Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress help!!!

Hey everyone. I am lost on what bra I need for my dress! My wedding is in April and I have my alterations appointment next weekend. They told me to bring the bra and shoes I will be wearing. I have my shoes but the bra slipped my mind. I have a corset back dress. Do I really need a bra?

Re: Dress help!!!

• You'll want something I'm sure. The seamstress can sew cups into the dress if you like. If you're fairly well-endowed though you might want more than that.

A corset-back dress won't give you any more support than any other type of dress. It's more about the amount and placement of boning in the bodice that will determine how much support you'll have.
  • I disagree, I do not think you should need one.  I have a corset back dress and I am a very full 36DD and I am not wearing a bra.  They did all the alterations and when they tie my dress correctly it is tight enough to hold me in and up, plus I am much more comfortable without it.  I had my final fitting already and it was perfect.  If you want, get a bra, but try it on without the bra and see how you feel, if you're okay with it, return the bra!
  • So, I did my first fitting earlier (In late December, and I think the seamstress was just trying to make sure she planned for the worst case), but my wedding is also in April.  I showed up with undergarments the seamstress did not think were appropriate for the gown, and she measured and ordered my longline bra with a low back.  Perhaps you could call the person doing your alterations and ask her opinion, telling her you are a little stumped on what type of bra to wear?  Just a suggestion.
  • I agree with @JCocco219 . Have you tried on your dress at all since it arrived? For me, I was MUCH more comfortable without a bra (which was SO surprising considering I was a 36DDD at the time), and I thought my dress fit better too without one. A properly fitted dress that has support in the bust is many times enough, especially one with a corset back. I would try it both ways just to see, but don't feel like you MUST have a bra.

• I did try it on at the bridal store with a bra and it fit good. But at home when I tried it on, it felt so much better without a bra, even when it wasn't tied all the way. I am pretty small in that department so I am not afraid of anything popping out. I am more so afraid of going to get my alterations done and telling them I'm not wearing a bra, especially when they told me to bring a bra with that I am planning on wearing.
  • @Knotbride0416 I think it's just standard to remind their clients to bring any undergarments they plan to wear. What do they care if you wear a bra or not?

FWIW, when I did all my alterations, I got dressed in the fitting room alone and the seamstress came in to zip up my dress after I had already stepped into it. I don't think they are asking you to bring your bra because it's required.....

• Agreed with @labro , I think they all tell you to bring any and all undergarments and shoes, I think it is just customary to say that, but it is not required.  Just tell them you prefer not to, no biggie!
  • I am sure that's what they probably were doing. All the girls in my bridal party including my mom felt that it would be a little weird to not wear a bra so I really juts wanted to see if others take that option.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards