Attire & Accessories Forum

Veil.....

Okay ladies. This is my wedding gown. I really want a cathedral length veil for our ceremony, but can't see spending the ridiculous (to me) amount to get a veil to match the tulle on the bottom of the dress. I am curious as to whether a simple veil with no embellishment or details would look okay with this, or should I just go for the one that will match the bottom tulle?

Re: Veil.....

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    Reasonably priced veils (under $500) ARE tulle.  I don't understand your problem.  What else would you choose?

Unless you are having a very formal wedding, the cathedral length is a bit over the top.  With all that tulle on the bottom of the dress, I think a fingertip length veils would be lovely.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • alhaley88alhaley88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    No, I understand that a veil is tulle. That is not my dilemma. The bottom of the dress is horsehair tulle, and a cathedral length veil with the trimmed tulle is 3X more expensive than a simple tulle veil.
  • And the ceremony will be a formal Catholic ceremony, so to me it is not over the top.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    alhaley88 said:
    And the ceremony will be a formal Catholic ceremony, so to me it is not over the top.
    What is the groom wearing?  This is what determines your formality - the two of you together.  If it is an evening wedding and he is wearing a tuxedo, you are fine.
    The horsehair tulle may cling to the veil tulle and create a problem.  This is why I recommended a shorter veil.
    Having a traditional Catholic ceremony has nothing to do with the formality style of your wedding.  Lots of brides dress less formally for this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I recommend this veil - it's the Hayley Paige "Londyn" veil (I'm wearing it myself!) from Hayley Paige of JLM Couture and it has the same horsehair trim that you're looking for (and a horsehair blusher if you're into that). I had it special-ordered and it still clocked in at under $250.

• Don't overthink this... For about$30 if you shop smart you can DIY or for $30-100 you can find one on ebay!  JoAnn has patterns on sale now for 5 for $5 patterns, and all you need to do to get the look is "hem" (fold it up then fold it up again) the tulle and hand stitch it with some clear thread or fish line.  It's a "value of your time vs. value of $500" DIY project.  It's not going to be a 5-minute veil unless you own a hemming machine but it won't take months either. 

IMO - you could get away with a raw or stitched around the bottom of a veil.  If anything I'd say try to  coordinate with the sash part of your dress rather than the bottom of the dress.  Try a plain one first since you can acquire one reasonably predone and embellish it yourself

• @100yroldblinddog that's awesome! That was the look of the veil I was originally considering, but the only salon i can find it at is the one I purchased my dress in and one that is significantly shorter (fingeetip) was still $400 dollars. 
  • @alhaley88 Oh no! If you can get to a Nordstrom with a Wedding Suite in it, they will order it for you for about $230. They could probably actually ship it to you, if you feel comfortable steaming it. It's cathedral length and will match your dress.
  • I don't think there is a nordstrom with a bridal salon anywhere close to me :( I'm thinking about checking out etsy too.
  • alhaley88 said:
    I don't think there is a nordstrom with a bridal salon anywhere close to me :( I'm thinking about checking out etsy too.
    Try the Nordstrom's website. I'm pretty sure bridal stuff is on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards