Chit Chat

Oscars, anyone?

2»

Re: Oscars, anyone?

• Just two years after resigning from his position in Boston, which the Church called "an important step in the healing process",[4] Pope John Paul IIappointed Law as Archpriest of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome in 2004. He resigned from this position upon reaching the age of 80 in November 2011.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archpriest

it appears to me to be a largely ceremonial or honorary position. 
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    KatWAG said:
    @banana468 , I'm likely to rent it soon to watch.  I've read several Catholic reviews of it & they've all been positive.  One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again.

It doesn't  seem like the Catholic church has learned anything. These stories of abuse are so common now (worldwide) that many are not deemed news worthy.

Spotlight focuses on Cardinal Law and what he knew about the sexual abuse. The Boston Globe was able to prove 90+ members of the Catholic Church abused children. And how did the church respond? The Pope promoted Law an Archpriest in Rome.

Sorry but I don't feel bad that the Catholic Churches reputation was trashy. And I don't think they deserve to be patted on the head for any tiny and insignificant steps they have been forced to take.

I think its really interesting that you are expressing opinions on a movie you haven't even seen yet.

SITB

When I said,  
    "One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again."  

I am referring to comments in general, not just regarding the movie.   And, I don't think anyone should be patting anyone on the back.  But, don't pretend that the Church is continuing business as usual without taking precautions.  I've seen friends go through the seminary screening process shortly after this all happened.  They are put through several psychological tests /interviews.  

I downloaded the movie, though.   

And WTF is an archpriest?

Just as a more general statement, my issue with this is a) psychological tests in seminary are not actually good enough, b) obviously this will happen again, any time adults are in a position of power over children this happens, don't let's say never again instead of saying next time everyone goes to jail, c) this wasn't an isolated incident or moment in time, institutional abuse by the Catholuc church is a centuries old problem, and d) cry me a river- your church abused children and lied about it to save money, so no the rest of us don't need to acknowledge steps taken every time we discuss this. It's like a murderer demanding that we all acknowledge his clean prison record. It's great that you haven't stabbed anyone this week but not actually important to me. 

as an outsider to the Catholic Church, but a faithful Christian, id rather the church show contrition and change than tell me about it. And I'm not sold on the idea that change is a priority since abolishing celibacy and adding female priesthood haven't really been given much of a chance. Fine, there are other church priorities, but let's not then pretend that the children come first. 
  • edited March 2016
    @STARMOON44 ,thanks!   I  was totally confused by that archpriest thing. 
  • Re: abolishing celibacy .... based on that I've read about abuse (not Catholic literature), the majority of abusers are actually married (or, at least, habe not taken a vow of celibacy).  The monsters who did this likely would've done this regardless of their vocation.  (http://theweek.com/articles/479986/pedophilia-guide-disorder)

You don't have to acknowledge it, but as a person involved with Catholic youth and clergy, I will say that there has been a lot done.   I pray it's enough. 
  • Just two years after resigning from his position in Boston, which the Church called "an important step in the healing process",[4] Pope John Paul IIappointed Law as Archpriest of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome in 2004. He resigned from this position upon reaching the age of 80 in November 2011.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archpriest

it appears to me to be a largely ceremonial or honorary position. 
    Because that is exact what this asshat deserves after sitting by and doing nothing for decades. ::eyeroll::
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    @banana468 , I'm likely to rent it soon to watch.  I've read several Catholic reviews of it & they've all been positive.  One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again.

It doesn't  seem like the Catholic church has learned anything. These stories of abuse are so common now (worldwide) that many are not deemed news worthy.

Spotlight focuses on Cardinal Law and what he knew about the sexual abuse. The Boston Globe was able to prove 90+ members of the Catholic Church abused children. And how did the church respond? The Pope promoted Law an Archpriest in Rome.

Sorry but I don't feel bad that the Catholic Churches reputation was trashed. And I don't think they deserve to be patted on the head for any tiny and insignificant steps they have been forced to take.

I think its really interesting that you are expressing opinions on a movie you haven't even seen yet.

ETA: words

Yes, all of this!

The movie is really really good. I'm glad it won best picture. I did see the Revenant and The big Short, (and the Martian and maybe a few others, but Spotlight was the best of the 3 that had a chance at winning best picture in my opinion. 

If some of the people commenting had seen the movie, you would know that some of the reporters were conflicted at first because they too grew up Catholic (it is Boston after all).

The acting is amazing (Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams especially) and the story is really interesting even if you know how it ended. 

I don't understand how you can be upset/conflicted about a movie that is based on a true story (though I'm sure it took some creative license). This really happened, maybe be upset about that fact, not the fact that someone made a movie about it.

• I'm watching it right now, actually.   I'm not upset that it was made;  it's just hard watching a story about something painful thar happened to your family.   It would be similarly hard to watch a movie about my alcoholic uncle. 
  • I'm watching it right now, actually.   I'm not upset that it was made;  it's just hard watching a story about something painful thar happened to your family.   It would be similarly hard to watch a movie about my alcoholic uncle. 

Well imagine how hard it much be for the victims to watch.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2016
    KatWAG said:
    I'm watching it right now, actually.   I'm not upset that it was made;  it's just hard watching a story about something painful thar happened to your family.   It would be similarly hard to watch a movie about my alcoholic uncle. 

Well imagine how hard it much be for the victims to watch.
    I can absolutely imagine.  As someone who has experienced post traumatic stress and who still sees a therapist for it, there's no way I could watch this if I was an abuse victim. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards