Chit Chat

Wedding Planning 101 - Advice Needed on Plan Book

Hey All, I'm not sure where to post this but it seems this may be the most appropriate board (as this is not about a specific wedding element). I got engaged in October, just had the engagement party before Valentine's Day, and am getting married October 2017. I have been using the online tools from The Knot, and Excel is my new best friend. I do like writing things down though, and I think it makes me feel more on top of things. That being said, has any one used a wedding planning book and do you have any recommendations. Right now, I think I'm between the book from The Knot (http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wedding-Planner-Organizer-binder/dp/0770433367/ref=zg_bs_5427_1) and Mindy Weiss's Wedding Planner and Organzier (http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Planner-Organizer-Mindy-Weiss/dp/0761165975/ref=zg_bs_5427_3).

Has any one used one of these? What did you think? Is there another one that's worth looking at? (I think I'll be buying this from Amazon, so I won't be in a physical store where I can view the book before I buy.)

Thanks! 
Justine 

Re: Wedding Planning 101 - Advice Needed on Plan Book

• Honestly, I would save your money.  If you really feel the need to write things down buy a blank journal.  With the internet and computers you really don't need an actual wedding planning book/organizer.  I bought a binder to keep all my contracts and such in, but seeing as 90% of the paper work was done via email and things being signed and then scanned, the binder became pointless.

• I got the knot wedding planning book as a gift, but, like @Maggie0829 said, it's not enormously helpful. It's a lot of stuff from the website (which is all free) divided into sections. We were using it to write down expenses, but we also use google docs and sheets, which are much easier to use and more accessible. We do have all of our contracts and paperwork in it, but you could just as easily use a regular binder.
  • Echoing what @Maggie0829 said, I agree you should save your money. I, too, thought about getting a pre-made wedding planner, but then decided to just get a binder and some tabs and those clear organizer inserts that I put magazine clippings into for inspiration. 

With the money you save you can get a bottle of wine (or two) to share with your bridesmaids!
  • I was given a hand me down book - it's so thick it was basically terrifying to me! Pp's are right, websites are much easier to search exactly what you want, excel is perfect for keeping on top of expenses, a binder for documents, and a notebook for lists / notes. Those will be your best friends.

I trawled pinterest and wedding blogs incessantly when I first got engaged, and honestly it panicked me even more. Too much perfection to chase. Eventually I found The Knot and slowed my roll. I realised that so long as I focused on making sure my guests were well taken care of and had a great time it would actually make my day special in a way that the perfect centrepieces never will.

Good luck! Change your user name and stick around.

• Thank you guys! I appreciate all the help. It does seem quite overwhelming at first ... but I'll breathe, and use the online tools.
  • Thank you guys! I appreciate all the help. It does seem quite overwhelming at first ... but I'll breathe, and use the online tools.

Be careful with the Knot online tools. They've been known to crash or disappear or just generally suck. I liked the budget tool but didn't rely on it 100%.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Good to know, @ShesSoCold, I like the 'check list'.  I found that helpful.

OP, I do everything online.  I rely heavily on my spreadsheets and the tools here too.  But that's just me, I love online planning.  It seems like you like to write things down, so go with the posters and get a regular binder.  You could find some neat stuff on sale at Walmart maybe?

• I bought my daughter a planner because I had had one that I found was very useful when I was a bride - back in the dark ages. She didn't use the one I gave her because everything was on line or spread sheets. Save your money.
  • Ditto others. 

My mom bought me a huge planner,and I barely touched it.   I bought a simple spiral with my monogram on it and called it a day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards