Wedding Reception Forum

Tables

Would it be better to add a couple tables, so guests arent crowded during dinner ?

I need to submit my final counts to the caterer (also supplying tables and chairs) and I'm unsure if I should add a couple extra tables and chairs or not.

For instance, my tables seat 10 and I am anticipating 100 guests. Instead of having 10 tables completely filled, should I have the extras to spread people out or would that look strange ?

Re: Tables

• It won't look strange unless you have only a few people per table. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm glad I had a few extra tables, there were groups that worked better as 7s or 6s rather than 8s (we had small tables) so the extra room worked well. Also gives you flexibility if someone asks to bring a guest at the last minute or RSVPs no but ends up being able to attend (both of these happened to me). 

It didn't look strange and I doubt anyone noticed. 
  • I don't think it's a bad idea either.  I agree with @charlotte989875, make some 7 or 8 tops and you won't have a problem.
  • Would it be better to add a couple tables, so guests arent crowded during dinner ?

I need to submit my final counts to the caterer (also supplying tables and chairs) and I'm unsure if I should add a couple extra tables and chairs or not.

For instance, my tables seat 10 and I am anticipating 100 guests. Instead of having 10 tables completely filled, should I have the extras to spread people out or would that look strange ?
    Are you assigning guests to specific tables?  If you are not, then you absolutely need to add a few extra tables.  Do you have a table set aside for vendors?  Between our photographer, DJ, and photographers, we needed a table for the 5 vendors to sit during dinner.

We also had a table of 7 and 8 because it worked out better for all the guests.
  • Are you assigning tables? If not, the only concern I'd give it that if you have a few extra tables you could end up with one couple (or a single guest) who ends up sitting alone at a table. It happened to my parents best friends at my brother's wedding. They had extra tables, no assigned seats and these friends sat at a table and no one joined them so they were alone during the reception. Maybe that is unlikely to happen again but just a thought.

• I think its a great idea if you are doing assigned tables. I had quite a few 8 person tables that could have fit 10...just easier to group people that way if you have more to work with.

• If those are 60" table DO NOT put 10 at each table. It is horribly crowded. 8 people at 60" 10 people at 72" tables.
  • Right, what does "seats 10" actually mean?

I love this website which has photos, and shows how 10 people at a 60" table you can't even pull in the chairs at all.  http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/08/wedding-seating-chart-tips/.

And here's another website that talks a bit about different table sizes:
    http://bellinghameventrentals.squarespace.com/guide-database/2013/2/8/how-many-tables-do-i-need

We had 60" round tables and put 7-9 people per table. (We also had rectangular tables, which we kept to the 8 people exactly per table). 

• Space people out!  Everyone appreciates having some extra arm room..  13 tables of 8 would give you just a couple extra seats for 4 last second adds or a random empty seat here or there. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would space people out of you have the room.

Do you have assigned seats/tables?

We had to submit a seating plan to our venue with each guests' meal choice. We assigned tables. We had enough tables that we were able to seat like-groups together. Some tables had 10, some had 6 or 7- for example, friends from school, friends from work, group of aunts/uncles/cousins, etc. 

This worked out much better (I think) than trying to play around with seats in order to get our total number to perfectly match the number of tables.
  • MandyMost said:
    Right, what does "seats 10" actually mean?

I love this website which has photos, and shows how 10 people at a 60" table you can't even pull in the chairs at all.  http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/08/wedding-seating-chart-tips/.

And here's another website that talks a bit about different table sizes:
    http://bellinghameventrentals.squarespace.com/guide-database/2013/2/8/how-many-tables-do-i-need

We had 60" round tables and put 7-9 people per table. (We also had rectangular tables, which we kept to the 8 people exactly per table). 

This.

10 adults actually cannot comfortably fit at a 60" round along with place settings, centerpieces, candles, etc.  It doesn't matter what the venue tells you, it's not comfortable.  You are sitting on top of each other.

I wouldn't put any more than 8 adults at a 60" round.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Sorry for the delay in responding. Its been a couple of crazy ass weeks.

The tables are 72' rounds. I am doing assigned tables, not seats, and as I was seating people I thought it looked a bit crammed. I have tables for the vendors, plus two, just in case.

As for the "seats 10", that was how my caterer referred to the tables as, so that's what I've been planning. But damn, that's a lot of people at a table.

I think I will plan on 7-8 per table instead, just to space them out a little bit more. That just means I have to make up more centerpieces. Good thing I have a long weekend!

Thanks for the input, as always! 

• First, will the space you are using fit additional tables and still allow guests to move around comfortable & not have to move tables around for dancing? And in case budget is an issue, for each additional table you have you will need additional lines, chair covers if you are doing them and centerpieces.
  • Its an outdoor venue, and there is plenty of space! I did not factor in the extra linens and such though. I will have to check the budget and see how much room we have for them. Thank you very much for that suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards