Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Should the groom wear a purple suit jacket?

My wedding colors are purple, white and a hint of gold. My fiance actually wanted to wear a purple suit jacket with the white vest underneath. I think this might look cool, as long as the purple is dark enough so it looks elegant and not like a costume party or something. So it would be a very dark purple. The rest of the groomsmen would be wearing black jackets with purple vests. What do u all think of this? Would the groom look silly with a purple jacket or would it be a neat twist on the traditional suit jacket? 

Re: Should the groom wear a purple suit jacket?

• Options
    ernursejernursej member
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016

The most important thing is that the person wearing the item is happy. I once went to a wedding where the groom was in a blue suit and the bride wore a blue dress and you could tell they were so happy. The groom can absolutely wear a purple jacket if that is what makes him happy.

It isn't traditional and you may find people surprised at the decision to wear purple.

I personally prefer vests and jackets to be the same colour (otherwise looks like prom), but it seems to be a fairly popular idea.

Edited for words because I'm not composing sentences very well tonight.

• Options

Let him choose his Purple before you choose BM dresses!  Even if it's Electric Purple, it's his day too - if that's what he's wanting to wear, NBD!

• Options
    Well, you know I am the conservative lady here.  I vote no.  I think it will look silly.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    justsie said:
    I agree with most PPs, let him wear what makes him happy. I also think the pictures might look dated quickly, but that isn't a huge deal. Makes me think of the powder blue suits that were popular a few decades (?) ago and how dated those photos feel because of it. Despite that I'd still say let him wear what makes him happy. 
    I agree that it isn't a huge deal of things looked dated years from now. Most wedding style do look dated 10-20 years later. I'm thinking brides as well as grooms - and don't even get started on bridesmaids' dresses. You just need to embrace whatever style you love now and when looking at those pictures years from now think of how happy you were on that special day.
  • Options
    justsie said:
    I agree with most PPs, let him wear what makes him happy. I also think the pictures might look dated quickly, but that isn't a huge deal. Makes me think of the powder blue suits that were popular a few decades (?) ago and how dated those photos feel because of it. Despite that I'd still say let him wear what makes him happy. 
    When one of my uncles got married in the early 1970s, he and his groomsmen all wore powder blue suits with ruffled shirts. In the photos, the suits look almost green. I kid you not.
  • Options
    I think it will be cute, stylish and actually unusual!)
  • Options
    justsie said:
    When one of my uncles got married in the early 1970s, he and his groomsmen all wore powder blue suits with ruffled shirts. In the photos, the suits look almost green. I kid you not.
    Those were not suits, they were tuxedos!  I kid you not!  I was married in 1976, and I had the good sense to order classic black for my DH, who said he didn't care.  They also had tuxedos in mint green, tan, yellow and pink.  Most people went with that trend, and many have regretted it ever since.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Wasn't there a thread a few months back with a bride asking the same thing? Some of the pictures in there looked great. Have wear whatever he is comfortable in. 
  • Options
    Wasn't there a thread a few months back with a bride asking the same thing? Some of the pictures in there looked great. Have wear whatever he is comfortable in. 
    There was one asking for suggestions on where to get a purple jacket I believe, it included pictures of men in purple jackets as suggestions if I remember correctly. 

@CMGragain All those color options remind me of this

• Options
    Isn't half the fun of looking at old photographs the amusement of thinking "Can you believe we used to dress like that on purpose?"

If your fiance likes the idea of a purple suit, I think you should go for it.  It's not as though it's something godawful like the camo suits a girl from my hometown keeps posting on facebook practically every day.  It may not be as classic a choice as some other options, but I bet it will be very handsome.
  • Options
    Isn't half the fun of looking at old photographs the amusement of thinking "Can you believe we used to dress like that on purpose?"

If your fiance likes the idea of a purple suit, I think you should go for it.  It's not as though it's something godawful like the camo suits a girl from my hometown keeps posting on facebook practically every day.  It may not be as classic a choice as some other options, but I bet it will be very handsome.

You had to remind me that I'm making a Camo themed dress for my niece for Prom (and Senior Pictures)... Thankfully we talked her into wearing a "Girly Girl" prom dress this year and she can have the "fun" dress for Prom her Senior year...  But oh LAWD is it costing me $$$!!!
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards