Attire & Accessories Forum

Rawr

Ok, I need help.  I've gone dress shopping 4 times and have put on well over 20 dresses.  A lot of them look very pretty, but nothing that makes me feel particularly pretty.  I really think I just found the cut that is flattering to me and so most of the dresses in that cut are "pretty".  When I started looking, I wanted to spend under $1,000 on a dress. I have pretty bad sticker shock from this whole wedding thing, and my fiance and I both have expensive taste.  We have worked out a reasonable amount to save each month that will easily pay for the wedding, but I don't like to spend a boatload of money and would much rather pay less if I can.

I fell in love with an Amelia Sposa dress... Which is a designer in Italy who only sells in Italy.  http://ameliasposa.it/catalog/item-52/

Literally every dress I try on I pick at because it doesn't have the everything this dress has.  It is all of the things I want.  I contacted the company and I could buy it, try it on and return it.  I think in the end I would be out return shipping, which insured and to Italy isn't exactly small potatoes.  It's really hindering any ability to find something local though because I just keep comparing to this dress.  IF I were to get it, it's over $1,000 but not as much as I would have expected based on the design/style - yet I know I'll need to factor in alterations too.

My fiance wants me to order it.  He's been pushing me to try on dresses over my ideal budget anyways because I always come home unhappy from shopping.  I feel like, if I'm going to go over then I'm getting this.  He wants me to order it so at the very least I can put it on and get the dream of it out of my head.  I'm tempted. It's not ideal price-wise but it's not impossible either. 

Anyways... I guess I need someone to either validate my crazy or tell me my crazy is crazy. This is causing me WAY more stress than a dress really should... because at the end of the day it is just a dress.

Re: Rawr

• No advice for you (the other ladies will be much more help), but I see why you're crazy about that dress. So glamorous.
  • Only you know if your budget can accommodate splurging. If budget is tight I wouldn't advise going into debt for a dress that you wear one day only. But if you have the $$'s and it doesn't require cutting costs for anything relating to how you host your guests? You need to decide if it's something of value to you worth paying more.

Have you tried looking on resale websites for lightly used in the style you like?

• It is gorgeous, and I understand why you are so smitten with it. Surely some boutique stores have something like it though (or maybe the cost is too high). I agree with @glasgowtolondon only you can decide if it is worth the cost to go with the Italian designer.
  • I agree with PPs that you need to figure out if it's worth it to go over budget.

But man, oh man, is that a gorgeous dress!
  • That reminds me very much of this dress that a friend of mine tried on and loved:

http://www.allurebridals.com/products/2850

I have no idea of the price, but I agree with PP's.  If you can afford to splurge I'd so go ahead.  But the comfort of guests should come first, I will remember how well I was treated before I will remember the brides dress!

• Have you tried on a dress with the embellishment all over like that? I only ask  because I tried on a dress that had it on the bodice and felt like my arms were scratching it right away and I'd be rubbed raw if I chose the dress. That might not be an issue for you but something to consider before thinking of buying.

I'm financially conservative and personally I would not do it. I'd rather take that picture to bridal salons or do google image searches to find something similar I could try on vs paying to ship and potentially return ship.

• That's very pretty @cowgirl8232.  

And thanks... I have tried on dresses with a lot of beading and it doesn't tend to bother me.  What I don't like is it usually stops part way down and the skirt is plain. Finding anything remotely similar at a bridal salon, I end up spending more than this dress costs.  So I'm not even willing to try those one right now.  I've sat looking for similar dresses and just can't seem to find anything that has the pieces of this I like.  Whenever I do, it's over the price so seems silly.

I'm pretty financially conservative too which is why I'm having so much trouble making up my mind... it just feels stupid.

And I want to definitely be clear that it wouldn't take away anything from the guests!  That's already set and ready to go.  I'm thinking of taking away flowers if I can talk my fiance into it.  I'm actually trying right now to see what extra work I can do.  I might try to review some grants to get a few hundred dollars that would make it reasonable.

thanks everyone!
  • Tried to look online for similar items but like you said hard to find for under $1,000. I think I remember from all of my Say Yes to the Dress episodes that the more bling = more $$

https://moncheribridals.com/browse/wedding-dresses/sophia-tolli/y11625-amira-2/   $1500 though

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_jewel-lace-a-line-wedding-dress-with-beading-wg3755_wedding-dresses-a-line-silhouette  Silhouette isn't quite as fitted 

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_jewel-tulle-a-line-wedding-dress-with-lace-detail-wg3729_wedding-dresses-a-line-silhouette  Again, A line and not fitted

• i am seeing a designer la sposa are they one in the same? if so rk bridal in ny ny has them 
  • kvruns said:

Tried to look online for similar items but like you said hard to find for under $1,000. I think I remember from all of my Say Yes to the Dress episodes that the more bling = more $$

https://moncheribridals.com/browse/wedding-dresses/sophia-tolli/y11625-amira-2/   $1500 though

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_jewel-lace-a-line-wedding-dress-with-beading-wg3755_wedding-dresses-a-line-silhouette  Silhouette isn't quite as fitted 

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_jewel-tulle-a-line-wedding-dress-with-lace-detail-wg3729_wedding-dresses-a-line-silhouette  Again, A line and not fitted

You know what's funny, I just saw that first one and was waiting to find out the price!  thanks for looking. That's really sweet and helpful
  • Only you know if your budget can accommodate splurging. If budget is tight I wouldn't advise going into debt for a dress that you wear one day only. But if you have the $$'s and it doesn't require cutting costs for anything relating to how you host your guests? You need to decide if it's something of value to you worth paying more.

Have you tried looking on resale websites for lightly used in the style you like?
    Also... Yes. And I have alerts on most sites. No luck yet though. I have found other people who have ordered from the designer but different gowns and were very happy with quality. 
  • Hi, as a disclaimer I need to say I'm a wedding pro even though my profile doesn't show it (for the moment The Knot accepts vendors from the US, I work in Italy).

The designer you linked has caused some discussion also on Italian wedding forums and people have been struggling to get them to respond to requests. If you have good reviews from reputable sources and they have been in touch with you directly too though, that's great.

I took a look at the website, and the fact that they do not list a physical address nor a direct telephone number, makes me wonder.. Italian companies are by law required to show their tax number (P.IVA or partita IVA) on the website too, and I couldn't find it. Also the website doesn't exist in Italian, which is strange for an "Italian" company.

Maybe they are great, but as someone else suggested, I would try going around your local shops with a photo of the dress first. 

These are just some of the alarms that went on in my head. It is possible that they aren't actually located in Italy (or they might not be TAX registered!) but I would be very careful before ordering from them. Or maybe it's just a bad website, who knows! 

Good luck!
  • Hi, as a disclaimer I need to say I'm a wedding pro even though my profile doesn't show it (for the moment The Knot accepts vendors from the US, I work in Italy).

The designer you linked has caused some discussion also on Italian wedding forums and people have been struggling to get them to respond to requests. If you have good reviews from reputable sources and they have been in touch with you directly too though, that's great.

I took a look at the website, and the fact that they do not list a physical address nor a direct telephone number, makes me wonder.. Italian companies are by law required to show their tax number (P.IVA or partita IVA) on the website too, and I couldn't find it. Also the website doesn't exist in Italian, which is strange for an "Italian" company.

Maybe they are great, but as someone else suggested, I would try going around your local shops with a photo of the dress first. 

These are just some of the alarms that went on in my head. It is possible that they aren't actually located in Italy (or they might not be TAX registered!) but I would be very careful before ordering from them. Or maybe it's just a bad website, who knows! 

Good luck!

FYI The Knot allows vendors to register for the site to advertise, but not to participate on the forums.

Also, this post is quite old. Please keep in mind the date of the post when responding.

• edited April 2016

FYI The Knot allows vendors to register for the site to advertise, but not to participate on the forums

Hi and thanks for the advice. Too bad to register as a vendor on the site you would have to be located in one of the US states (the drop down menu doesn't offer the option for overseas vendors), and while I made the disclaimer of working in the industry, the scope of this message was to give advice on Italy and how things work here, not to advertise in any way.
  • Have you tried Pearl's Place in Louisiana?  Call them and ask.

http://pearlsplace.com/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards