally wouldn't care because I know you're getting the experience I intended to give you. (Other people on here would probably still disagree with me.) If not and they just give you a voucher for the cost of the experiences then you're basically registering for money and still misleading your guests, which is rude.
    Thanks for the reply! I did lurk around a little and got some great info regarding other honeymoon registries. From what I've been told (by my not so trusty travel agent) the Sandals registry works different. She said they didn't take anything out for fees and that I choose the day of the excursion someone gifted to me on my Sandals website. (Still waiting for the website to validate so I'm not sure how accurate this was) I mainly wanted to see if any other posters had any experience with this and could maybe tell me if my travel agent is correct. As far as I've been told, I won't be receiving any type of check or anything. 
  • Even if you're right and sandals just gives you the experience credit you're still walking a really fine line between registering for a gift and asking for cash. If I know someone wants to go scuba diving on their honeymoon chances are I'll write them a check and say something in the card about how I hope they can use it to go scuba diving. Even if I didn't know you wanted to go scuba diving I'm just going to write you a check and you can use the check however you please. If you don't register people will know they can give you cash. Even if you do register I bet a lot of people will give you cash.

I didn't do the honeymoon registry at sandals (because as I said above I think it's rude) but I did go to sandals for my honeymoon. When we booked we got some credits for booking at a certain time and at a certain room level. However when we got there it was really hard to get them to actually give us those credits. We did eventually get them but we had to fight for them. I'd be concerned that if people sign up for your honeymoon fund with them you might need to fight them to actually get what people bought. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for taking time to respond ya'll. I'm not too concerned about the etiquette of the registry. I just really was hoping to get some advice from people that have used a Sandals registry before.
  • Isn't everything, including excursions and even tips, included at Sandals?  Sounds like a cash grab to pay for your honeymoon to me. 
  • Isn't everything, including excursions and even tips, included at Sandals?  Sounds like a cash grab to pay for your honeymoon to me. 

First off, my trip has been paid off for quite some time now so this is definitely not a cash grab. Not all excursions are included with Sandals. A few examples are: zip lining, hiking the Pitons, Volcano tour ect. 
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Thanks for taking time to respond ya'll. I'm not too concerned about the etiquette of the registry. I just really was hoping to get some advice from people that have used a Sandals registry before.
    Wait, what?

Here's a novel idea - if you don't need physical items, don't register.  Chances are, most people will give you cash.  Which Sandal's will then gladly take from you.
    Once again, I am not worried about how people feel about me doing a Sandals registry. I really only want opinions from people that have done this registry. 
    Excursions are extra at Sandals. They boast free scuba diving but you have to either have your diving license already or pay for a class there and it was pretty expensive. That was probably our only disappointment was finding out that while almost everything is included there was a lot that wasn't and they are very pushy about trying to get you to pay for it. 

We did 1 excursion and were kept busy for the rest of the week with the stuff they do offer like kayaks, sailing, food, pools etc...

Also they don't accept tips at the resort itself but if you are using the airport transportation to get to the resort those people don't work for sandals and are really pushy for tips. We didn't expect this and then the one guy took our luggage to the van and put out his hand and was like I don't work for sandals so we did give him a tip and then the driver that took us to sandals also didn't work for them and I didn't realize that either so I only had a dollar left and i gave it to him and felt kind of bad but then he literally looked at me and said "that's all" We just took our bags and left him standing there and I was kind of glad that's all we had left because he was really rude about it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for taking time to respond ya'll. I'm not too concerned about the etiquette of the registry. I just really was hoping to get some advice from people that have used a Sandals registry before.
    That's a really shitty attitude to have... You realize by saying that you are saying I don't care about being rude to my guests... Are you having a cash bar too? Large gap? Guests don't all need to sit at the same time right? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Excursions are extra at Sandals. They boast free scuba diving but you have to either have your diving license already or pay for a class there and it was pretty expensive. That was probably our only disappointment was finding out that while almost everything is included there was a lot that wasn't and they are very pushy about trying to get you to pay for it. 

We did 1 excursion and were kept busy for the rest of the week with the stuff they do offer like kayaks, sailing, food, pools etc...

Also they don't accept tips at the resort itself but if you are using the airport transportation to get to the resort those people don't work for sandals and are really pushy for tips. We didn't expect this and then the one guy took our luggage to the van and put out his hand and was like I don't work for sandals so we did give him a tip and then the driver that took us to sandals also didn't work for them and I didn't realize that either so I only had a dollar left and i gave it to him and felt kind of bad but then he literally looked at me and said "that's all" We just took our bags and left him standing there and I was kind of glad that's all we had left because he was really rude about it. 
    Oh man I didn't even think about drivers not being a part of Sandals. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll be sure to bring some extra cash to tip them. Do you recall how much it was to get scuba certified? We had thought about doing the diving and it may be cheaper for us to get certified here. 
    That's a really shitty attitude to have... You realize by saying that you are saying I don't care about being rude to my guests... Are you having a cash bar too? Large gap? Guests don't all need to sit at the same time right? 
    It's not a shitty attitude and it's also not rude. This registry was set up for my family because they wanted us to have the best experience possible. I'm not even having guests at my wedding so the last three statements you made are totally irrelevant. The only people that even know we have a registry are family members and they absolutely loved the idea. So all in all, I am not being rude to anyone. 
  • justsie said:
    Thanks for taking time to respond ya'll. I'm not too concerned about the etiquette of the registry. I just really was hoping to get some advice from people that have used a Sandals registry before.
    It's not a shitty attitude and it's also not rude. This registry was set up for my family because they wanted us to have the best experience possible. I'm not even having guests at my wedding so the last three statements you made are totally irrelevant. The only people that even know we have a registry are family members and they absolutely loved the idea. So all in all, I am not being rude to anyone. 
    Wait...... you're not having any guests but you still want to make sure people buy you stuff? Bye Felicia. 
    Way to look into something you don't know anything about. I have immediate family over seas and this is easier for them. This is not about making sure people buy me stuff. I will REITERATE that I do not give a flying rats ass about what ya'll think of my registry. If you can't answer my question then why even respond to my post? Are you just looking for confrontation? I never once asked anyone's opinion of my registry. I did however ask about people's experiences using the Sandals registry. 
  • OP- The advice we're all giving you is that honeymoon registries are rude. I know that's not the advice you want to hear but that's what you're going to get here. The members of this board will not give you advice that helps you be rude. You won't find a lot of posters here who have used one so you probably won't get the type of feedback you're looking for. Since it seems like you're set on doing it anyway I suggest you find another forum to ask this question.
    Why would you give someone advice when they clearly don't need it? If you can't answer my question then simply do not respond. I once again, do not care that ya'll think the registry is rude. If posters cannot give me the type of feedback I am looking for then that is all fine and dandy. But WHY try and stir the pot with opinions on my registry? As you stated above I actually am set on doing it so unwanted advice will not change my mind. 

If any posters reading this have actually experienced the Sandals registry, your input would be greatly appreciated. 
  • OP- The advice we're all giving you is that honeymoon registries are rude. I know that's not the advice you want to hear but that's what you're going to get here. The members of this board will not give you advice that helps you be rude. You won't find a lot of posters here who have used one so you probably won't get the type of feedback you're looking for. Since it seems like you're set on doing it anyway I suggest you find another forum to ask this question.
    Why would you give someone advice when they clearly don't need it? If you can't answer my question then simply do not respond. I once again, do not care that ya'll think the registry is rude. If posters cannot give me the type of feedback I am looking for then that is all fine and dandy. But WHY try and stir the pot with opinions on my registry? As you stated above I actually am set on doing it so unwanted advice will not change my mind. 

If any posters reading this have actually experienced the Sandals registry, your input would be greatly appreciated. 
    Again, you won't get the advice you're looking for here. Because most members here think honeymoon registries are rude they haven't used them, so they have no experience to share with you. 

There are other forums where brides feel differently. Post your question there and you might get the information you're looking for. You're wasting your time here.
    If they don't have any experiences to share with me then that's totally fine. I am not going to a different forum. I posted my question here. If it doesn't get answered the world will still keep spinning (crazy right!?). Still doesn't excuse the totally off topic responses... 
  • I have no opinions on Sandals registries because Honeymoon Registries are rude.  I will never purchase anything off of one, and I will never register with one.
  • adk19 said:
    I have no opinions on Sandals registries because Honeymoon Registries are rude.  I will never purchase anything off of one, and I will never register with one.
    Good for you brotatochip!
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Wait, what?

Here's a novel idea - if you don't need physical items, don't register.  Chances are, most people will give you cash.  Which Sandal's will then gladly take from you.
    Once again, I am not worried about how people feel about me doing a Sandals registry. I really only want opinions from people that have done this registry. 
    Ahhh, the death of common sense.  Maybe you're not finding anyone here who's used it because they charge your guests a 9.65% service and handling fee.  Why would you (or your guests) want to give up almost 10% of a gift?  If you don't register, people will write a check.  Your guests are not stupid.  I hope.

• Why even bother with the registry? Just ask your family members to fork over a check. 
  • Listen up girls - I do not need any of your opinions on my registry. Ya'll are getting way off topic from my original post. If you want to just discuss about how rude you think I'm being then why don't you start your own post? I honestly from the very bottom of my heart do not care what ya'll think about my Sandals registry. I asked a very simple question pertaining to experiences dealing with a Sandals registry. If you cannot answer my question then don't leave a comment. You are not being productive. As all of you should have already been able to tell - I will not change my mind.
  • Listen up girls - I do not need any of your opinions on my registry. Ya'll are getting way off topic from my original post. If you want to just discuss about how rude you think I'm being then why don't you start your own post? I honestly from the very bottom of my heart do not care what ya'll think about my Sandals registry. I asked a very simple question pertaining to experiences dealing with a Sandals registry. If you cannot answer my question then don't leave a comment. You are not being productive. As all of you should have already been able to tell - I will not change my mind.
    This is a public forum and therefore people may respond to anything you post.  It's considered rude to tell people how to respond.  You have been advised many times that this is not the forum for the answers you're looking for.  You choose to ignore that advice and berate the people who choose to answer you because it's not what you want to hear.
    This is a public forum and therefore people may respond to anything you post.  It's considered rude to tell people how to respond.  You have been advised many times that this is not the forum for the answers you're looking for.  You choose to ignore that advice and berate the people who choose to answer you because it's not what you want to hear.
    Hmmm - maybe because no one actually answered me. It's incredibly rude to go off topic and give unwanted advice after being told multiple times that I wasn't concerned with it. It's also incredibly rude to try and force and opinion on someone who sees things differently. I am not wrong, I just don't look at the Sandals registry the same as ya'll do. 

Now, with that being said again. If anyone does actually have experience with the Sandals registry I would love to hear about it. 
    PP's did answer your question - most people on here haven't and won't do the registry you suggest, and they told you why. No one can stop you from being rude and tacky if thats what you really want to do, but you can never say you didn't know. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards