Wedding Woes
Options

You haven't figured this out in 20 years?!

Dear Prudence, 
My husband and I have been married for 20 years, and we’re happy but for one thing: He often repeats the same stories and anecdotes. It drives me crazy, but when I point it out, he acts like I’ve hurt his feelings. It’s dividing the family. He claims that since we’re encountering new people each time (we’ve moved frequently), he doesn’t repeat stories to the same folks. My sons agree. But my daughter and I have heard it all before. Even if the story was entertaining once, we don’t want to hear it again. It’s rude of him to not consider every person in the room when he speaks, but he acts hurt when I helpfully point out his repetition. Then my sons say I’m being mean. He’s not elderly. There’s nothing wrong medically. He just thinks it’s acceptable to repeat stories and anecdotes. How do I make him stop?

—Repeat Offender

Re: You haven't figured this out in 20 years?!

• Options
    DH and our old neighbor were both Marines in the same time-ish and did some of the same stuff. So when we all hung out and drank together, the guys would definitely start reliving the 'glory days'.  I've heard all the shit so.many.times, but I could not repeat half of it because I learned to let go in one ear and out the other.  It's a good skill to have.  ;) 
    Seriously. This person has had multiple children but hasn't learned this skill yet either?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards