Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Dark lipstick?

Has anyone here done dark lipstick for their wedding? I want a deep purple, almost black, but I'm worried about longevity and maintenance on the day itself! I love my lippy and plan on getting my makeup done professionally. 
Thanks!

Re: Dark lipstick?

• Options

I haven't, but i wear bold lipstick pretty frequently! Are you used to wearing a bolder lip? I only ask because it’s a more dramatic look and you want to feel comfortable in it on the day of! Maintenance on the day of will be more than a lighter lip colour, mainly because of the dramatic difference in colour between your lip and your lipstick. I would expect your make up artist to fill in your lip with a liner, then apply the lipstick. You may want to purchase the lip colour you want to use so that you can do touch ups as needed through the night. Matte finishes tend to last the longest; MAC Retro line, BITE cosmetics and Stila liquid lipstick are my “go to” brands. 

• Options
    I will second stila liquid lipstick! I wore it on my wedding day in "Firey" which is very bright red, use the primer that they have as well. It stayed on through kissing, pictures, ceremony, and eating. I didn't have to touch it up once!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd suggest a liquid lipstick, such as the Stila liquid lipstick as PPs mentioned, Kat von D, Jeffree Star, etc. They're going to last a long time and give you a pretty powerful color.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I am quite used to wearing bold lipstick, I love it. I'm just concerned about it wearing off but I guess that's also what MOH is for! 
    I'll look into Stila liquid, thanks ladies. I've used OCC lip tar religiously for a while, but it does bleed after a LONG day because of the oiliness.
  • Options
    Have you looked into MAC's Cyber or Smoked Purple? I think Smoked Purple in particular could work for you if you still want the dark purple lip hue. 

I would def recommend you also get a great lip primer for your makeup artist to use, that will help it from feathering, bleeding and wearing off during your special day.

What MAC's Smoked Purple looks like:

"But feeeemales are strong as hell~"
  • Options
    It's absolutely depends on details of your wedding! I mean flowers, dresses of bridesmaids, your own dress and, of course, type of your face and hair. If this color suits to your face, it doesn't matter that it's a wedding day, I think. Moreover, dark color will make you very bright, it's also very good!)
  • Options
    laurawr89 said:
    I am quite used to wearing bold lipstick, I love it. I'm just concerned about it wearing off but I guess that's also what MOH is for! 
    I'll look into Stila liquid, thanks ladies. I've used OCC lip tar religiously for a while, but it does bleed after a LONG day because of the oiliness.
    I hope you aren't making your MOH carry your stuff around all day. If she offers great but she's not there to wait on you hand and foot. You are honoring her by asking her to stand up with you, not making her your personal servant. 

My MOH did offer to carry my lipstick around and even made a mini emergency kit but I never expected that and had a small clutch and stuff ready to go before she insisted on handling it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Colour Pop has some great liquid matte lipsticks too! Its what I used and it lasted the whole day!
  • Options
    If it's something you normally do, go for it. Just try to find one that has serious staying power. The reason I bring this up is you will be doing a lot of talking, kissing & drinking during the day and don't forget about when you eat too. If your lipstick comes off easily, in any bright or bold color, you may be left with a dark outline of your lips looking like you put on a heavy dark lip liner. A good photographer will get some awesome moments of you without you even realizing it, so you want a lipstick that will have your lips looking camera ready all day long (with occasional touch ups).
  • Options
    I'm wearing a brown-red. I say yes on dark lipstick because it looks better on photos. Have a friend take pictures of you with your makeup and see how it turns out. As long as it fits your skin, features and goes with everything else you're good. 

Get a lip stain or something that stays. Younique has a good lip stain that stays on my lips the whole time at parties. It works like Avon where you have to buy it from an independent rep selling them. My friend sells them www.lavishlasheslips.com

I plan to use that with a clear gloss just in case it gets dry. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards