Chit Chat

Boudoir

So I'm doing a boudior session on Saturday, and as a plus size woman I gotta say, i'm actually a little nervous.

Anyone do boudior and have tips ?

Re: Boudoir

• I did boudoir, and it was awesome. My advice is wear whatever makes you feel prettiest. Don't worry about trying to force sexy faces and poses if it's not "you".

• I did not, but Offbeat Bride has lots of posts about boudoir photos.  Most are vendor-based articles, but they still seem to have good tips.  This one is not a vendor article: http://offbeatbride.com/2010/06/wedding-boudoir-photos
  • I know women who aren't plus sized and they were nervous too. I'm petite and flat out won't do it. So I give mad props to anyone with the courage to do it. 

One friend who did it wore what she felt sexiest in, which was boy-briefs and a tank top. She didn't try to force the sexy wearing some lingerie she wouldn't normally wear. I think that helped her a lot. She also said the photographers are really cool and go out of their way to make women feel at ease. 

• I've wanted to do it for a long time, but never got the stones mustered. It's tomorrow, and I've picked out some basic things, like a little black dress and huge heels, one of his work shirts, and one of my corsets. So its nothing too revealing at all. The only one i'm sorta nervous about is this mesh thing, and a pair of Batman boy shorts. I am not sexy at all, so I'm not going to be able to do that pouty look. I'm more hoping for some pretty shots of me smiling, or laughing since thats how I'm most comfortable.

It doesn't help either that I've just discovered the photographer is a guy. SO now it feels... Weird ? The photographer has these awesome reviews, and the studio was just picked for some photography award in our are, so I was really happy that they had an opening. Well, the one I've been talking to is a woman, and I assumed the assistant, and she told me she just finished a session and to check the pictures out on facebook (She is still trying to convince me to book for the wedding), and I saw that she was married to the photographer (who has a VERY common name, that is usually associated with a female), and I thought, "OH. Sweet. Lesbians! This will be an awesome time." Nope.

• I'm sure you're going to look gorgeous and he'll {and you!} will end up loving the turn out!

As PPs have said, do what you're comfortable with. Honestly, if you end up not feeling comfortable with photographer, don't force yourself to do anything!
  • Let us know how it went!

I am subconscious as my naked, or even less clothed self as well, even as a "smaller" person. I am not as brave as you OP! 

But I say rock it! I agree with picking whatever makes you most comfortable. Don't worry about the sexy faces- do what is natural to you. I think the idea of photos with you laughing is great- that is the face your SO knows and loves! As well, silhouettes or your resting expression at different angles (you know, the staring off at a distance) can be very sexy without you doing anything at all! 

Our wedding photog told DH to make me laugh for some of our posed photos, and one of DH's favourite photos is one of me with my nose squinched up with wrinkles. At first I thought, "Ugh! This is terrible!" and he told me he thought it was adorable- that is how I look when I laugh, and he loves it :). I also have some of the "resting expression at different angles" photos, where I look at it and think, "man, my neckline/ cheek bones/ eyes/ etc look great here!". 
  • I've wanted to do it for a long time, but never got the stones mustered. It's tomorrow, and I've picked out some basic things, like a little black dress and huge heels, one of his work shirts, and one of my corsets. So its nothing too revealing at all. The only one i'm sorta nervous about is this mesh thing, and a pair of Batman boy shorts. I am not sexy at all, so I'm not going to be able to do that pouty look. I'm more hoping for some pretty shots of me smiling, or laughing since thats how I'm most comfortable.

It doesn't help either that I've just discovered the photographer is a guy. SO now it feels... Weird ? The photographer has these awesome reviews, and the studio was just picked for some photography award in our are, so I was really happy that they had an opening. Well, the one I've been talking to is a woman, and I assumed the assistant, and she told me she just finished a session and to check the pictures out on facebook (She is still trying to convince me to book for the wedding), and I saw that she was married to the photographer (who has a VERY common name, that is usually associated with a female), and I thought, "OH. Sweet. Lesbians! This will be an awesome time." Nope.
    That will be perfect! One of DH's favorite photos from my boudoir shoot is of me making a silly face that I always make. It was totally candid and totally me. He also loves ones where I'm smiling or laughing. Don't try to force sexiness! Your FH is going to love the pictures that capture who YOU are! Like you, I chose things that weren't too revealing so I'd feel comfortable. I didn't try sexy poses and stuff, because that just isn't me.

Hopefully you will feel comfortable even though one of the photogs is a guy. Let us know how it goes!

• Thats fantastic @RomanceManaged! I've always wanted to do one but I've been way to chicken. So glad it went so well for you. 
  • loved my boudoir shots! They came out awesome and made me feel great; I think everyone should do them- even if you don't show anyone else the photos. 
  • I'm also a plus size girl and I am in the process of arranging to have boudoir shots done before our wedding. I'm extremely nervous but I know my FI will be proud and love them.
  • That's awesome! Glad you had such a great time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards