Rhode Island
Options

Two night minimum in Newport for hotels

edited March 2016 in Rhode Island
Hey all -

Logistics question - We are having our wedding this summer in Portsmouth. We will have 200 people and about half are from Boston and half from Texas. The half from Texas will obviously just stay at a room block we get with no frills. The wedding party from Boston will do the same because of the rehearsal dinner. We only plan to have 150 people at the rehearsal dinner, so about 50 from Boston will not have many options. Here is what we are thinking -

1) Beg the hotel with room blocks where we are having brunch to allocate 10 rooms for a one-night min? Will anyone even entertain this?

2) AirBnBs?

3) People will drive back that night to Boston (about 1 hour 15 mins from the suburb they all live). We are worried they will all leave early and not drink or have fun.

Any thoughts on the above or anyone come up with a creative solution to the above?

Thanks!

Re: Two night minimum in Newport for hotels

• Options
    Hey all -

Logistics question - We are having our wedding this summer in Portsmouth. We will have 200 people and about half are from Boston and half from Texas. The half from Texas will obviously just stay at a room block we get with no frills. The wedding party from Boston will do the same because of the rehearsal dinner. We only plan to have 150 people at the rehearsal dinner, so about 50 from Boston will not have many options. Here is what we are thinking -

1) Beg the hotel with room blocks where we are having brunch to allocate 10 rooms for a one-night min? Will anyone even entertain this?

2) AirBnBs?

3) People will drive back that night to Boston (about 1 hour 15 mins from the suburb they all live). We are worried they will all leave early and not drink or have fun.

Any thoughts on the above or anyone come up with a creative solution to the above?

Thanks!
    Firstly-why are you having 150 people at your rehearsal dinner? That seems like an outrageous amount, especially if your wedding is 200 people.  RD's are usually bridal party members + SO's, immediate family and anyone involved in your ceremony.  Trim your RD guest list.

As someone who lives in Boston, if I were not part of your bridal party, I'd be skipping the RD so I wouldn't have to spend the money for a 2 night hotel stay. Actually, I'd prob skip even if I WAS in your bridal party (they have no obligation to be at the RD.  As long as they show up on your wedding day in the agreed upon attire then they are fulfilling their "duty." No way in hell I'd go back home for the night, only to come back the next day.
    Who cares if they leave early and don't drink? People are adults and will make their own decision about where to stay and their travel.
    Most hotels won't bend on their 2 night minimum.  Sounds like something you should've thought about before booking your wedding, if it makes it more difficult for your guests to attend, but that ship has sailed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards