Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

When should photographer arrive?

Hi all, 

I'm trying to sort out how many hours I'll need my photographer for, but a key part of that is figuring out the start time! 

I'm getting ready at the venue, so there's no need to build in travel time or anything. I'll be there from 10:30am with my family/wedding party (FMIL is getting her hair and makeup done at that time) but won't be doing anything other than hanging around and snacking until noon when I'm scheduled to start hair. I'll be done with hair and makeup by 2pm, then get dressed and do our first look at 2:30pm. 

With that information, what time would you have the photographer arrive? It seems crazy to ask for photos from 10:30am the day of when our ceremony doesn't start until 4:30pm! But do people normally get pictures of other people doing hair and makeup? 

Re: When should photographer arrive?

• I've seen weddings where the photographer is around from dawn to dusk and others where it is limited to a few getting ready shots and then up to the first dance/cake cutting. I think you need to figure out shots that are important to you. If there are several important shots to get from getting ready and you would prefer a professional as opposed to a few shot by those getting ready with you, then ask for the photographer to show up when you start to get ready. I probably wouldn't ask the photographer to show up before you start the hair and makeup.
  • I don't think professional getting-ready photos are necessary. You're not going to blow up & frame a photo of you getting your hair done, right?  It might be nice to have some memories of that time, but snapping a few pics on your phone or personal camera is probably sufficient. 

But, if it's in the budget, and you want the whole day documented from start to finish, then have the photographer arrive when hair/makeup starts! If not, maybe 30 minutes before your first look would be sufficient so the photog. can get a couple shots of you and your FH putting on final outfit touches, jewelry, tie, etc. before first-look and formal portraits. 

In the end, it's a personal preference & budget-related decision. 
    --

• My daughter had a 3:00 PM ceremony.  They needed to be at the church (a 10 minute drive) by 2:15-2:30.  The photographer wanted all the BM's and the bride's family fully ready by 12:30.  He took all the family photos, multiple photos of the bride and her BM's, and photos of the bride.  If you plan on taking photos such as these, then you will need to build some time in for them.
  • This is really helpful, thank you all! I definitely want a few pictures of, for example, my mom and FMIL helping me into my dress, but thinking about it I probably don't have any use for pictures of someone putting makeup on me... it sounds like having a photographer come as I'm finishing up with hair and makeup makes the most sense.
  • We just got married this weekend and had our first look at 3:30 PM, our photographers arrived at 1 PM. I would recommend having them arrive at 12 PM or 12:30 PM based on your timeline. That will give them time to shoot the details of your dress, jewelry, etc. before you get into them and some getting ready shots too. Since you're getting ready at your venue, that will also give them time to scope out the location so they can adjust their equipment!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We had our photographer arrive an hour before the ceremony, where we were getting ready, so that we could take a few photos of the WP together.

I really didn't care for photos of myself getting ready, so that was easy.

I think we had our photographer for 6 hours. This got us those group shots before the ceremony, ceremony, WP/family/B&G photos during cocktail hour, then the photog left just as the dance music started, which got us photos of the toasts during dinner, some decor photos, and our first dance. I also didn't care for professional photos of people dancing, or things like the tosses.
  • For me, taking photos while getting our hair down at the salon was something I didn't want to pay the additional time for. It would have added 3 hours to the amount of time I needed her for.  To help with my budget the photographer showed up right before we got dressed so that she could take some cool photos of our dresses before we put them on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards