Chit Chat
Options

A Very Monday Wednesday

Holy crap. I have zero patience for speshul snowflakes - and perhaps people in general today.

Add to that the fact that I am flying north for my grandmother's 95th and just found out my cousin is still planning on bringing her sick baby - despite the fact that said baby has a nasty chest cold. 

I have an autoimmune disorder. She knows this. Also, our grandmother is elderly - which means her immune system is also very fragile. And yet she feels the need to disregard these facts and still put us at risk for getting sick.

/end rant.

What's grinding your gears today?

Re: A Very Monday Wednesday

• Options
    I really don't have any.

Work is slow (I'm guessing people are recovering from Mardi Gras).   I leave for NOLA on Sunday.  Do you know how hard it is to eat out on V-day alone?    I don't mind eating out alone, but on V-day it's just going to be a shit show.  I'm hoping people will decide to eat out on Friday or Saturday so I can get a bar set somewhere.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I hope you have a blast in NOLA - and I would imagine trying to have a solo dinner on VDay would be challenging. With it falling on a Sunday this year, I would think most people would celebrate on Saturday, but that's just me. 

I think H and I are going to get a pizza and watch movies in our sweatpants for VDay (which is my favorite thing to do most nights haha)
  • Options
    For me, it's beaurocratic bullshit at work.

I spent 15 minutes explaining to my superiors why I needed to do something. They still want to proof read a CYA email I may have to send out if they think it's necessary.

By this time I could've done what I needed to do.  It's especially frustrating bc I'm trying to explain technical details to 2 managers who are brand new to our project. They are concerned that the client PM (who is a pain in the you-know-what) will get mad that I will schedule time with a person to work though this. In my last email to the client PM, I explicitly said "We will most likely also need Joe’s help with mainframe updates."

SO WHY DO I HAVE TO SEEK PERMISSION FROM MY SUPERIORS TO ASK THE CLIENT PM IF I CAN SCHEDULE A MEETING WITH JOE!?!??!?
  • Options
    This has been the longest. week. ever. H started working graveyard shifts last week, and he has to work weekends to boot (despite the fact that he was hired for day shifts with one guaranteed weekend day off - it's bullshit). Plus some unexpected health issues came up, and I was basically left to my thoughts all weekend. It sucked.  And I have a doctor appointment next Tuesday that will determine the course of the next year for me, and it feels like it will never come.

Since H works Saturday and Sunday night, he will be asleep all day on V-Day. So I shall watch crappy movies alone, probably.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, @holyguacamole79 that sounds like a nightmare! So many companies take their red tape SOPs way too far. Sounds like there is wine in your future!
  • Options
    This has been the longest. week. ever. H started working graveyard shifts last week, and he has to work weekends to boot (despite the fact that he was hired for day shifts with one guaranteed weekend day off - it's bullshit). Plus some unexpected health issues came up, and I was basically left to my thoughts all weekend. It sucked.  And I have a doctor appointment next Tuesday that will determine the course of the next year for me, and it feels like it will never come.

Since H works Saturday and Sunday night, he will be asleep all day on V-Day. So I shall watch crappy movies alone, probably.
    FI will be working Saturday and Sunday nights, so this is me, too. We don't really do Valentine's Day, but still, I don't really want to be alone. Well, I am going to have brunch with a friend (we picked a diner so it wouldn't be a remotely romantic place) and then stopping by my mom's house, so at least I won't have to spend the entire day tip toeing around the apartment.

But still. It is kinda lame.

I hope your health issue gets resolved and quickly!
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
      DH fucking hates v-day.   With a passion.   It's all work, work, work.  This year it's on a holiday weekend (president's day in the USA).    So that might mean more people on Sunday.

I'm fine with not celebrating.  It's just I have to go out to eat because, you know, I'm on a business trip.    All  my friends in NOLA are working because, you guessed it, it's V-day (they are all in the restaurant business).

FWP

I am annoyed with DH (and myself).  So Friday we go to the grocery store.  Saturday we go to the store to pick up DH's drugs.  I pick up a few more things.    Sunday we go again (can't remember why, but it wasn't for a dire need.)  Monday to pick up another prescription and to drop off dry cleaning.  Tuesday we also go to pick up some heartburn medicine (we also had to go to the bank which is next door.)

This morning DH says we have to go to the store because he needs more juice.  WTF?    We have been to the store every day and now you figure out you are out of juice.   Seriously?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ugh @lyndausvi that's the worst. We use an app that syncs our lists so we can both write down what we need when we realize it and then we both have the entire list if one of us goes alone. It also helps because now FI can't tell me to put something on the list - I'm just like, you have the list, you add it.

Without a list, we are sunk. 

Also, I despise grocery shopping, so there's no way in hell anyone could get me there more than once a week. Even that is a challenge.
  • Options
    Thanks, @sparklepants41 ... the sad thing is that if I'm ever questioned about my hours I log, it will be disturbing how much time I spend updating emails to make sure I say juuuuuuuuust the right thing.  ugh.  Definte wine tonight.

madamerwin, that bites :(  I have late-night conference calls with India nightly, so I can moderately relate to the graveyard shift woes (obvsiously mine isn't nearly as bad as his).  I hope you're able to enjoy some chick flicks and wine this weekend!
  • Options

I'm sorry about your unexpected health issues. I hope all goes well at your doctor's appointment on Tuesday. 
  • Options
    I'm home from the hospital after a very successful surgery. But, I feel like I have no time to rest. I was up every two hours last night while in the hospital. The phone keeps ringing and I've had to deal with our realtor on our new home (option period ends today). Plus, H is trying to put together our tax packet to send to the accountant, which requires me to help. I just want some peace!!

• Options
    nerdwife said:
    Ugh @lyndausvi that's the worst. We use an app that syncs our lists so we can both write down what we need when we realize it and then we both have the entire list if one of us goes alone. It also helps because now FI can't tell me to put something on the list - I'm just like, you have the list, you add it.

Also, I despise grocery shopping, so there's no way in hell anyone could get me there more than once a week. Even that is a challenge.
    We are not the best at keeping lists.  But we are not on a strict budget either.  

We are every man for themselves type people too.   I do not drink juice.  DH does, but sometimes doesn't.  So if he wants juice he need to say something.   He will not think about needing more until he is pouring the last glass.

Which is kind-of  hilarious because he bitches at his guys for not letting him know when they are low on a product at work.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    nerdwife said:

We are not the best at keeping lists.  But we are not on a strict budget either.  

We are every man for themselves type people too.   I do not drink juice.  DH does, but sometimes doesn't.  So if he wants juice he need to say something.   He will not think about needing more until he is pouring the last glass.

Which is kind-of  hilarious because he bitches at his guys for not letting him know when they are low on a product at work.
    The list keeping is less about budget and more about we would never remember to get a single thing if it wasn't written down and we want to consolidate shopping to once a week.

That makes sense. We're more likely to check in on each other's things. FI drinks juice and I don't, but if I remember (like if we walk past the juice in the store), I will ask him if he needs more. But I guess that since we are such avid list keepers, even that's not particularly necessary.

Really, I just love lists.
  • Options

@Jells2dot0 I'm so glad that everything went well and I hope you get some very needed rest - both physically and emotionally. Hugs.

My day kinda sucks and I don't know why. I just want to go to bed but I have 4 more hours of work and I REALLY need to start packing for our move. But I wanna eat cookies and sleep. Wah.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

I'm sorry about your unexpected health issues. I hope all goes well at your doctor's appointment on Tuesday. 
    Thanks... I'm not dying or anything, and there could actually be good news, but the wait is just awful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks... I'm not dying or anything, and there could actually be good news, but the wait is just awful.
    I will keep my fingers crossed for good news for you!!!!
  • Options

nerdwife said:
    lyndausvi said:
    nerdwife said:

The list keeping is less about budget and more about we would never remember to get a single thing if it wasn't written down and we want to consolidate shopping to once a week.

That makes sense. We're more likely to check in on each other's things. FI drinks juice and I don't, but if I remember (like if we walk past the juice in the store), I will ask him if he needs more. But I guess that since we are such avid list keepers, even that's not particularly necessary.

Really, I just love lists.
    This. I have been known to make lists of the lists I need to make. No joke.
  • Options
    Glad to hear surgery went well, @Jells2dot0 ... I think of you whenever I go to Ft Worth to see my sister!
  • Options
    @nerdwife what is this list app you speak of?! H and I could reallllly use that....
  • Options
    @PamBeesly524 - it's called Wunderlist and it's amazing. We have like a bunch of lists - everything from a grocery list to a random to-do list to a movies to watch list. We even have lists for weddings things, like what pictures we want, questions we have, etc. I also have a private to-do list.

For shared lists, whenever he or I add something, it shows up on the other's list, and the same goes for when something is checked off (or deleted).
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    The moment when you get PISSED your brownie mix still has lumps, then you realize there are chocolate chips in the mix.    :/
    Omg. Brownies. Yum.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    The moment when you get PISSED your brownie mix still has lumps, then you realize there are chocolate chips in the mix.    :/
    Omg. Brownies. Yum.
    Ghirardelli too!

That is what happens when you go to the store for juice and see brownies on sale.

• Options
    Today is my Friday, but I'm in sales, so an out of office voicemail and auto response email really only means I avoid answering about 50% of the messages I get.

FI is at the Pistons game, so I decided to be nice and take out the trash for him.  Do you have any idea how much cardboard is in my basement?  I have literally (6) 12 pack pop sleeves, (2) 12 pack beer cases, (3) empty fabric softener sheet boxes and (2) empty cat litter boxes.  What in the ever loving hell is he doing?  Hoarding them to build a summer home in case I kick him out?

Jells2dot0 - glad to hear surgery went well!  I hope you get the rest you deserve/need.
    madamerwin - fingers crossed for good news!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Omg. Brownies. Yum.
    Ghirardelli too!

That is what happens when you go to the store for juice and see brownies on sale.
    I made that same mistake a couple of weeks ago. I stirred that batter for like 15 minutes trying to get out the clumps and finally my mother in law told me they had chocolate chips.

• Options
    emmaaa said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Omg. Brownies. Yum.
    Ghirardelli too!

I made that same mistake a couple of weeks ago. I stirred that batter for like 15 minutes trying to get out the clumps and finally my mother in law told me they had chocolate chips.
    yay!  I'm not alone.

• Options
    Today is my Friday, but I'm in sales, so an out of office voicemail and auto response email really only means I avoid answering about 50% of the messages I get.

FI is at the Pistons game, so I decided to be nice and take out the trash for him.  Do you have any idea how much cardboard is in my basement?  I have literally (6) 12 pack pop sleeves, (2) 12 pack beer cases, (3) empty fabric softener sheet boxes and (2) empty cat litter boxes.  What in the ever loving hell is he doing?  Hoarding them to build a summer home in case I kick him out?

Jells2dot0 - glad to hear surgery went well!  I hope you get the rest you deserve/need.

Ugh I hear ya. I asked H a few months ago if I need to call the garbage company because clearly they are not coming into out basement to pick up recycling and it appears that they should be.

I've started picking up the recycling he leaves in the basement and putting it in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Is your FI my husband? H saves every. single. cardboard shipping or packing box that comes in to our house. And we order a lot of stuff from Amazon. He usually tosses them down the basement steps, where they sit until he throws them into the corner. His reasoning is that for items we purchased that came in boxes, we may need the packaging when we move. And the rest of them "might come in useful." An entire corner of our basement is now Box Mountain, as we call it. Luckily he doesn't save soda/cat litter/fabric softener boxes like your FI, since our basement would be filled with boxes if he did that. But it's pretty bad.

A few weeks ago, I tried to tackle it. I broke down about half of the boxes to recycle, but it seriously does not look like I made a dent in it. I have been hounding H to deal with it, because it is becoming a fire hazard, but it still remains.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards