Chit Chat

Who or what are you side-eyeing?

Re: Who or what are you side-eyeing?

• People who post their baby's face as their profile pic. No, that's not you. If you want a photo with your kid or someone else, fine, but I do not get posting an ultrasound or your new baby as the only person in the pic. Is there a parent in here who can make me understand why parents do this? It makes zero sense. 
    THIS. I wonder if these people pause for one second to consider the implications of making someone else your profile pic... is your entire identity being a mom? You have a personality and a life beyond your child (or you should...) so a picture of them alone (no matter how cute they are, how important they are to you, whatever) should not be your face to the world.

SITB

The bolded really grates on my nerves. I want to know my friends as my friends, not have "momdom" shoved down my throat. I think it just sticks out like a sore thumb to me since my life lacks the child component, but I hope my friends that do this get their identity back one day.

• People who post their baby's face as their profile pic. No, that's not you. If you want a photo with your kid or someone else, fine, but I do not get posting an ultrasound or your new baby as the only person in the pic. Is there a parent in here who can make me understand why parents do this? It makes zero sense. 
    THIS. I wonder if these people pause for one second to consider the implications of making someone else your profile pic... is your entire identity being a mom? You have a personality and a life beyond your child (or you should...) so a picture of them alone (no matter how cute they are, how important they are to you, whatever) should not be your face to the world.
    A thousand times yes. A picture with your kids makes sense to me. A picture of your kids is AW at best and says some fascinating things about your self identity at worst.
    My mom changed her profile pic for a bit to be her first grand baby. I mean, I get that you're excited and you're proud that you're a new mom or a new grandma, but why not the cute pic of both of you? You do understand that you can showcase that cute photo of your new baby or new grand baby on FB without it being a profile pic, right?
    A thousand times yes. A picture with your kids makes sense to me. A picture of your kids is AW at best and says some fascinating things about your self identity at worst.
    Idk. I very rarely have a picture of myself as my profile picture. It is my dog a lot of the time. I don't need randos on the internet knowing what I look like. I don't think it is that so deep that my entire identity is my dog, I just don't like putting pictures of myself on the internet if I can avoid it.
    Idk. I very rarely have a picture of myself as my profile picture. It is my dog a lot of the time. I don't need randos on the internet knowing what I look like. I don't think it is that so deep that my entire identity is my dog, I just don't like putting pictures of myself on the internet if I can avoid it.
    Dog (or sunset, or inanimate object) feels different to me than children. Because "I don't need randos on the internet knowing what I look like" makes total sense to me, and thus the dog pic makes sense. But that same logic wouldn't extend to kids. Because if you don't want randos knowing what you look like, logic follows that you wouldn't want randos knowing what your kid looks like.

I understand the purpose of not having yourself as your profile pic for safety or privacy reasons. I don't understand the purpose of making your kids your profile pic if it's not for the reasons I mentioned.

Yeah I see this as different for the reason @crowsgirl15 mentioned- it's pretty bad if your reason for not having a pic of yourself is protecting your privacy but you're okay with having a pic of your kid!

I'll be honest though, it (I'm willing to admit, probably irrationally/unfairly) annoys me when people do the pet pic/sunset pic/object pic for their profile. It just seems incongruous with the whole idea of social media in general- why have a presence on those sites at all if you're THAT concerned with random strangers knowing things about you? The people I'm friends with on FB are my friends because I actually want to see their pictures and know about their lives, so I feel like it's kind of gaming the system to get to lurk on everyone else but withhold that information for yourself :P.
    Yeah I see this as different for the reason @crowsgirl15 mentioned- it's pretty bad if your reason for not having a pic of yourself is protecting your privacy but you're okay with having a pic of your kid!

I'll be honest though, it (I'm willing to admit, probably irrationally/unfairly) annoys me when people do the pet pic/sunset pic/object pic for their profile. It just seems incongruous with the whole idea of social media in general- why have a presence on those sites at all if you're THAT concerned with random strangers knowing things about you? The people I'm friends with on FB are my friends because I actually want to see their pictures and know about their lives, so I feel like it's kind of gaming the system to get to lurk on everyone else but withhold that information for yourself :P.

Stuck in a box. 

I don't have kids but I assume I will continue with my feeling and not post pictures of them excessively nor would I use them as a profile pic. I just thought the comments of people thinking children were their identity was a stretch. I generally think "i like this picture a lot. I will use it for a profile pic." It's not that deep.

To the bolded. I have all of my privacy settings to friends only. Not friends of friends, not public; friends only. Your profile pic is still public, available to the entire internet. It's true you wouldn't have to search too hard to find a picture of me but I don't just have it sitting there.
    Dog (or sunset, or inanimate object) feels different to me than children. Because "I don't need randos on the internet knowing what I look like" makes total sense to me, and thus the dog pic makes sense. But that same logic wouldn't extend to kids. Because if you don't want randos knowing what you look like, logic follows that you wouldn't want randos knowing what your kid looks like.

I understand the purpose of not having yourself as your profile pic for safety or privacy reasons. I don't understand the purpose of making your kids your profile pic if it's not for the reasons I mentioned.
    Ditto the bolded. I meant to say in my original post that people choosing to use a scenery pic or something non-human as their profile pic is different and understandable, but I just forgot to add it. 
  • My mom. We're sharing a hotel room and I've been up since 3 and she's snoring so damn loud!  
  • My mom. We're sharing a hotel room and I've been up since 3 and she's snoring so damn loud!  
    I feel for you! I have shared a hotel room with my mom once and that was the last time. 

Stuck in a box. 

I don't have kids but I assume I will continue with my feeling and not post pictures of them excessively nor would I use them as a profile pic. I just thought the comments of people thinking children were their identity was a stretch. I generally think "i like this picture a lot. I will use it for a profile pic." It's not that deep.

To the bolded. I have all of my privacy settings to friends only. Not friends of friends, not public; friends only. Your profile pic is still public, available to the entire internet. It's true you wouldn't have to search too hard to find a picture of me but I don't just have it sitting there.
    Yeah I get that, that makes sense. I think the kid thing is more egregious because (in my experience) it really does tend to be people who let their personality be subsumed by their kids. Suddenly nothing they do on social media- general pics they post, status updates, articles they share etc.- is about anything but kids and parenting, and like one PP said it just becomes a bummer that you realize you no longer get updates about the person you were friends with but instead get a ton of information about how little Suzy just wouldn't go down for a nap today :/.
    I've been a snorer for quite a few years.  I just learned that I have to get a Cpap machine for sleeping.  Has your Mom been tested?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    My mom. We're sharing a hotel room and I've been up since 3 and she's snoring so damn loud!  
    I've been a snorer for quite a few years.  I just learned that I have to get a Cpap machine for sleeping.  Has your Mom been tested?
    Yes a couple weeks ago.  I haven't heard the results yet. The other problem is that she's Deaf and has no idea when she makes noise; which I remembered last week but didn't think of when it came to last minute hotel reservations. That's okay, I can sleep in peace tonight. 
    My FI currently has our dog as his profile picture. And it's definitely not a flattering one. hahahaha.

• Also, I am side eyeing this mom at the daycare I go to. She parks in handicapped every day to drop her kids off (she does not have a sticker or card). I wouldn't be so judgy if she had infant twins or something and she was managing 2 car seats and all their crap, but her kids are like 6 and 8. They can walk. And so can she.
    *********************************************************************************

That's not the only reason people do it, though. I have a sunset photo as my cover picture and my kid as my profile picture (OMG GASP!). I don't do it because sunsets and my kid are my life. And I don't do it because I don't want people to know what I look like. I do it because I like those things. 

I think it's looking WAY too deep into FB profile pics to think that someone posts a profile pic because whatever the image is of "is their whole life" or if it's not their face it must be because they want their resemblance kept a secret.

Now, I see what you're saying about the parents who over-post about their kids (and post about literally nothing else). But that's different.

I totally agree with this. My FB profile picture is of me at a Bears game. Does that mean being a Bears fan is my entire identity? A previous picture is of me and my mom - does that mean I am only a daughter and nothing else matters to me? Going pretty deep there.

I'm side-eyeing whoever is drinking on the job at ESPN radio because they are currently playing at least two conversations at the same time.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Spinning off the pictures of kids on FB conversation- I know multiple moms on FB who post pictures of their kids all the time (which honestly I don't mind at all- I like seeing cute kids!) but I swear to god in 90% of the pictures the kids have food on their faces. I don't understand why you wouldn't just wipe that off real quick if you want to take a picture... are kids with food-covered faces something that magically becomes endearing and cute once you are a mom? Because honestly as someone with no kids it grosses me out, haha. 
  • banana468 said:
    Spinning off the pictures of kids on FB conversation- I know multiple moms on FB who post pictures of their kids all the time (which honestly I don't mind at all- I like seeing cute kids!) but I swear to god in 90% of the pictures the kids have food on their faces. I don't understand why you wouldn't just wipe that off real quick if you want to take a picture... are kids with food-covered faces something that magically becomes endearing and cute once you are a mom? Because honestly as someone with no kids it grosses me out, haha. 

Of all the things that's not a big deal it's a little food on the face.   Sometimes it is endearing and sometimes it's just one more thing that isn't worth the wipe when you know that the fist is going to dig into the cup of Goldfish in 5 seconds.  

I'm not one to let the toddler leave the high chair with tomato sauce on his face, but if there's a crust of oatmeal I missed, oh well.   I have to wipe up the yogurt that he just spilled on the floor or attend to another mess.  And now that my 5 yo knows to clean up after herself but may not, again, I have literally chase them down sometimes.   

You pick and choose your battles and never buy white couches. 
    Hahaha that's great advice. But just to be clear- I totally get not always being able to keep your kid's face clean and I'm sure when I have kids they'll be running around with food on their faces plenty of the time! It's the decision to take a picture (or a lot of pictures) in that state that I don't get- the act of putting forth the effort to take a photo and upload it to FB but not the effort to just wipe off the face before you do all that. 
  • banana468 said:
    Spinning off the pictures of kids on FB conversation- I know multiple moms on FB who post pictures of their kids all the time (which honestly I don't mind at all- I like seeing cute kids!) but I swear to god in 90% of the pictures the kids have food on their faces. I don't understand why you wouldn't just wipe that off real quick if you want to take a picture... are kids with food-covered faces something that magically becomes endearing and cute once you are a mom? Because honestly as someone with no kids it grosses me out, haha. 
    I posted this one yesterday because it's my baby enjoying my wedding cake but I usually wouldn't. 
    I hate it when parents post pics of their kids in nothing but a diaper. I have one friend who I am constantly questioning if her children own any clothing. Then, she answers that by posting one of them wearing a shirt that reads "my mom is the shit."  I also side eye the shit out of that!
    I absolutely side eye profanity or vulgar phrases on kids' clothing.   
    Yesssssss. Clearly some people think this is hilarious. It is very not.

• crowsgirl15 said: 
    She got mad at me when she was asking for advice on a font for the shirts (her older son has one also) and I told her I thought it was tacky. She also made some that say "For (picture of a fox) sake." I don't think it's cute either.
  • crowsgirl15 said: 
    She got mad at me when she was asking for advice on a font for the shirts (her older son has one also) and I told her I thought it was tacky. She also made some that say "For (picture of a fox) sake." I don't think it's cute either.
    Oh gosh that is awful! Some people...
  • I don't side eye the kid pictures at all.  I more side-eye married couples who have a single facebook page.  Or a parent to literally live blogs their life with the kid: Oh Johnny just blew out his diaper.  Johnny is down for a nap - time for mom's nap too, etc., etc.  Those people quickly get put on hide.

My friend and his H adopted a newborn a few months ago.  They announced it on facebook, but there was not one picture or even name mentioned.  They were too scared that the mom would back out of the adoption to post even the baby's name.  He is now legally adopted as of a few weeks ago.  They are posting pictures like crazy of that baby and both have a picture of him as their profile pictures.  They post pictures because they can finally proudly show off their baby.  I just think the same thing of other parents, they are proud to show off their kids.  I don't think their life revolves around the kids, unless I know them personally and know first hand.

• Spinning off the pictures of kids on FB conversation- I know multiple moms on FB who post pictures of their kids all the time (which honestly I don't mind at all- I like seeing cute kids!) but I swear to god in 90% of the pictures the kids have food on their faces. I don't understand why you wouldn't just wipe that off real quick if you want to take a picture... are kids with food-covered faces something that magically becomes endearing and cute once you are a mom? Because honestly as someone with no kids it grosses me out, haha. 
    I don't think it's necessarily something that's endearing or cute...it's just a reality. My kid has either food or milk or dirt or sand or dog drool or something on him about 90% of the time. I mean, I COULD wipe it off real quick to take a picture, but in the same way I don't primp myself, let my hair down, or take time to pose/put my hand on my hip so my arm looks skinnier before I take a picture, I don't do it with my kid. Sorrynotsorry on that one. 

I'm honestly a little relieved when parents post "real" pictures. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't side eye the kid pictures at all.  I more side-eye married couples who have a single facebook page.  Or a parent to literally live blogs their life with the kid: Oh Johnny just blew out his diaper.  Johnny is down for a nap - time for mom's nap too, etc., etc.  Those people quickly get put on hide.

My friend and his H adopted a newborn a few months ago.  They announced it on facebook, but there was not one picture or even name mentioned.  They were too scared that the mom would back out of the adoption to post even the baby's name.  He is now legally adopted as of a few weeks ago.  They are posting pictures like crazy of that baby and both have a picture of him as their profile pictures.  They post pictures because they can finally proudly show off their baby.  I just think the same thing of other parents, they are proud to show off their kids.  I don't think their life revolves around the kids, unless I know them personally and know first hand.

Yes! I feel bad for the kids of most mommy bloggers. What are they going to think in 15 years? Are they going to be happy about what is written about them and what photos were taken?

I have a dear friend, love her to death, but she posted a photo of her cringing holding her three month old with poop splattered all over him and down his leg because he had a blow out. Why? Just why? Rule for parents: before taking or sharing a photo, ask yourself this question, would I want this photo out in the universe if that was me? If the answer is no, DON'T POST THE PHOTO! 

I have already decided, and I don't even have kids yet, that I'm not taking any photos of my kid naked. My mom never took any photos of me and my sibs nude. No bath photos except one when we were in swimsuits all in the tub together. There were a few photos taken of my mom naked in the tub when she was young (in the days of film, thank goodness!) and she remembers the next door neighbor over once looking through albums and he seemed to take an extra long time looking at the particular pages with those photos. Creepy! My mom was embarrassed. And it's so much worse nowadays with social media. 

There's my other side eye. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards