Chit Chat

Who or what are you side-eyeing?

Re: Who or what are you side-eyeing?

• Side-eyeing a co-worker who is WAH today, and delegated every.single.responsibility assigned to her to our boss.  Aren't you actually supposed to, I don't know, work on you WAH days?  If that's not the case, I really should be doing more WAH.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Ugh. I'm side-eyeing a coworker so hard right now. Yesterday my lead gave her a schedule we worked up for my work on the project. We even had a meeting about it.

Today I get an IM from her asking if I think the dates are accurate.
    1.) My lead made the schedule, so it's sort of something I have to go with
    2.) I was in the meeting where we discussed this schedule
    3.) My lead worked backwards on the schedule from dates our project manager set. So even if I thought he was wrong, I would be creating problems for the whole project by not making those dates.

I just don't understand bothering me to double check this stuff.
  • I still getting wedding solicitation emails and a new one just came from a local real estate agent that says "register for a downpayment on your dream house" with a link to an article about homebuying registries. Ugh.  Needless to say she got an email box full from me.
  • My coworker who just told me her mom is throwing her a bridal shower, "but we're not asking for gifts or anything". Um, isn't that the point of a shower? Why not call it a bridal tea or something? Weird. 
  • My coworker who just told me her mom is throwing her a bridal shower, "but we're not asking for gifts or anything". Um, isn't that the point of a shower? Why not call it a bridal tea or something? Weird. 
    What does she think will happen at this gift free shower??

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2016
    Yesterday, I wanted to make dinner before a thing we were going to, so I ran to the store really quick to grab a pre-made chicken and a couple things so I could make soup over lunch. All the lines are full, and I had just a small basket of stuff, so I go to the shorter express line. 

First off, the lady in front of me had a cart of stuff, not nine items or fewer. Then she has to write in her senior discount. Then she has to pull out her coupons. Now I don't mind if you use a couple coupons in the express line because they're quick, but she had these wonky rain check or something ones where he checker had to manually punch in the numbers. 

Then, she can't find her credit card. She spends several minutes rummaging through her purse and pulling out a stack of cards to try to find her credit card. She can't find it. So then the checker has to suspend her order (requiring extra authorization), move her cart out of the way, give her the receipt and tell her to go to customer service when she comes back with a cc.

And she's a senior, she probably has all day to shop while the rest of us are rushing during our lunch hour. 

I don't believe in karma, but on days like yesterday, I sincerely wish I did so I could look forward to karma giving her a smack. 
    What does she think will happen at this gift free shower??
    I asked her about that, and she said they're going to just hang out or something? She said they like wine so are hoping if people bring anything they'll bring a bottle. She's definitely someone who doesn't care about wedding traditions and is a little hazy on etiquette.
  • edited April 2016
    I'm side-eyeing the people in one of the FB wedding resale groups I'm in. One of them actually said, "Etiquette schmettiquette." Really mature. Not.
  • Two things this week.1) A couple at church is getting married and invited the entire congregation to the ceremony via a bulletin announcement. They listed their registry information then reminded everyone that the reception is by invitation only.2) Already posted this in another thread but a friend is throwing her own bridal shower after having hosted her own baby shower!
  • Side eyeing every single person my team because they always roll in to work 10-15 minutes late. Every day. We're lucky enough to not have to come in until 8:30 but our boss has threatened in the past that if we don't get here by 8:30 on a consistent basis, that management will make us start coming in at 8. 
  • On Tuesday night, a Blackhawks player used a homophobic slur. Yesterday he was suspended one game for it.

I side eye Shaw for saying that. And I side eye waaaay too many fans who think it's not a big deal. On the radio and on Twitter, there are SO MANY people saying "oh it's just a word, NBD" or "he was mad, NBD".

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • On Tuesday night, a Blackhawks player used a homophobic slur. Yesterday he was suspended one game for it.

I side eye Shaw for saying that. And I side eye waaaay too many fans who think it's not a big deal. On the radio and on Twitter, there are SO MANY people saying "oh it's just a word, NBD" or "he was mad, NBD".

If he said it in the heat of the moment, you know he says it on the regular. It's been a long time, thank God, but I used to call out an old high school friend of mine because he'd post things (often sports related) and say things like, "That's so gay." And I'd be all, "Why is it gay?" and he'd be all, "Oh it's just a joke," and I'd say, "Well, no, it's not."  It's been a really long time since I've seen him call things "gay" so maybe he finally learned. Shaw, apparently, still hasn't learned. 

• banana468 said:
    Can I say I'm totes happy that ESPN canned Curt Schilling for being an asshole? 
    Me too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Side eyeing my mum - she has been invited to my cousins wedding and is requesting a plus one. She isn't in a relationship or seeing anyone. She just wants to bring my sister (who wasn't invited, no cousins are) to share the driving and because she thinks "she should be invited anyway". She also offered to "get an invitation for SO and I since family should always be invited". 

She is more than capable of driving by herself (~10 hours) as she did it at the start of the year. For that occasion SO, mum and I travelled up north for Xmas (together because she didn't want to travel by herself).

While we were away SOs grandmother passed away and the funeral was planned for the day we were going to drive back. Mum didn't want to hang around an extra day (for a FUNERAL!)  and was acting pissy. We ended up just offering to lend her our car so she could drive home and she accepted. Luckily our flatmate at the time was in SOs home town so we hitched a ride with him. 
    This was the same trip my mother met SOs parents for the first time. Good first impression! 

*sorry about the rant....  
  • I'm side-eyeing the universe for taking another musical genius. 

Also, side-eyeing people complaining they can't find Prince videos on the Internet. Seriously if you were a fan you'd know that you can't get his music free on the internet and why. I get judgy when I'm sad. 
  • I'm side-eyeing a jackass who is a close friend of my parents and is incapable of keeping his mouth shut instead of ranting about how Houston area flood victims have to rebuild and potentially get flooded again instead of "moving away" because it drives up his insurance rates, and how they don't "take positive action" to elect people or do anything about it when it's people like him who vote for (and elect) people to office who refuse to raise taxes or spend taxpayer money to repair infrastructure.  He thinks his rant is "positive" and that flood victims want to hear that bullshit while they're cleaning up - whereas he lives in an area that didn't suffer as much and crows about it.  Bastard.

Unlike him, I volunteered for cleanup assistance - and found myself helping a family who had literally just returned the day before the flood to their house that had been flooded in the Memorial Day flooding last year (whom I helped at that time too).  So I'm also side-eyeing Mother Nature at the moment.

• Side eyeing my mum - she has been invited to my cousins wedding and is requesting a plus one. She isn't in a relationship or seeing anyone. She just wants to bring my sister (who wasn't invited, no cousins are) to share the driving and because she thinks "she should be invited anyway". She also offered to "get an invitation for SO and I since family should always be invited". 

She is more than capable of driving by herself (~10 hours) as she did it at the start of the year. For that occasion SO, mum and I travelled up north for Xmas (together because she didn't want to travel by herself).

While we were away SOs grandmother passed away and the funeral was planned for the day we were going to drive back. Mum didn't want to hang around an extra day (for a FUNERAL!)  and was acting pissy. We ended up just offering to lend her our car so she could drive home and she accepted. Luckily our flatmate at the time was in SOs home town so we hitched a ride with him. 
    This was the same trip my mother met SOs parents for the first time. Good first impression! 

*sorry about the rant....  
    Rant away! I'm sorry about your SO's grandmother, and I'm also sorry that your mother is being a jerk.
  • I'm side eyeing this girl from a fb wedding resale group. She posted these signs she's making and selling (our state with a heart over a city) and I know my mom would like it for their FL place so I ordered one. We agreed to meet today after work. I get there 5 min before meeting time and send a fb message saying I arrived (I never asked for her # since she responded to messages like 30 seconds later each time so figured it was a good way to communicate). 

She doesnt show!!!   I gave it extra time since I knew she was coming from downtown and a storm rolled in but 25 min after meeting time I lef (at first I questioned myself thinking I had the time wrong which is why I stayed longer). 4 hours later still nothing from her but I opted not to just send a bitchy message bc what good would it do me. She prolly doesn't care bc she could sell it to someone else it isn't really custom or anything. 
  • I am side eyeing work.  Just work.  All  eyes go to my work.

Now that I have this management position, apparently that means I get to babysit and interfere all the freaking drama llamas. We have this one guy that has a freaking meltdown every single time I call him into my office. Which, I have to do every day to get a report on the night before. Ugh.

Then, I have this girl who doesn't seem to understand that when she is scheduled to come in at 12:00, that does not mean 12:10, and why that is a problem. I got on her case last week, as I worked until midnight, and she was my relief, and she was late. She replied with "Its only a couple minutes. Its no big deal." Like. No. Mother licker, I have to close out our day so I can run these freaking reports, and I cannot do that until you are on the clock. Fucking show up to work. At the time I schedule you. And to make it even more fun, she was a no call no show for four days. But due to policy, I can't terminate her for that, as she had a day off in the middle, and they have to be consistant.

I am also side eyeing my friend (Same one from my last side eye), as we both applied for my current job at the same and they finally called her for an interview as a clerk. Well, she used me as a reference six months ago, took the job and then called ten minutes before her first shift and stated she no longer wanted the job. Way to go.

Ugh.

• I'm side-eyeing two coworkers.

One is up here in our department at least twice a month and always acts like it's the first time. At least this time she didn't expect me to do all her work for her.

The other is good at her job, but loud! I want to tell her that her amps don't need to go to 11.
  • Thank God for this thread. I'm side-eyeing my FB friend who basically had a PPD for her engagement party (not the right word for it, but I can't figure out what the right word would be).

She wore a long, white, sparkly, fit and flare dress, they held it in a banquet hall, they had toasts, they had a first dance, they cut a cake, they had a photo booth...there is nothing about this party that doesn't look like a wedding. They also had a crazy intricate sweetheart table...and asked her bridesmaids in front of a crowd of people (9 bridesmaids).

I don't question an engagement party...but if THAT is the engagement party, what's the wedding going to be like?!?!
    Oh man, you will have to report back on the actual wedding!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank God for this thread. I'm side-eyeing my FB friend who basically had a PPD for her engagement party (not the right word for it, but I can't figure out what the right word would be).

She wore a long, white, sparkly, fit and flare dress, they held it in a banquet hall, they had toasts, they had a first dance, they cut a cake, they had a photo booth...there is nothing about this party that doesn't look like a wedding. They also had a crazy intricate sweetheart table...and asked her bridesmaids in front of a crowd of people (9 bridesmaids).

I don't question an engagement party...but if THAT is the engagement party, what's the wedding going to be like?!?!
    Oh man, you will have to report back on the actual wedding!
    Oh yes, please. I'm sure it will quite entertaining!

One of my coworkers had an engagement party a bit like that.  It was held at the bride's uncle's house (lives in the country, has a lot of land).  They had 150 guests...rented tables/chairs/white linens...with catering, DJ and dancing.

But they are inviting 300 people to their wedding so, to be fair, it was only half their guests.

Not side-eyeing, though throwing huge events would be a nightmare to me personally, but just wanted to contribute that it is sometimes done.

Though asking BMs in front of a crowd of people is a terrible thing to do.  What if one of them wants to say no?  They basically can't.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Currently side-eyeing an old friend of mine (we're Facebook friends, used to be really good friends but grew apart after high school). She and her husband got married a few years ago - a small wedding (I think about 10 people), but a wedding nonetheless. Pictures went up on FB, it looked like a nice time from what I remember (seriously, this was about 5 years ago).  

Then early last year she dropped her [husband's] last name from her profile and started going by her first and middle names. Then started posting about how it was only X days until her wedding! Then, in the fall, pictures went up of her "wedding." Granted, it was a religious ceremony and the one a few years ago was civil, but still. You're already married. 

THEN a few months later, the gofundme requests started popping up because they want to do Honeymoon Israel but can't afford it and, according to the donation page, "he wants to travel to Israel for the first time with his young bride." You're 30. You're not a young bride. 

She also responded to all the congratulatory posts on her FB page and ignored/deleted the ones that said anything like "I thought you were already married?"

I was thinking this new wedding was to a different guy. Hmmm so she tried to pretend she was unmarried on fb by changing her name and then posting this new wedding. wtf?
  • My cousin. Early March she sent me a wedding e-vite (to my nickname not full name) for her wedding at the end of August. The RSVP date is the 1st of July. Eyeroll. Looking at her website, her wedding is on an island off Massachusetts and the closest airports are 1+ hrs away. Then you have to take a ferry to the island, which only has about three trips to the island per day. 

The site let's us know that they are serving beer and wine only, okay, but if you want something else, you can bring it. Whatever. But there is no place to buy alcohol on the island. You have to get it on main land. Eyeroll for inconvenience. Also, there are only four places to eat on the island.

They have rented out all (2) of the accommodations on the island, so you will have to go through Groom to get a room at one of those place, including paying through them. Eyeroll. Also, you have to stay both Friday and Saturday nights. Eyeroll. There are also room blocks on the main land, but see ferry comments.

None of the above are really etiquette blunders per se, but they are annoying for those who have to travel. Which I assume is their entire guest list. Plus they have a honeyfund.

But to top it off, my FI is not invited. I wasn't originally sure until I read through their website and there is a part that says that only those mentioned on the invite are invited. I had also mentioned to my dad about this and how it was basically the biggest etiquette blunder you can make. I assume that he talked to her mother about this because on Saturday she sent me an email saying she was sorry she didn't give me a plus one on my invite, but she hopes to see me there with my dad and brother.
  • I have a FB/HS friend who did the opposite...kept her maiden name, planned her "wedding" and then when she filed for divorce, admitted they were married already anyways and changed her name to his "for the kids."

I'm side-eyeing all of the people who try to hop onto the wedding cash train.  Gyms and make up people I kind of get, but I just got a call from a Real Estate agent who specializes in newlywed financing.  He got my number from a bridal show.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards