DIY Wedding Forum

How are you DIY your aisle or alter?

Anyone have pics?  I need some inspiration. 

Re: How are you DIY your aisle or alter?

• Well, I am getting married outside and actually having a spiral aisle. At the entrance to the spiral there is going to be a table with wedding wands, an arch and two tall vases with flowers in them. Along the outside of the spiral there will be pops of color with different colored parasols (see spiral aisle photo)

• justsuzie said:
    Anyone have pics?  I need some inspiration. 

There are a lot of options for what you can do, but a lot depends on where are you getting married (a church, the beach, mountain hillside, community hall). Have you browsed Pinterest yet?

Also, unless this is THE thing you need to have, consider that it could cost a pretty penny and the money could be spent elsewhere.

I've never been to a wedding with a spiral aisle, but I have been to a few where an aisle runner was used and the only time it looked nice was before the procession started. One of the events, the bride actually tripped over the end of the runner.

Something simple like shepherd's hooks or pomanders on pews could be a nice addition without going overboard.

• Please keep any mobility issues in mind when planning your aisle design. Our MOH uses a wheelchair about 80 percent of the time, and my 96-year-old grandmother will (I hope) be at the wedding, so we're planning accordingly.
  • Please keep any mobility issues in mind when planning your aisle design. Our MOH uses a wheelchair about 80 percent of the time, and my 96-year-old grandmother will (I hope) be at the wedding, so we're planning accordingly.
    Yes, definitely keep your guests in mind as well....Fortunately we have no family or friends coming that are disabled but if we did, the spiral design of our aisle would not work.

• My ceremony is outdoors in the grass on the side of the barn. Pretty much a blank canvas. 

• I'm working on making an altar like this. I'm hoping I can use a mobile clothing rack and have the welders at work weld the side pieces to make it as tall as possible. If not, I have a couple other ideas to make it work. 

I bought the sheers on sale at Amazon and am using my white Christmas lights for the rest. 

• @kimmiinthemitten how tall are you looking to make it? You can probably rent pipe and drape. If you lived near me I would give you some from work.
  • @missJeanLouiseNot very tall.  I am getting quotes from the rental company for pipe and drape too, but if we can make it for the same price, our florist will buy it off of us to add to her inventory.
  • edited April 2016
    That looks so cool, @kimmiinthemitten!

I'm thinking of making something like this:

http://apracticalwedding.com/2014/01/bohemian-wedding-arch/

I changed the original links because FW is concerned about cultural appropriation, and she made a really good point to me.

ETA: I'm using bamboo instead of birch poles, and I'm going to incorporate ribbons with FW's favorite sports teams. 
  • My ceremony is outdoors by a lake. My wedding is also peacock themed. So, I'll be draping the "pews" with a turquoise tulle and a bouquet of baby's breath or small white filler mix with one single peacock feather tied with a turquoise bow. The altar will be draped with an old saree. I'll pull back the drapes with ribbon. On top of the altar there will be a floral bouquet with peacock feathers. 

For the reception, I'm keeping it simple, as I believe less is more. The chairs are a deep navy and already match my color scheme: turquoise, navy, gold accents. I'll request a jewel toned turquoise napkins. I will put peacock decals on the walls. For the tables, I'm going for a very tall skinny vase spray painted gold and it will have a bunch of baby's breath and peacock feathers. I will scatter M&Ms of the wedding colors on the table. 

The table numbers will be on a matching small moleskin book. Under number 1, it will say something like: "Please write a message to be read on their first year anniversary." And as an icebreaker, I'll be putting copies of both me and my husbands kindergarten class pictures with a sign asking guests to identify us. 

• I made something like this

out of cheap fabric and thousands and thousands of fake flower petals. It wasn't difficult in the least, just time consuming. It was really really pretty but I forgot to bring it the day of the wedding.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited April 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards