Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Playlist DIY and how to keep it under control?

So We're doing our own music for the wedding. It just wasn't in the budget to hire a DJ. However, while i'm excited to make the playlist and put a variety of fun party music on it, I fear certain wedding guests will start changing music and messing with all of it during the wedding. (this happened at my future brother-in-law's wedding, and it was pretty annoying. the songs were being changed before they were even over!) My biggest pet-peeve is when people change a song before the end. I felt like that was sort of rude for that guest to take it upon himself to change the music to whatever he wanted.

I have created a very wide mix of songs and it will be ordered so that not all the slow songs are at once and so that we have music from all genres and eras playing. How do I keep guests from changing the music (or messing with the set up at all for that matter) without sounding rude or like a bridezilla?

Re: Wedding Playlist DIY and how to keep it under control?

• Like @laurawr89 said, I'm sure there's something you can do to lock your device. I just tried googling that for you and couldn't find anything; if it's an Apple device you're using, just head over to your nearest Apple store and ask a tech guy/gal.

In the event that you CAN'T lock your device, I don't know. If the device connects to speakers remotely, you could always keep it at yours & FI's table at the wedding. Or entrust it to a parent/friend/BM.

Otherwise, I think your only option is going old school and literally writing a sign next to the iPod/whatever that says "do NOT touch me!"
  • Also, speaking from experience, have back up playlists, in case things get messed up.  We had to fix the song order mid-reception.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    I'd do a little more research on DJ's in your area, there are budget friendly DJ's in all areas (not all of them advertise on the internet!).  You don't need to spend thousands, there are DJ's out there who will come in reasonably.  Plus, presuming you've got to rent the sound system and pay for the songs, you may find the nickels and dimes are in the running for hiring a pro to come in and do it for you!  Plus, the value of your time to put all of this stuff together!  It's a "Know your crowd" thing and your crowd sounds like they'll be a PITA... 
  • H and I didn't have a DJ either - we only had 50 guests and we're not huge party people so it didn't make sense for us to hire someone and rather just do it ourselves. Surprisingly enough, no one even though to go over to my H's phone to change the song so you might be surprised. I do recommend just putting a lock on your phone - that should stop anyone who wants to randomly change the music.
  • I think my advice depends on how much you think dancing will be a big/important part of your reception. If you really want people to be into the music and dancing aspect, I'd recommend looking for someone you can hire to at the very least monitor the playlist you have set up and adjust it based on the vibe of the room- it's pretty impossible to anticipate exactly how the mood will ebb and flow in advance and if you really want to foster a dancing atmosphere, you need someone to make those calls in the moment. Maybe there's like a local college student who could DJ for a discounted rate? 

If the music is more of just background-noise and not really a centerpiece, feel free to just put it on, lock your device and not worry about it. I wouldn't think it's something you need to address directly, people will just realize they can't access the playlist and move on.
  • Thank you all for the ideas! I'll definitely do some research with my future hubby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards