Wedding Woes
Options

Room block release dates

edited February 2016 in Wedding Woes
The release date on the room blocks at my hotel/reception venue is 90 days before the wedding. Is that normal? 

This is my first post-let me know if I put in on the wrong board! The advice I've seen on the Knot forums has been very helpful so far!

thank you!

Re: Room block release dates

• Options
    I think it would depend on your city and what other events may be going on but that to me seems really early to release them. Of the three hotels I've talked to in my city they have stated 2-3 weeks before the dates they release them. I would check with other hotels in your area just to see what the average is and possibly talk to them about extending it.
  • Options
    Agree with PP.  90 days seems super early (especially because your invitations won't even be out at that point) but could be normal business depending on where you are and when your wedding is being held.  I could easily see a 90 day policy if your wedding coincides with a big event like a rivalry game or a convention.

It can't hurt to try to negotiate a different deadline, but if you can't, I'd be sure that OOT guests receive some sort of notification about the deadline that isn't tied to the invitation, like a quick phone call or email with the booking info. 

Finally, keep in mind hotel blocks are nice but not necessary.  If 90 days is what you are left with, and cannot negotiate, it's okay.  The block will likely still be useful to some of your guests.
    Anniversary

• Options
    30-45 days out is standard for blocks to be released.   So 90 is a little excessive.  If they won't negotiate, is there another hotel in the same area you could check with?
  • Options
    I want to say mine were released about a month out?  It's been awhile, but that sounds right.  At any rate, nowhere near 90 days.

I agree with PP about trying to negotiate a longer deadline.  Do guests have other options nearby?  If this is the only hotel for 20 miles, I might have a greater sense of urgency about letting guests know than if there are 5 different options in a 2 mile radius.
  • Options
    Whatever you find out your deadline really is, I would put it on your wedding website if you have one. Such as, "Our room block is at xhotel under y reservation for $abc per night. Kindly note you must reserve your room by N date in order to guarantee the block rate."

Beyond that, word of mouth for out of town people. Don't be pushy about it, try not to come off like you're pressuring people to book or even to RSVP early. Just like, "Oh, by the way, I found out my room block deadline is really early, so if you were planning to attend and stay there, they're only guaranteeing space and that rate until x date."

Ultimately blocks are a courtesy and if people find themselves needing a hotel room elsewhere, that's on them. 

• Options
    Thank you for the input! The hotel is the only major one in the (rural) area and most of the guests are coming from about 5-6 hours away. Other nearby options for guests would be small inns and B&Bs. If we end up going with the block, we certainly could find ways to (politely!) promote the early deadline.  
  • Options
    I think 90 is really far out.  

However, I do not know the area, what is going on, time of year, etc.  Some places average bookings are only a few weeks out.  So releasing rooms a few weeks out it not a big deal.  The will be picked up.

Other locations it's more that 3 or more months out.  For those places holding a block until 30 days might equal no pickups because their average guest does not book so close to their stay.

I would try and negotiate the release date.  Even if you get it to 60 days out it would be an improvement.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I would also call a week or two before the release date to see if they'll extend it. Perhaps the deadline is to allow other parties to reserve rooms and if there are still plenty available as the deadline nears they may be willing to extend.
  • Options
    Update: We've asked for a release date closer to the wedding date and have requested a smaller block for now. We can always add more rooms to the block if it looks like it's filling quickly.  Thanks for the help! :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards