Wedding Woes

You get what you pay for

Dear Prudence,
My sister and stepsister have always quarreled over on every issue you can think of. My sister is a professional photographer and records almost every family function in spectacular style. My stepsister got married recently and decided to skip on paying a photographer since my sister always carries her camera. You guessed it: The photographs came out horribly—red eyes, blurry, and fuzzy. My stepsister had a fit and screamed at my sister. My sister said she had accidentally brought some bad lenses but since no one officially asked her to be the wedding photographer, she hadn’t had time to prepare. And it is true—no one asked my sister to be the wedding photographer or offered to pay her. However, my sister has since confessed to me over a bottle of wine that she deliberately chose a bad camera because my stepsister was a “cheap, selfish witch.”

I am not sure what to do here. The entire fallout has most of my relatives talking about what a “bridezilla” my stepsister was. Even my stepmom apologized to my sister for her daughter’s behavior. Was my sister right? Should I say anything?

—Not Picture Perfect

Re: You get what you pay for

• Why would you assume someone that actively dislikes you and you fight/squabble with constantly would do you a solid by photographing your wedding without being asked or paid to do it? 

Everyone here sounds like a dick. 

And the LW should remove herself from the middle before she gets trampled.  The road to hell and all that... 
  • That the sister even brought a camera is a gift.

I can't imagine that it's only the photography that got the bride her 'zilla reputation.   
  • I agree with PPs. The sister wasn't out of place to not take great pictures, especially since the stepsister didn't even mention it to her. Slightly shitty to not take good pics on purpose, but not anyone's problem.

But above all, none of this is LW's problem and I'd file this under "not my problem and stay the hell out of it".

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Step-sister is a bitch.  But that was a pretty passive aggressive move.  I wonder what else bridezilla was screaming about.  I'm like 99% sure this wedding must have had a cash bar without enough seats, and B-listing.  

• Step-sister should have made it abundantly clear if she was seriously expecting sister to spend the ENTIRE wedding snapping away, taking album-worthy photos. She also should have offered her a stipend, but that's another story.

And I honestly fail to see why sister was out of line in using a cheaper camera. It's not shady at all, if you understand cameras. A nice, new DSLR and great lenses can cost, altogether, thousands. THOUSANDS. It's not something you keep around your neck when you're enjoying yourself, eating food, and dancing. I don't blame her at all for opting to take a cheaper camera.

• emmy7272 said:

Step-sister should have made it abundantly clear if she was seriously expecting sister to spend the ENTIRE wedding snapping away, taking album-worthy photos. She also should have offered her a stipend, but that's another story.

And I honestly fail to see why sister was out of line in using a cheaper camera. It's not shady at all, if you understand cameras. A nice, new DSLR and great lenses can cost, altogether, thousands. THOUSANDS. It's not something you keep around your neck when you're enjoying yourself, eating food, and dancing. I don't blame her at all for opting to take a cheaper camera.

I think the "shady" was the deliberate act of not bringing a good camera. It sounds as though the sister is professional and has numerous cameras and lenses at her disposal. She specifically didn't bring one that would take good pics because she knew what would happen. 

I agree with PPs. 
  • Why would you assume someone that actively dislikes you and you fight/squabble with constantly would do you a solid by photographing your wedding without being asked or paid to do it? 

Everyone here sounds like a dick. 

And the LW should remove herself from the middle before she gets trampled.  The road to hell and all that... 
    Agree with the bolded so much.

That being said, if I was in the sisters shoes I completely understand the motivation behind sabotaging the pics. Sure it makes her a dick, but it must have been soooo satisfying.

• I wonder if that bride wasn't... you know... THAT one... 
  • emmy7272 said:

Step-sister should have made it abundantly clear if she was seriously expecting sister to spend the ENTIRE wedding snapping away, taking album-worthy photos. She also should have offered her a stipend, but that's another story.

Because she did it on purpose to sabotage the photos. She even said so.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards