Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Friends' photography

I'm wondering if there's a polite way to ask to see friends' photos taken at our wedding, after the fact?

Professional photography isn't in our budget at this point (wish it was, but other things are taking priority). We have several friends who are professional photographers, but we're not asking them in advance to take photos - they'll be attending as guests not vendors, and we don't want to put them on the spot with negotiating fees etc. 

We also have many friends who are prolific hobby photographers, not to mention all the other guests who will likely be taking pictures. All this to say, I'm confident there will be some kind of photographic evidence that we did indeed get hitched.

Is it ok to ask afterwards if friends & family would mind sharing their photos with us? Recognizing that professional photographers may have different thoughts on this than non-professionals.

If there's no polite way to ask and no easy way to coordinate (email? cloud service?), I'm totally fine accepting budget decision consequences and graciously/gratefully seeing only photos that are shared in an unsolicited way.

Re: Friends' photography

• Options

A&B567 said:
    I'm wondering if there's a polite way to ask to see friends' photos taken at our wedding, after the fact?

Professional photography isn't in our budget at this point (wish it was, but other things are taking priority). We have several friends who are professional photographers, but we're not asking them in advance to take photos - they'll be attending as guests not vendors, and we don't want to put them on the spot with negotiating fees etc. 

We also have many friends who are prolific hobby photographers, not to mention all the other guests who will likely be taking pictures. All this to say, I'm confident there will be some kind of photographic evidence that we did indeed get hitched.

Is it ok to ask afterwards if friends & family would mind sharing their photos with us? Recognizing that professional photographers may have different thoughts on this than non-professionals.

If there's no polite way to ask and no easy way to coordinate (email? cloud service?), I'm totally fine accepting budget decision consequences and graciously/gratefully seeing only photos that are shared in an unsolicited way.

Ditto PP.  But if you have any money in the budget for a photographer, you might be able to find one just starting out who needs to fill out his or her portfolio.  When you figure out how much you can spend on the photographer, I would start by asking your professional friends for recommendations.

"Friend, we have a very limited budget of x for our wedding photography.  I was wondering if you knew of anyone just starting out, who may take us on as clients.  I love your work and trust you to recommend someone who will do a great job."

They may surprise you and take you on as a client or, they will do as you ask and recommend someone in your budget.

• Options
    MandyMost said:
    I don't think it's anything wrong with sending an email (or phone call, or text, or however you would typically communicate with a given friend/relative) to an individual to say "Hey, we're trying to gather together lots of photos from the wedding. Did you take any you can share? I set up a [insert photo website of choice] album where you can upload them if you get a chance, or you can just email me". 

But that's all. If they don't bother to give you their photos, then you don't get them. You run the risk of not getting any good photos, or even any photos at all. 

I would definitely do this on an individual basis, not a group thing. 

Thank you, good tip to ask on an individual basis and not group request. And yes, it's a definite risk of shitty/no photos. 
  • Options

A&B567 said:

Ditto PP.  But if you have any money in the budget for a photographer, you might be able to find one just starting out who needs to fill out his or her portfolio.  When you figure out how much you can spend on the photographer, I would start by asking your professional friends for recommendations.

"Friend, we have a very limited budget of x for our wedding photography.  I was wondering if you knew of anyone just starting out, who may take us on as clients.  I love your work and trust you to recommend someone who will do a great job."

They may surprise you and take you on as a client or, they will do as you ask and recommend someone in your budget.

I was also thinking about this. I'd think you could find someone, maybe a photography student, who would at least try to take some formal shots and give them to you after the wedding, as a way to practice and build their portfolio. Even having them for just an hour would be something--and then you could also ask for your friend's pics after the fact. 
  • Options
    OliveOilsMom said:

A&B567 said:

I like this wording, and it's a great suggestion to ask for recommendations. It really is zero $$ though. Or a most we could maybe manage a couple hundred dollars - would even newbie photogs do a wedding for $200? (honest question, I just didn't think so). I don't mind sharing more info about budget - we're paying for food & drinks & venue, and saving for honeymoon (where I'll be the prolific hobby photographer). Also saving for a house and paying off student debt. No money being spent on decor, minimal money on nice outfits.
  • Options
    Good reason to have a wedding hashtag (although you will probably get more guest selfies than picture of you and your FI)

• Options
    A&B567 said:
    OliveOilsMom said:
    I like this wording, and it's a great suggestion to ask for recommendations. It really is zero $$ though. Or a most we could maybe manage a couple hundred dollars - would even newbie photogs do a wedding for $200? (honest question, I just didn't think so). I don't mind sharing more info about budget - we're paying for food & drinks & venue, and saving for honeymoon (where I'll be the prolific hobby photographer). Also saving for a house and paying off student debt. No money being spent on decor, minimal money on nice outfits.
    You may find students or young photographers willing to work for a couple hundred dollars, or maybe even free, in exchange for having the event/photos to use in their resume/portfolio.  Especially if they are only there for an hour or two. It never hurts to ask.

With no designated photographer, you do run the risk of no photos or bad photos. We know people took pictures at our wedding, and informally contacted several of them to see if they could share their photos with us, and only one person sent us their pictures. Which was okay, because we did hire a pro photographer. My SIL did send us her pictures, though.  She's fairly experienced with photography and took a lot of pictures... I think she took nearly as many as the hired photographer.  DH and I actually got dressed up again a couple couple days after the wedding to do a photo shoot on the beach and had her as our photographer for that (she did it for free as part of our wedding gift). Those ended up being some of our favorite posed shots. 

• Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    WedPics has been recommended to me a number of times.  Supposedly, it's a free app/website thing where guests can upload all of the pictures they take during the wedding into one place with a unique moniker (e.g. "JackJill4616"), whether it's on their phone or with a digital camera.  The website says it's free, and that you can download full res photos to your computer and have at it afterwards.

I can't vouch for the site, I haven't used it, but several of my BMs have and liked it.

ETA: Words

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

You could try scouting an aspiring photographer at a local community college that offers photography courses. It doesn't cost anything to sit down with someone and see what they would charge. You could even hang a flyer on a bulletin board on campus so students reach out to you.

As for the guest photos, I think casually mentioning to a member of the bridal party prior to the wedding that you are going to be setting up an online hosting service for guests to show off their photos would be a good idea. Your bridal party can help get the word out so people will know after the fact without you having to ask. Every wedding guest wants to be the one who captured the best shot so I don't think you'll run into resistance from your guests.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with asking about their pictures after the wedding as long as your expectations are in check since they don't know that you are counting on their photos. 

I am using WedPics for our wedding (in addition to our professional photographer).  Its a free app and guests can upload their photos from the event to share with you.  We put the information on our wedding website and at the bottom of our ceremony programs.  We also purchased a bunch of business cards from the website that we will put on tables and on the bar so everyone sees it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lnixon8 said:
    Good reason to have a wedding hashtag (although you will probably get more guest selfies than picture of you and your FI)
    Neither one of us is a huge fan of having our picture taken, so having more photos of guests would actually be totally fine! Even if we had money for a professional photographer, posed shots would be lower on the priority list. We would just be rushing to get it over with.
  • Options

My quote button isn't working but I would strongly urge you to put the money you have saved for a honeymoon towards a photographer. A honeymoon is just a vacation. You can take one at any point in your marriage. But you will never be able to capture the moments of your wedding again.

I would also have a dry wedding or brunch wedding before giving up a photographer.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As someone who is also not a fan of having her picture taken, with a DH who feels the same way, I share PPs recommendations of looking to a photography student or new professional for a better deal.  We contracted with someone who was just beginning his business and got good-enough-for-us pictures at about one-third of the going rate in our area.  The trade was that we share the digital rights to the photos - he used them early in his portfolio - and that we didn't get anything other than the digital prints, no album or canvases, etc. directly from him.

Good enough for us meant the traditional posed shots our families wanted, two-three more artistic photos of us, and a bunch of great reception photos.  We didn't spend a ton of time doing a more stage shoot of either us or our BP but we got to create a nice album for our parents and got some pictures for our home.

If you know you want to have some photos to commemorate the day, I wouldn't leave it up to your guests; I would see if its possible to get someone, even for a few hours.  PPs suggestion of a community college program and asking friends in the business for recommendations - great places to start!
    Anniversary

• Options
    Back when I got married a million years ago (2009), the hot thing was to do a Shutterfly share site.  You can set one up for free, and then we just printed free Vistaprint cards, which we had the venue place at each place setting, asking guests to upload any photos of the day to that site.  We got a ton.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options

If you could get together the $200, have you also thought about asking one of your professional photog friends to do a first look and family pictures only.  These could all be done before the ceremony itself, so that the friend you use would then be able to enjoy themselves during the ceremony and reception.

I know you said you don't like getting your picture taken.  H & I also don't like getting our picture taken.  H actually said after a little while, it was like our photographers weren't even there anymore.  This is because we "clicked" with their personalities.  The same would probably happen with one of your friends doing the pictures.

"Friend, I know this is a lot to ask, so feel free to say no or recommend someone else.  But for $x would you be able to photograph a first look, our BPs, and family pictures prior to our ceremony?  It's important to me that you be able to attend the wedding as a guest and enjoy yourself from the ceremony to the end of the reception.  I would have no hurt feelings if you say no, so please think about this offer and let me know."

For about an hour's work, the $200 would be in line with what most photographers charge for a "mini-session" in my area.  

• Options
    LD1970 said:
    Back when I got married a million years ago (2009), the hot thing was to do a Shutterfly share site.  You can set one up for free, and then we just printed free Vistaprint cards, which we had the venue place at each place setting, asking guests to upload any photos of the day to that site.  We got a ton.
    My sister did the Shutterfly site after her destination wedding.  She didn't just want pictures of the wedding itself, but since lots of us made the trip into our beach vacation for the year, we also added any other photos we thought other guests might want.  I didn't have access to any of the pro photos when I made the Shutterfly album for our grandparents who couldn't come to the wedding, so everything I used was from my own photos or other family members/guests took.
  • Options
    Really some great ideas, thanks everyone! Lots to discuss with FI.

We live in a large city (and major tourist destination), so it always seems like anything wedding industry related = big $$. However, there are also many universities, colleges, community centres etc - so the student angle is excellent. 
  • Options
    A&B567 said:
    OliveOilsMom said:

A&B567 said:

What geographic area are you in? We opted for a just starting out person that we got via a 1/2 price fb deal and paid $400 for 8 hours of coverage. We wanted to get some good pictures but knew that we didn't want to pay thousands so we were happy with our choice. We got some good pictures, enough for albums and a few pix in the house so I can't complain. Sure there are a few things that could have been better with a more experienced photographer but at the end of the day we were happy with our ROI.
  • Options

What about adding in your thank you cards "if you have any photos of our wedding that you would like to share, please send them to us at ......"

• Options
    I haven't read the other comments, my lunch break is about to end. Maybe try something like Wedpucs. They give you a site to share all your pics o, they even make cards you can have on the tables with the info for your guests. 

I'm doing that as well as pro photography, mainly because I love the candids people take vs posed groups.

• Options
    A&B567 said:
    OliveOilsMom said:

A&B567 said:

I don't think "even a newbie would do a wedding for $200", but I do think a newbie, or a photography student, would do an hour of photography for $200. 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    A&B567 said:
    OliveOilsMom said:

A&B567 said:

I don't think "even a newbie would do a wedding for $200", but I do think a newbie, or a photography student, would do an hour of photography for $200. 
    Anyone worth hiring would not work a full wedding for $200. Most photogs start out as a second shooter under an established photog. At $200 you aren't going to get any edits to your images...that typically it's more time than you spent shooting.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    That's a good price! Just make sure you are clear on what she includes :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MandyMost said:
    A&B567 said:
    OliveOilsMom said:

A&B567 said:

YES! just because someone is starting out, does not mean the prices will be just a couple hundred bucks for the entire day. The beginning of a business is when you need the money the most. I am graduating from college in May with a photography degree (As well as marketing) and I have 'shadowed' a few photographers last summer to build my portfolio and get paid, and my department also puts on a mock wedding in the spring for all of the final year students to get their portfolio built (I know not everyone has that opportunity though) Now, with my experience, degree, business, and portfolio- I would only do an hour or 2 for $200. 

You have to remember when it comes to photography, you aren't paying just for the 6 hours they are there. You are paying for the 2 $2000 camera bodies, the $3000+ in lenses, the classes and courses they have taken, the software to edit and order the prints, the 6 hours they are there on a Saturday, the hours of editing they will have, and trying to make a living off of what is left. Just a little food for thought. (not that anyone is saying photographers are overpriced, but just a little insight, it never hurt anyone right? :)

Congratulations on finding a photographer though!! Thats a good price for the amount of coverage-just be sure to view their previous weddings to get a little bit of their style :) 
  • Options
    another thing to remember, even if you are not a huge picture fan, the pictures will be what is left over at the end of the day. They are what you will show your kids and grandkids as they are growing up and such an easy way to remember your wedding day. Pictures last forever, and they are worth every penny of it (in my opinion-but they were also the most important part of the day for me, besides getting married to my best friend! :smile: )
  • Options
    another thing to remember, even if you are not a huge picture fan, the pictures will be what is left over at the end of the day. They are what you will show your kids and grandkids as they are growing up and such an easy way to remember your wedding day. Pictures last forever, and they are worth every penny of it (in my opinion-but they were also the most important part of the day for me, besides getting married to my best friend! :smile: )
    I doubt our cats will be that interested in wedding photography, tbh.

(but valid for couples who want children, yes)
  • Options
    I'm glad you found some solution to work in your budget. Kind of an aside and definitely I don't mean it as an attack on anyone, but I don't understand why people always say photos are all you have left of the wedding. That isn't true. You have a marriage. If you aren't a big picture person, don't worry about it. I think I've seen one picture of my parents' wedding ever. They probably have more but who cares. It is actually the marriage that matters when the wedding is over, not the photos of it. I hope no one takes this offensively since I don't mean it to start a thing but you don't have to make photos important to you if they aren't really. Really each couple just needs to be happy with what they do with their budget.
    Thank you for bringing this up, I absolutely agree with you. I think the only person who hasn't insisted, "OMG but you MUST have photography!!!!" is my friend who eloped, and wore sweatpants to her ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards