Wedding Etiquette Forum

Announcing an Unplugged Ceremony

Re: Announcing an Unplugged Ceremony

• Whenever I hear referenced to an "unplugged" wedding, I think of this ...  

That, and I laugh at the idea of wanting the guests to be "fully present".  Are you afraid that they are goinng to show up without an arm?  I mean, unless there is a major amputation prior to your wedding, I doubt anyone wouldn't be "fully present".

</end snark>
    And what about those of us without tonsils/adenoids? Do I have to wait outside until the ceremony is over because there is no way for me to be fully present?
    Shit.  I had my tonsils / adenoids removed when I was 8.  I've NEVER been present for a wedding (not even my own).  DO OVER!!!
  • @holyguacamole79 that is what I was thinking as well. 

It is one of those things, like, in a movie, I am that person that gets irrationally mad at someone texting, but doesn't say anything.  So I thought of it. 

But really, I think once I am in the moment I would not notice.  I would just hate to get irrationally angry at someone's phone ringing, but I guess that is my problem? Ha!
  • Kind of off topic, what about asking people to silence their cell phones?  Is this not ok either?  Is it appropriate to have the officiant do this prior to the ceremony?  Or not at all? 

Had not really thought about it until this post, but remembered the horrible photo taking noise my mom's phone camera has . . . I don't know if it really matters though . . .
    I don't see a problem with the officiant reminding people to silence their phones at the beginning of the ceremony.
    Never been to a mass where they don't do this, so I would assume the priest would do it the day of a wedding as well- whether or not we advised him we wanted everyone to be 'fully present'.

Of course, this is not possible as FI had his appendix out- so he won't be fully present :/
  • @holyguacamole79 that is what I was thinking as well. 

It is one of those things, like, in a movie, I am that person that gets irrationally mad at someone texting, but doesn't say anything.  So I thought of it. 

But really, I think once I am in the moment I would not notice.  I would just hate to get irrationally angry at someone's phone ringing, but I guess that is my problem? Ha!
    Do you have an Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in your area?  They have a VERY strict no talking / no phone policy.  If someone complains, you get a warning.  If there is a 2nd complaint, you are told to leave w/o a refund.
  • Kind of off topic, what about asking people to silence their cell phones?  Is this not ok either?  Is it appropriate to have the officiant do this prior to the ceremony?  Or not at all? 

Had not really thought about it until this post, but remembered the horrible photo taking noise my mom's phone camera has . . . I don't know if it really matters though . . .
    Since this is done at plays, movies, and concerts, I think it's ok for your officiant to make an announcement asking people to silence their cell phones and to have this in a program, as long as there is no mention of "being present" or "in the moment."  
  • @holyguacamole79 apparently it is coming soon, so not soon enough!
  • banana468 said:
    I'm willing to bet that there are many American men who aren't "fully present" at their own weddings.....

This. There were gigantic spiders on the outsides of the windows H and I stood in front of during our ceremony. I couldn't stop looking at or thinking about those bastards.

ETA: I didn't read "men" in your post at first. But I was definitely distracted by humongous spiders.

I was really referring to the idea of "fully present" = "nothing removed".   I'm thinking many American men can't claim such a thing.

But yes, few people are fully present.   DH and I were occupied with him just staying conscious. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    I'm willing to bet that there are many American men who aren't "fully present" at their own weddings.....

This. There were gigantic spiders on the outsides of the windows H and I stood in front of during our ceremony. I couldn't stop looking at or thinking about those bastards.

ETA: I didn't read "men" in your post at first. But I was definitely distracted by humongous spiders.

I was really referring to the idea of "fully present" = "nothing removed".   I'm thinking many American men can't claim such a thing.

But yes, few people are fully present.   DH and I were occupied with him just staying conscious. 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I gotcha now!!!!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • banana468 said:

Off topic, but this reminds me: During our ceremony, our ring bearer - H's five year-old nephew - saw a spider on the ground, crawling slowly toward H. Nephew very loudly whispered "Uncle B, there is a spider crawling toward you!" while pointing to it. We all stopped so H could dispose of it. It was hilarious. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • OP on her wedding day like:

I can't stop laughing at this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Also slightly off topic ( and a thread hijack, sorry) my venue only allows the in house photographer to take pictures during the ceremony. How do I word this to people? I know they do it so you have to use their photographer but I still have to tell people

• Also slightly off topic ( and a thread hijack, sorry) my venue only allows the in house photographer to take pictures during the ceremony. How do I word this to people? I know they do it so you have to use their photographer but I still have to tell people

I would verify what, exactly, this means. I'd be willing to bet that it means you cannot have other professional photographers there, not that guests can't take their own pictures,
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • wmam35 said:
    Everytime I see this type of post I can't help but ask myself "Why is this a thing?"  I have NEVER been to a wedding where people were crawling all over each other to dive into the aisle to take pictures while standing directly in front of the professional photographer and have thus ruined the couple's entire wedding and marriage forever and ever. 

And also, if you tell me to "be fully present" and put away my phone, I'm going to roll my eyes at you.  And because, barf on your romantic mushy wedding vows.  Unless you're reciting the wedding vows from the beginning of Wedding Crashers in an ironic way, I'm not interested.  I love ceremonies.  But even a "short" ceremony (and short is a relative term, BTW) can be too much and the mind will wander. 

Also, if I am at a wedding, chances are I've got a babysitter at home, and my babysitter being able to get in contact with me is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME than your wedding ceremony.  Sorrynotsorry.
    One article written by a shitty photographer with all of these shitty photos that he/she claimed were made shitty by guest interference. It made the rounds and incited paranoia and that's what made "Unplugged Weddings" a thing.

After we booked our photographer I saw she shared that article on her Facebook page and I thought, "if this lady tries to suggest this to me I'm firing her. I don't care if I lose my deposit." Thankfully, she didn't.

I loved having photos taken by our guests immediately after the wedding. If we did a lame "Unplugged Wedding" we would have had no photos for several months after the wedding, while we waited for our photographer to give us ours. 
    --

I would verify what, exactly, this means. I'd be willing to bet that it means you cannot have other professional photographers there, not that guests can't take their own pictures,
    That would be my guess!

• edited February 2016
    Also slightly off topic ( and a thread hijack, sorry) my venue only allows the in house photographer to take pictures during the ceremony. How do I word this to people? I know they do it so you have to use their photographer but I still have to tell people

That would be my guess!

They don't want guests taking picture IDK why they would care, but their venue, their rules I guess. 

Etf typo

• I actually appreciate the reminders to turn my cell off/to silent. I wouldn't mind that being said just prior to the ceremony starting. I would be mortified if my phone ever went off during something special. I'm not sure how I feel about the unplugged request. I think that adults can manage their own behaviours but I have actually sat behind a lady who obscured my view with her iPad for the entire ceremony filming it and taking stills. I would probably still choose not to say anything if it was my wedding.

That would be my guess!

They don't want guests taking picture IDK why they would care, but their venue, their rules I guess. 

Etf typo
    I am curious how they would actually enforce this... Like, if it's the middle of the ceremony, and they see a guest taking a photo, are they going to interrupt to kick the guest out? This seems like an odd and unenforceable policy. It would make sense if they meant other professional photographers, but guests? Weird.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited February 2016
    @horriblegb, you'll love it!   The quote-alongs are SO MUCH FUN! 
  • wmam35wmam35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited February 2016
    Ugh @floridabride44 I know exactly what article you're talking about.  I hate that article. 

I still just don't understand this paranoia people have.  Like if you think your guests are so stupid and rude that they don't know how to take a picture without getting in the way, or will have their faces glued to their phone the entire ceremony (is that really a thing???), why are you such good friends with them that they're at your wedding?
  • wmam35 said:
    Everytime I see this type of post I can't help but ask myself "Why is this a thing?"  I have NEVER been to a wedding where people were crawling all over each other to dive into the aisle to take pictures while standing directly in front of the professional photographer and have thus ruined the couple's entire wedding and marriage forever and ever. 

And also, if you tell me to "be fully present" and put away my phone, I'm going to roll my eyes at you.  And because, barf on your romantic mushy wedding vows.  Unless you're reciting the wedding vows from the beginning of Wedding Crashers in an ironic way, I'm not interested.  I love ceremonies.  But even a "short" ceremony (and short is a relative term, BTW) can be too much and the mind will wander. 

Also, if I am at a wedding, chances are I've got a babysitter at home, and my babysitter being able to get in contact with me is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO ME than your wedding ceremony.  Sorrynotsorry.
    One article written by a shitty photographer with all of these shitty photos that he/she claimed were made shitty by guest interference. It made the rounds and incited paranoia and that's what made "Unplugged Weddings" a thing.

After we booked our photographer I saw she shared that article on her Facebook page and I thought, "if this lady tries to suggest this to me I'm firing her. I don't care if I lose my deposit." Thankfully, she didn't.

I loved having photos taken by our guests immediately after the wedding. If we did a lame "Unplugged Wedding" we would have had no photos for several months after the wedding, while we waited for our photographer to give us ours. 
    DH is an amateur photographer. He has done a wedding. His mentor was my brother's wedding photographer. He is fabulous. However, we live in a very small, very rural community, so photographer has a day job (def not enough work as a photog). He therefore, takes a very long time to edit and get pics back. 

We we left my brother's wedding early in the evening. We went home so he could stay up ridiculously late editing the pics he took so SIL (wasn't as nearly important to my brother) could have a bunch of beautiful, close to professional quality, wedding pics the next day. She cried when we went over the next morning. I think she loved getting them more than any of the presents they received. At one point (it's been a few years) there was one of DH's that was her favourite. 

Unplugged - she would have missed out on that. But, she's awesome and doesn't tell grown ups how to behave. 

• wmam35 said:
    Ugh @floridabride44 I know exactly what article you're talking about.  I hate that article. 

I still just don't understand this paranoia people have.  Like if you think your guests are so stupid and rude that they don't know how to take a picture without getting in the way, or will have their faces glued to their phone the entire ceremony (is that really a thing???), why are you such good friends with them that they're at your wedding?
    First of all, I'm not condoning the "Unplugged Wedding," nor do I intend to have one, and I actually look forward to seeing the cell phone pics guests take! But.  One of FI's grandfathers is actually this rude and self-absorbed. Despite numerous people asking him to sit down and get out of the way at FBIL's hockey tournament recently, he stood and walked in front of the glass the entire game taking pictures and blocking the view of everyone behind him. I'm very nervous that, for example, right as FI and I kiss at the end of the ceremony, that he'll jump into the aisle to take pictures and block the photographer/everyone behind him.  If we didn't have to invite him, we most definitely wouldn't because he's a pretty despicable person in general, but family politics being what they are...

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards