Wedding Party

Non-Traditional Bridesmaids

I would like your opinion on this letter I will be sending to my friends who are not "bridesmaids" per say but will be an important part of the wedding. Only my sisters will stand at the altar with me and I want to make sure that is clear, however I also want it known that I want my friends to participate in my Wedding, just not as bridesmaids without hurting their feelings.

SAMPLE:

My Dear Friend, Anne:

It is with great pleasure that I cordially invite you to be a Loyal Lady on my Wedding Day, and throughout the many celebrations of my marriage before and afterwards.

After careful consideration, I, and my Fiancé, John, have decided not to have a traditionally exclusive Bridal Party and instead would be ecstatic include all of our dearest friends in the festivities. I would personally like to ask you if you would be so kind as to honour my wedding day with your presence as one of my Loyal Ladies.

As a Loyal Lady, you are encouraged, but not required to:

Attend showers and bachelorette parties

Get ready with me on my wedding day

Participate in formal wedding pictures

Match your dress to our wedding colours

Offer assistance with the wedding

Sit in the front row with the family

As you have helped to shape me into who I am today, I cannot imagine making these memories without you. It would give me the greatest pleasure on my Wedding Day to know that I have your support, strength and love from beginning to beyond.

Without further adieu,

Will you help me say “I DO” ?

Yours Truly,

C

Thoughts?

Re: Non-Traditional Bridesmaids

• edited March 2016
    I can see that you ladies are, as colloquially put, "internet trolls" and I will not accept negative feedback unless it is delivered in a constructive manner with appropriate suggestions. 
  • To be perfectly clear, I will not have bridesmaids. 
    This changes nothing.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I can see that you ladies are, as colloquially put, "internet trolls" and I will not accept negative feedback unless it is delivered in a constructive manner with appropriate suggestions. 
    Then what are your sisters doing standing at the altar? 

• Maids of Honour
  • Maids of Honour
    Maids of Honor and bridesmaids are pretty much the same thing.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thank you for your feedback, would you suggest writing each friend a personalized letter explaining what I am doing and why? It's not my prerogative to have my friends second tier. I want them to feel like they can be included in the wedding with out going out of their way to make time for me and spend money. I know that some of my friends would want to participate and would like to dress in similar colours so that they do not stand out in pictures. I am trying to word this as politely as possible so that they do not feel obligated to participate, but understand that they are important people in my life that I would like to share my wedding and wedding activities with. 
  • edited March 2016
  • Thank you for your feedback, would you suggest writing each friend a personalized letter explaining what I am doing and why? It's not my prerogative to have my friends second tier. I want them to feel like they can be included in the wedding with out going out of their way to make time for me and spend money. I know that some of my friends would want to participate and would like to dress in similar colours so that they do not stand out in pictures. I am trying to word this as politely as possible so that they do not feel obligated to participate, but understand that they are important people in my life that I would like to share my wedding and wedding activities with. 

• If you want to include your friends in wedding activities, just invite them to be involved. Make sure they're on the guest list for any showers or parties and invite them to join you with dress shopping or whatever. Don't call them Loyal Ladies or send them some letter. You're overthinking this. 
  • OP, I get that you want to include your friends in your wedding. Unfortunately, what you are proposing is coming off as tacky and rude. Being a bridesmaid/maid of honour/'Loyal Lady' can actually be a lot of time, effort and money. I would be more honoured to know that I could sit back and enjoy the festivities. I think anyone would recognize that not everyone can be in your wedding party and limiting it to family only makes perfect sense. I would encourage you not to send any letter and instead, just make sure that they get invited to all the fun stuff. If one of your friends asks about your colours and would like to match, great, but I would discourage against asking them to coordinate. The best pictures from weddings are the ones where everyone looks happy. Happy people choose the clothing that makes them feel comfortable. Also, those that stand up with us are never required to help with anything. Wedding party members just have to show up, wear the pre-determined attire and smile for a FEW pictures. That is all. Many brides are lucky that wedding party members offer help or plan parties for them ... but it should never be expected.

I really hope you will stay around and lurk. There is lots of great information to be found on these boards. Sometimes, feedback can be harsh. It is always great feedback that many of us would not get if we posed the same question to our family and friends. 
  • I couldn't get passed the first sentence. I would be super offended to receive a letter like this.

OP, I know the responses seem harsh and you want to include your friends, but please don't do this. It's pretty rude to tell people they weren't chosen for something. Do as PPs said and just invite them to things. I promise they will be happier if you do that then this letter. 

Another option would be to get them corsages to honor them. 
    I wouldn't write a letter because you're starting off by telling them what they aren't. I couldn't get past the first sentence, tbh.  

And you can let them know before hand that you'd like for them to join you for a formal photo as well as to have them sit up front.   If they ask you about coordinating colors, you can say "my bridesmaids are wearing x.  Please don't feel like you need to match;  what matters is that you're there. 

I know your heart is in the right place;  I think the delivery needs work. 
    ^ This. I have some very dear friends who are not in my bridal party. They will of course be welcome to be in photos, hang out with me before the wedding, etc. I will be so, so happy to have them there, and have let them know this when I call and talk to them. Ditto to what @holyguacamole79 said about colors, too. If, during conversation, it comes up, let them know. But otherwise, leave it be -- if you specifically tell them the colors "in case you want to coordinate", that might come off the wrong way like you expect them to, even if you don't. If they care, they'll ask. Otherwise let it be. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    I would not suggest the letter explaining what you are doing and why. It just makes you look like you feel guilty for not having them up there with you. Your choice to have just your sisters is a fine one; own it and your friends will understand without the explanation.

The problem with the letter you have written is that, though you may not intend it, it comes off as a list of things you'd like them to do for you. They're going to "take the hint" and feel obligated to do those things. If they want to offer a shower or bachelorette, they'll come up with those ideas on their own and you'll know they genuinely want to do that for you. Invite them to the activities you'd like to have them involved in. As was said before, no need to make a production out of it.
  • Since you want a long explanation OP, it's because that letter is flat out rude and tacky no matter how you phrase it.  "I want you to be LIKE a bridesmaid, and spend a ton of your own hard earned money, take time away from work to plan/attend events, but really, I'm just not feeling having you as an actual bridesmaid..." regardless of how you phrase it, regardless of if you're only having sisters as MOH's, that's void the second you send that.  You're asking them to be Free labor for your wedding, and that's also not o.k. even if you were asking BM's to do those things.  "It's not you, it's us, really"  through any means of communication NEVER go over well (those of us who've been here forever can cite many examples of the aftermath of such things - think of it as a friendship ending move even if you don't intend it that way)... 

How you honor your friends - Surprise them with a bout/corsage/nosegay the day-of...  Give them a spot in reserved seating for VIP's..  Have them as actual bridesmaids/groomsmen... 

• Thank you all for your feedback, I have decided to let each know individually of how much I would like their presence to be heard at every event. As well, I feel it may be best to simply include a "dress code" for all guests in the invitation itself. I believe that would make the whole ordeal a lot more smooth. I will create some sort of facebook group so the ladies can begin to meet each other and decide if they in fact want to coordinate with themselves, or my sisters. They will be in many of my photos as if they were brides maids, so if they want to act as such, they may. I will be happy just knowing all the people I love are under one roof. 
  • Thank you all for your feedback, I have decided to let each know individually of how much I would like their presence to be heard at every event. As well, I feel it may be best to simply include a "dress code" for all guests in the invitation itself. I believe that would make the whole ordeal a lot more smooth. I will create some sort of facebook group so the ladies can begin to meet each other and decide if they in fact want to coordinate with themselves, or my sisters. They will be in many of my photos as if they were brides maids, so if they want to act as such, they may. I will be happy just knowing all the people I love are under one roof. 

What ordeal? There is no ordeal involved in adults dressing themselves in clothes of their choosing. 

Please don't pressure them to attend all of your events. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards