Chit Chat
Options

Happy MARDI GRAS!

We are not doing anything this year.  I think next year I will go to  NOLA though.  My boss man is really stressed this year, I've volunteered to go down next year to help out.  DH will join me if we go.

I just has my last chocolate milk until Easter.   I give up chocolate milk, hot chocolate and chocolate ice cream every lent.   I'm not even religious, but I still do it every year.        I use to give up soda, but I do not drink it often enough for it to be a sacrifice anymore.  

I have an unhealthy affair with fried chicken.  Maybe I should give that up too? I leave for NOLA on Sunday and always hit up a fried chicken place when I'm down there.  That would be a sacrifice.

Anyone doing anything on this Fat Tuesday?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Happy MARDI GRAS!

• Options
    Nothing special here, and I'm not religious or give anything up either.  Our office ordered food today for Fat Tuesday.  I'll be in NOLA on the 26th!  I don't like seafood or fish so let me know if you do find a great spot for chicken :)

• Options
    I'm in Michigan so to us it's Paczki (pawnch-ki) Tuesday!  I have one of these yummy bastards waiting with my name on it at the office when I get there!

Have fun in NOLA!  I was only there once and not for Mardi Gras so I need to get back.  And stick to chocolate.  You deserve your fried chicken.
  • Options
    Nothing special here, and I'm not religious or give anything up either.  Our office ordered food today for Fat Tuesday.  I'll be in NOLA on the 26th!  I don't like seafood or fish so let me know if you do find a great spot for chicken :)
    Wille Mae's is my favorite.    Although Dokey Chase's is pretty good too.  Both are a outside of the French Quarter, but worth.     Willie Mae's always has a line, but it goes quick.

Check out Parkway Bakery (also outside of the FQ).  They have great po-boy's.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm a teacher, and school was cancelled today because our power is out.  Yippee!  So I've spent this fat tuesday at home, which is nice.

Nothing big planned, but we might go out somewhere for a nice lunch.  You know, nice like Olive Garden or something, haha.  

And of course, I'm eating ALL. THE. SWEETS. because I'm giving dessert and soda up for Lent.  And I'm giving up Facebook because it's such a time-suck.  I'm hoping to spend more quality time with my daughter, instead of me supervising her while I chat online.  

I don't know if I'd ever brave NOLA during Mardi gras, but I would love to go back.  Such a beautiful city... and I love the food.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    I still haven't decided what I'm giving up.   I read an article about using Lent to be a way to change your outlook.   So I may try to stop being negative / complaining as well.

DD has had an odd stomach bug and I'm hoping the rest of us don't get it.   So right now she's on the couch watching Disney animated anything and dinner will probably be saltines and pasta with butter. 
  • Options
    I'm in Michigan so to us it's Paczki (pawnch-ki) Tuesday!  I have one of these yummy bastards waiting with my name on it at the office when I get there!

Have fun in NOLA!  I was only there once and not for Mardi Gras so I need to get back.  And stick to chocolate.  You deserve your fried chicken.
    Aww, that takes me back.  My mom's whole side of the family is Chicago-Polish.  My grandma lives outside Orlando now, probably not too many paczkis to be found there.

Weekdays are usually busy, so we celebrate Mardi Gras the weekend before.  I made a big pot of jambalaya in the crock pot, and DD and I made beignets and a king cake Sunday.  We played the Spotify Abita Mardi Gras playlist while we worked, and it turns out DS is a big fan of the song "Mardi Gras Mambo."  He was shouting "mambo, mambo, mambo!" along with the song. 
  • Options
    I went to a fundraiser over the weekend at a bar called Bourbon St, which was mardi gras themed as well.  I'm just now figuring out why she did this on Feb 6th.  The closest weekend to mardi gras.  I even won a mardi gras themed basket for a raffle prize.

• Options
    The last few years I haven't given anything up but I think I need to as a weight control method :) The bad things that have been creeping up lately are eating out, candy, and dessert.  The things that always get in my way
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    I'm a teacher, and school was cancelled today because our power is out.  Yippee!  So I've spent this fat tuesday at home, which is nice.

Nothing big planned, but we might go out somewhere for a nice lunch.  You know, nice like Olive Garden or something, haha.  

And of course, I'm eating ALL. THE. SWEETS. because I'm giving dessert and soda up for Lent.  And I'm giving up Facebook because it's such a time-suck.  I'm hoping to spend more quality time with my daughter, instead of me supervising her while I chat online.  

I don't know if I'd ever brave NOLA during Mardi gras, but I would love to go back.  Such a beautiful city... and I love the food.  
    It's not my favorite time of year.  The city is a fucking mess.   

I use to work at the Royal Sonesta (bourbon st).   OH MY GOD!!  We had to plastic wrap the entire baloney room floors, including the hallways.  Every single piece of furniture was removed.     People are just animals during MG.   I've never been so disgusted.  

However, one of my properties is on a parade route.  So it's busy.   Since most of our guests are timeshare owners they are tamer.   We only rent out a few of the non-owner rooms and keep the rest empty. Even those we do rent to are people we know.    It's not worth the money we can get if they trash the place.      

We have a balcony that we sell tickets for people to see the parades.  

• Options
    Heffalump said:

Aww, that takes me back.  My mom's whole side of the family is Chicago-Polish.  My grandma lives outside Orlando now, probably not too many paczkis to be found there.

Weekdays are usually busy, so we celebrate Mardi Gras the weekend before.  I made a big pot of jambalaya in the crock pot, and DD and I made beignets and a king cake Sunday.  We played the Spotify Abita Mardi Gras playlist while we worked, and it turns out DS is a big fan of the song "Mardi Gras Mambo."  He was shouting "mambo, mambo, mambo!" along with the song. 
    Rumor has it Publix sells them today, but I'm not sure how authentic they are.  Someone posted a link to Polish bakeries across the country this morning but now I can't find it.
  • Options

I sent my sister a some-e-card that said "happy fat Tuesday to someone who was already fat on Monday".

That's about as mardi gras-ey as I get.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

H & I were in NOLA in November.  H doesn't eat seafood at all and he found great food to eat at each restaurant we ate at.  We traveled via trolley to a place called Jacques Imo for fried chicken. 

We had seen that place on TV and H said, "I want to go there!", so I figured out how to.  It was a great ride on the trolley through the Garden District and then it was only a 2 block walk off the trolley stop.

I haven't even thought of anything to give up yet!  Yikes!  I did give up the computer at home in the mornings last year.  It kept me moving and doing things around the house instead of scrolling fb.  I might do that again, but I don't always get to the computer in the mornings since we've added the 2nd dog.  So I should probably think of something else.  With my new diet, I don't really eat any sugary foods on a daily basis anymore.  I limit my beer to twice a week, so that wouldn't be a struggle to give up either.

• Options

I sent my sister a some-e-card that said "happy fat Tuesday to someone who was already fat on Monday".

I sent the SAME ecard to my friends, it was first thing in the morning but I thought it read "Happy fat Tuesday from someone who was already fat on Monday" so I turned out to be a big jerk who thinks my friends are fat.  I need to learn how to read.

• Options

I sent the SAME ecard to my friends, it was first thing in the morning but I thought it read "Happy fat Tuesday from someone who was already fat on Monday" so I turned out to be a big jerk who thinks my friends are fat.  I need to learn how to read.

LOL! My sister and I are rude to each other in a totally joking way so she'll find it funny and not offensive at all. We joke like that a lot and we've both said that we're happy we know we're joking because some stuff (that that some e card) is freaking hilarious and our other friends would be offended.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I went to NOLA for Mardi Gras in 1999 and 2000 (was in college).  It's one of those things that I have crossed off my bucket list and I really have no desire to do again.  I agree with @lyndausvi ... the city is a crazy mess.

Funny story regarding our trip in 1999.  The priest who was our college campus minister used to be the campus minister at LSU.  So, he has a LOT of connections and goes to Mardi Gras annually to catch up with friends.  He has even ridden on the float for the Krewe of Zulu.  So, he asked several of us in the Catholic Student Group if we wanted to join him (he was dead serious).  He arranged for us to stay in a retreat house just outside of NOLA.  We'd go to things together during the day, and he'd meet up with his friends in the evening while we explored.  I'll never forget it ... we met him at a Denny's when we first got into town.  He walked in with a crapload of beads and explained "what took you guys so long to get here!?!?"  I still keep in touch with him and he still makes his annual trip to Mardi Gras.

We had a king cake during our Super Bowl party on Sunday, so we don't have plans for tonight.  I've been working late recently & I have nightly calls with our team in India, so that doesn't leave much time for revelry.  I'll likely have a glass (or 3) of wine during my conference call tonight.

For Lent, I'm going to go to Daily Mass or adoration daily (or at least try to).  I've done that several years and it really helped my faith life and helped me take a mental break during lunch (the church near my office will have lunchtime daily Mass during Lent).  DH is giving up Starbucks (I think), so he has warned me that he may be a bit grumpy.
  • Options
    I went to NOLA for Mardi Gras in 1999 and 2000 (was in college).  It's one of those things that I have crossed off my bucket list and I really have no desire to do again.  I agree with @lyndausvi ... the city is a crazy mess.

Funny story regarding our trip in 1999.  The priest who was our college campus minister used to be the campus minister at LSU.  So, he has a LOT of connections and goes to Mardi Gras annually to catch up with friends.  He has even ridden on the float for the Krewe of Zulu.  So, he asked several of us in the Catholic Student Group if we wanted to join him (he was dead serious).  He arranged for us to stay in a retreat house just outside of NOLA.  We'd go to things together during the day, and he'd meet up with his friends in the evening while we explored.  I'll never forget it ... we met him at a Denny's when we first got into town.  He walked in with a crapload of beads and explained "what took you guys so long to get here!?!?"  I still keep in touch with him and he still makes his annual trip to Mardi Gras.

We had a king cake during our Super Bowl party on Sunday, so we don't have plans for tonight.  I've been working late recently & I have nightly calls with our team in India, so that doesn't leave much time for revelry.  I'll likely have a glass (or 3) of wine during my conference call tonight.

For Lent, I'm going to go to Daily Mass or adoration daily (or at least try to).  I've done that several years and it really helped my faith life and helped me take a mental break during lunch (the church near my office will have lunchtime daily Mass during Lent).  DH is giving up Starbucks (I think), so he has warned me that he may be a bit grumpy.
    I went to the Zulu ball a few years back.      Amazing. So much fun.

I was able to get some of their coconuts (some of the most coveted items to get from the parades).

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I went to the Zulu ball a few years back.      Amazing. So much fun.

I was able to get some of their coconuts (some of the most coveted items to get from the parades).
    This priest cracks me up.  I just got this email from him (edited for some inside jokes):
    happy Mardi Gras! On the parade route at this minute. Just finished Rex and am waiting for the Elks trucks. My sermon topic for tomorrow is Sin, Repent, Repeat. The story of my life. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards