Chit Chat

Updates on my H

H has completed his first round of follow-up appointments. Last week he saw the ortho, vascular, and plastic surgery docs. Today he saw the trauma docs. Overall, he's doing well.

His pelvis is healing well and the doc doesn't think he will need to add any additional hardware like plates, etc. We go back to see him next Tuesday and we are hoping to get an update on his weight-bearing status and a date to remove the external fixator and, following that, a discharge to rehab!

The vascular docs said things looked decent with his arm. He has some necrotic tissue on his left forefinger but it's pretty small and the doctor said it will slough off like a scab eventually. He will go back at the end of May to have an official look that the bypass and the other veins and arteries in that arm to be sure they are all open and flowing well. No update on any sensory or motor function; I'm actually not sure what specialty that would be.

Plastic surgery was for his skin graft... all is well, pretty much. There is some scabbing on the donor site that H is being stubborn over. It needs to come off but it hurts so he avoids it. He needs to be lightly scrubbing and putting lotion on it each day. He gets the lotion part okay but avoids the scrubbing. I nag him and he will pick a scab or two off, sigh. Have another follow-up for that. He also has one small pressure ulcer and the start of another on his left arm from being in the splint so we've got a salve and some more padding in the splint for that.

No more follow-ups with the trauma docs; no real news there except he is mildly malnourished and needs more protein and iron. I think I mentioned before the food in the nursing home blows. We've been bringing food in but it's mostly convenience food supplemented by homecooked from my parents. So we fired up his myfitnesspal account again (he was almost at a 400 day streak when he got hurt!) to track calories and protein and I plan to buy some groceries and make some food at my aunt's house, some of the good quality nutritious meals we eat at home. He will also take some vitamins for awhile, although I have my doubts about their efficacy. Basically we will just be more organized about what he eats and eliminate a lot of the snacky sweet food people have been bringing that take up his stomach space that could be used for nutritious food!

Spirits are okay. The nursing care has been pretty bad and I flipped my shit last week after one extremely upsetting incident in particular. We were going to move him but there was no guarantee of a private room in the new place and his mom said it's likely we'll have the same issues with nursing care at other places. Idk if it's the job or the pay or what but the aides and nurses here seem miserable and it shows in their attitude and motivation. I don't want to keep complaining although I could go on for hours, so suffice it to say it's not pleasant! But, it's nice to go out in his power chair, he likes having therapy every day, and he gets his hair washed once a week in the beauty parlor. Also, last Friday after his doctor's appointment we got the wheelchair transport service to drop us off at a strip mall type area and had some lunch and went to the music store where he bought some method books for trumpet. He's going to buy a trumpet or cornet and learn to play that one-handed while he waits for his left arm to come back, if it ever does. Anyway, it was really nice to spend time together out in the "real world" like a date. :) 

Overall, we are hanging in there! Can't wait until we can move back to our city and I can move back into our house and he can be nearby to both me and his parents.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Updates on my H

• Thanks for the update!  I'm glad to hear that things are getting better and that y'all enjoyed your date.
  • Thanks for the update!
  • So happy to read this! 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    My son's trumpet playing got him into the University of Maryland.  His grades from high school were crappy, but his SAT scores were very high.
    The day before his audition he slipped in the men's room of the pool house and fractured his left arm.  It was in a cast.  So he shows up to the audition that way!  They loved it.  I was accompanying him on piano, so I got to witness the whole thing. 
    A good trumpet is going to cost several thousand dollars, though.
    Best wishes for your DH in learning the instrument and prayer for patience for you.  The first year it sounded like farting elephants were living in our basement when he practiced.  By the time he was in high school, he was playing professional gigs, and he playing in the university orchestra, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks for the update. Yesterday I was wondering how y'all were doing. Glad you had a nice day out, I'm sure it was a great mental booster!
  • Thanks for the update! I truly admire you both for how you are going through this journey. I will keep you both in my prayers and hope for a speedy release to rehab!
  • Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to get out to the music store and do something "normal". I hope he is able to come home soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the update! You are both amazing!
  • Not to belabor the point about the food but this is what they served H for lunch:

Anyone want to guess what it's supposed to be?

• CMGragain said:
    My son's trumpet playing got him into the University of Maryland.  His grades from high school were crappy, but his SAT scores were very high.
    The day before his audition he slipped in the men's room of the pool house and fractured his left arm.  It was in a cast.  So he shows up to the audition that way!  They loved it.  I was accompanying him on piano, so I got to witness the whole thing. 
    A good trumpet is going to cost several thousand dollars, though.
    Best wishes for your DH in learning the instrument and prayer for patience for you.  The first year it sounded like farting elephants were living in our basement when he practiced.  By the time he was in high school, he was playing professional gigs, and he playing in the university orchestra, too.
    H is adept at finding decent quality used instruments on Craigslist; he's acquired several nice guitars, a bass, and a saxophone that way! He's more of a player for fun, though, rather than performance, so it's not too important. Maybe the person who hit him is secretly some important heiress and we can get him a high end instrument at auction. :wink: 
  • I think I cleaned that up last time we took Moose to the dog park . . .
  • Not to belabor the point about the food but this is what they served H for lunch:

Anyone want to guess what it's supposed to be?
    OMG, I almost threw up just looking at it.

• SP29SP29 member
    *Bleh*

It looks like it's supposed to be hamburger gravy (*MY* hamburger gravy is appetizing ;)), but it is usually served over potatoes, the photo looks like it is served over a bun- and I dislike soggy buns.
  • Ok that food looks absolutely disgusting. I really feel for you and your H. I want the best for you guys and this place clearly isn't it!

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear other things are going well in regards to his healing. I hope he can go home soon so you guys can have a more normal life. I know you must be aching for the mundane at this point :(  

Y'all really inspire me daily. I am so glad to hear an update. I've been wondering how things were going and keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. 

• Biscuits and gravy?
  • I know that I have had a few patients use protein shakes to get extra protein in. Some of their families would make a big batch and we would just blend before portioning out a serving or the single serving option like boost. Would this be an option for your H?
  • spockforprezspockforprez member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    H is taking a protein supplement provided by the dietician there, although we're trying to figure out the best way for him to take it (powder, liquid, etc.). He doesn't always get it, though. It's supposed to be 3x per day and he didn't get it with lunch or dinner yesterday. I wasn't there to ask for it and H didn't remember. 

The food pictured is beef pot pie, by the way! @lovesclimbing please know that it looked and smelled just as disgusting in real life. lol! 
  • As a trumpet player myself, I think this is a great plan :smile: 

I'm so happy to hear things are progressing. Here's to more "normal" days soon in the future.
  • Since this is a nursing home, are you allowed to have a small mini fridge brought in?  You could then stock it with some food that H could eat.  Red meat is good for iron, so you can put some roast beef lunch meat in the fridge and he could have some sandwiches.  Is he also allowed a microwave?  That could open up the options even more to what you can stock in his mini-fridge and then heat/eat.  Baked potatoes?  Easy Mac?  There are some pasta microwaveable things, just add water and microwave.  I've been eating cream of wheat in the mornings and that is a good source of iron too.  The instant isn't too bad, but you can do both the instant and regular in the microwave.  You could also bring in some leftovers for heat/eat.

• He actually does have a mini fridge his parents loaned us! There is a microwave in one of the common places but it's super low wattage so it makes me nervous. My parents bring good quality food a few times a week and I've brought leftovers from my aunt/uncle and the rest we bring in. He's got veggies and fruits in there too. We got the fridge 4/2 and his labs were 4/1 so hopefully the next labs they take will show an improvement on nutrition!
  • That food looks absolutely disgusting. Nursing homes have to make easy to eat food for elderly residents, who are on restricted diets, but they could do better than that for a young adult. Could you request fresh salads with chicken breast, cheese, roast beef on the side?  I know you're doing your best to meet your H's dietary needs, but the dietary department should be trying harder, too.

• edited April 2016
    @photokitty, I wish I could love your comment 100 times.

Providing nutritious, appealing meals is part of basic care.

• Thanks for the update!

I'm glad H is doing better, and sorry about the nurses' and aide's lack of care -- and even sorrier he has to eat that slop.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited April 2016
    When my mother was dying from kidney failure due to her diabetes, after she had declared hospice treatment, her first demand was a cheese personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut.  I drove miles to get it for her.  This turned out to be her last meal.  Glad I did it!  Yes, food is important.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You're in Virginia, right Spoc?
    Read up on his resident rights, he has federal and state resident rights afforded to him. The nursing home is his HOME, he has rights and people are out there to advocate for him. Don't be afraid to speak up. Person centered care can Go a long way in recovery and in a person's mental health.

Start here:
    http://www.elderrightsva.org

Good luck!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards