Chit Chat
Options

Worst week ever.

Okay, well let me preface this by saying that obviously, other posters are having worse weeks than I am, but I still really need to rant/vent a little, so please bear with me.

Last Thursday I got a text from my mom that my grandma apparently fell the previous Friday and hit her head. She was in the hospital but decided she didn't want to worry anyone, so she lied to everyone. My mom and aunt called her throughout the week (as per usual) and she acted like everything was fine and she was out playing cards and whatever other things she does. She was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and sent to a rehab. However, the rehab didn't take good care of her, and she ended up severely dehydrated and with a UTI. When one of her friends went to visit her and noticed she was no longer acting fine, she finally called my aunt to tell her what happened, who then called my mom, etc. Everyone was thoroughly freaked out. My aunt took a red eye flight down to Florida to see my grandma and assess the situation. She demanded that the rehab send her back to the ER because she was so out of it, and they spent the next day there. The hospital wouldn’t admit her and my aunt refused to take her back to the rehab, so she decided to bring her home. However, once she got her home, she realized she could not take care of my grandma on her own but, because she is difficult and likes to be a martyr, refused help. So my uncle called my mom and asked if she or one her kids could fly down to Florida until Monday or Tuesday (this was Friday night) to help my aunt get my grandma settled, basically without telling my aunt until after the tickets were purchased. My mom contacted my brothers and me and I volunteered to fly down.

I left first thing Saturday morning. I got there and saw what my grandma was like, which was not great. We found out later that she had some sort of cardiac episode (still unclear exactly what happened) and fell down while shopping for cards (on a funny note, I later asked her who she was buying cards for, and she said she was buying everyone's cards for the whole year, which I found kind of hilarious. She even said she got get well cards in case someone got sick.). She fell so dramatically that she fractured her skull and had a brain bleed. As a result, she is unable to stay awake for long periods of time. This waxes and wanes – on Sunday, she was awake and talking for a lot of the day, but on Monday, she was so tired she had difficulty getting out of bed and getting herself to the bathroom.

Overall, even when she is at her most alert, she cannot take care of herself. She is wearing depends because she sometimes does not have the strength or presence of mind to get to the bathroom. At best, she can walk with a walker and support from another person. This is a person who was previously living completely independently, so this is relatively devastating both for her and our family.

Anyway, there has been a lot of family drama about her long term care. My aunt and uncle have, let's say, a lot more resources to help with her care, while my mom really does not have resources at all, especially since my dad peaced out five years ago. I was stuck in the middle of this, because my mom and I didn't agree with some of the decisions my aunt was making about my grandma's care and how things were going, and I was obviously communicating everything to my mom, who would then argue with my aunt. Talk about awkward. In the end, I know we all want what's best for my grandma, but it was hard, especially when my aunt kept making my mom feel guilty for not being down there with her (this is a common occurrence and, to be fair, both my aunt and my mom were down there just a couple weeks ago for a long weekend visit, so it's not like my mom doesn't visit).

I ended up staying until Wednesday morning, and by the time I was leaving I felt like I was going to explode if I had to listen to my aunt make one more inaccurate medical assertion (she and my uncle are in the medical field, but not anything to do with any of the problems my grandma has, but they still insisted they know everything). Ultimately, she's decided to bring my grandma home with her, assuming she can get her to the airport and on a plane Saturday morning. Fingers crossed that occurs.

Ironically, FI and I have a trip schedule for a week from Monday to go to Florida and visit her for a week. Now we will just be in Florida for a week without her, which is odd. We are still going because FI only has vacation time in blocks, so it's take a vacation now or not until our honeymoon in October, plus warmth and beaches and such doesn't sound like the worst thing.

On top of all that, my dad sent me a horribly obnoxious email on Monday night. I have never really gotten into it about my dad on these boards, but basically he's a narcisistc asshole who refuses to take responsibility for himself and his actions. I was previously planning on just inviting him as a guest, even though the thought made me uneasy, as he's a douche and loves to get drunk, which is not a winning combination. Now I'm pretty sure we're not inviting him at all. Honestly, I wanted that all along, but I was afraid of backlash from my siblings (who do speak to him). But at this point I just can't see us having him there. Apparently he also got into some kind of fight with my mom's boyfriend over the weekend (who is essentially my stepdad and with whom I'm relatively close), which also helps seal the deal – I cannot have him fighting at the wedding.

So anyway, I realize this is all just the ravings of a crazy person, but I'm back in the office today and basically just want to yell a lot. Sorry for the rant. If you read this whole thing, thanks a bunch. If you skipped to this part, I do not blame you.

Re: Worst week ever.

• Options
    This is not the ravings of a crazy person.  Dealing with aging family members is difficult emotionally, personally and legally.  It's amazing you were able to drop everything and go and at the end, regardless of how draining it was, I'm sure you'll be glad you had that time with her.  

And I'm sorry to hear that about your dad, and hope your siblings respect your decision.  (hugs)
  • Options

that does sound difficult, vent away. Dealing with aging parents/grandparents is something I do not look forward to.

Is grandma nearby you now or does aunt live somewhere else ?

• Options
    Vent away.  I hope you're Grandma gets better.  

• Options
    I am so sorry!!! The situation with your aunt sounds incredibly frustrating, and it is always hard to see a grandparent (or any family member for that matter) decline health wise.

As for the dad situation, yours sounds exactly like mine. I didn't invite my dad to my wedding either. He sent a series of hateful, manipulative emails to me right after he left my mom that were relationship ending ultimately. Blood doesn't make someone family, and blood doesn't mean that someone has to be in your life. Always remember that.

Hugs to you!!  

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    Holy crap- I am surprised the hospital would not re-admit your grandmother- she does not sound well! Even if the bleed to her head is minor, she is still not at her baseline, and with the addition of the possible cardiac events and then subsequent dehydration..... ack!!

I'm a physiotherapist in the hospital setting. I've worked a lot with geriatrics on medicine wards.... I can see the hospital sending her to rehab if she was medically stable, but with a change in her medical status, *I* think she should have been sent back to the hospital. Particularly if her level of consciousness is altered from baseline, grandmother is not a well woman right now. Obviously I don't know your grandmother, and even in hospital the decision to admit/discharge is ultimately not my role, but it's frustrating when you see some people who get to stay in the hospital for days and weeks at a time because the patient refuses the discharge plan or the family makes a fuss, but then you have these other cases where a patient slips through the gaps.

I am glad though that someone is with your grandmother. Hopefully your aunt will know enough of when to bring her back to the hospital if she needs it.

Sorry to hear you are getting stuck in the middle of the family drama. Grin and bear it as best you can. If you are going to Florida anyway, perhaps check on Grandma's house and spend a day tidying it up and possibly installing some safety equipment for her return home (wall grab bars in the bath tub/ shower, toilet arm rests or a grab bar on the wall beside the toilet, remove rugs, clear path of space in all areas of the home, level floor lines between rooms).

Sorry for things not going so well with your dad. My best friend did not invite her dad to her wedding. She was really agonizing over it for awhile as she only maintains a superficial relationship with him because he *is* her dad. She was also worried if he found out he'd think something like her step dad was walking her down the aisle (which he didn't) and show up at her mom's house freaking out. In her benefit, her brother doesn't talk to their dad at all, so there were no hard feelings on that end. Fortunately none of that happened. It was a lovely day and she hasn't had any backlash (probably because that is how limited her relationship with her dad is).

In this case, I think you do have to go with what you feel is right. Just because this man is biological related to you does not automatically make him family. He is also an adult and has to realize his actions have consequences- he doesn't get a pass just because he's your "dad".

• Options
    Maybe talk to your siblings and tell them why you've decided not to invite him. Chances are, even though they have a different relationship with him, they'll understand.

• Options
    ((((((((Hugs to you))))))))))))), @nerdwife.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! My grandma is doing a little better and is now safely with my aunt in California (where she lives), so that's good news. As for my dad, I still feel confused about what to do, especially because my mom has even said she doesn't see how I could just not have him there, particularly because of how my siblings will react.

Good thing I have eight months to think about it (well, six, but still).
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma!  And it is a bit ironic (and certainly unfortunate) that you were traveling next week to see her and now she is in CA because of her accident.  But I hope you and your FI at least have as relaxing a time as possible.

I concur with the other PPs about your father.  If you don't want to invite him, I'm sure that is for the best.  Out of curiosity, did he know about your grandma when he sent his hateful e-mail?  If so, all the more reason to cut him out of your life or at least keep him at a huge distance.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma!  And it is a bit ironic (and certainly unfortunate) that you were traveling next week to see her and now she is in CA because of her accident.  But I hope you and your FI at least have as relaxing a time as possible.

I concur with the other PPs about your father.  If you don't want to invite him, I'm sure that is for the best.  Out of curiosity, did he know about your grandma when he sent his hateful e-mail?  If so, all the more reason to cut him out of your life or at least keep him at a huge distance.

I asked myself this question, since I obviously did not tell him myself, but it seemed unlikely that he would have no idea (since he does talk to my siblings). I found out yesterday that he actually spoke to my mom on Friday (and almost got into a physical altercation with her boyfriend), and that she told him what had happened and that I had flown down there.

So, yes, he knew. Not cool.
  • Options
    I'm very sorry about your grandma and your father.

But you don't sound crazy at all...just like someone who has a lot to vent about.  Vent away!  We all hope for the best for you. And have a good trip to FL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards