Wedding Etiquette Forum

Can I take over the rehearsal dinner from FILs?

2»

Re: Can I take over the rehearsal dinner from FILs?

• If by "common sense" you mean "non-educated", then sure! Sure, make a non-educated argument and source it with a non-reputable website. That always makes a person look like they know what they're talking about @crowsgirl15

And why does your username ring some distant bell in my head?

• If by "common sense" you mean "non-educated", then sure! Sure, make a non-educated argument and source it with a non-reputable website. That always makes a person look like they know what they're talking about @crowsgirl15

Check the post history. I figured it out from there.

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    If by "common sense" you mean "non-educated", then sure! Sure, make a non-educated argument and source it with a non-reputable website. That always makes a person look like they know what they're talking about @crowsgirl15

Check the post history. I figured it out from there.
    Ah, now I remember 

• ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2016
    My goodness you girls spend a lot on your mattresses!  My was only £900 and that was near the top end at the shop I went to.

@glasgowtolondon
    On another note I heard the Mattress King of New Jersey is off the market!  I wonder who his new bride is and if she's on here?  So exciting!  

• My goodness you girls spend a lot on your mattresses!  My was only £900 and that was near the top end at the shop I went to.

@glasgowtolondon
    On another note I heard the Mattress King of New Jersey is off the market!  I wonder who his new bride is and if she's on here?  So exciting!  

I spent a mere $1400 on my mattress, but now that I know that there's a Mattress King of New Jersey and he's not quite spoken for, I'm making my move. Sorry, FI - this guy has access to fancier mattresses than I've ever dreamed of. ;)

• Crap, that reminds me, we do need a new mattress. It has to get in line behind the table, the screen door and the deep freeze.

• My goodness you girls spend a lot on your mattresses!  My was only £900 and that was near the top end at the shop I went to.

@glasgowtolondonOn another note I heard the Mattress King of New Jersey is off the market!  I wonder who his new bride is and if she's on here?  So exciting!  

I spent a mere $1400 on my mattress, but now that I know that there's a Mattress King of New Jersey and he's not quite spoken for, I'm making my move. Sorry, FI - this guy has access to fancier mattresses than I've ever dreamed of. ;)

I was there first bitch. (well second).

One day all this will be mine!

• Ooh, speaking of mattresses and that Mattress King stuff, there's this place here in Alaska called the Mattress Ranch. It has several branches around the state. The locations look like barns and have animal cut outs. The TV ads have this really old guy doing weird dancing and singing the theme song. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eldbPUqhFZk

• Also, I slept on the same mattress for 20 years, from the time I graduated from the crib til the day I graduated from college.  My parents still have it, and I still sleep on when I go home sometimes.  It's very comfortable.
    yup. My mattress was 20+ before I moved in with H and bought a new one
  • TNDancer said:

Also, I slept on the same mattress for 20 years, from the time I graduated from the crib til the day I graduated from college.  My parents still have it, and I still sleep on when I go home sometimes.  It's very comfortable.
    yup. My mattress was 20+ before I moved in with H and bought a new one

I swear the mattress I slept on in college (dorms) was going on 30...  The one in my old bedroom at my parents was at least that when they replaced it - with one so bad even DH (who sleeps for the night wherever he dozes off) complains about it to the point we offered to pay to replace it - which got the "her house her choice, just drop it" eventually because of what my Mom spent on the thing ("but it had the most coils available!")...
  • As long as the mattress is well-maintained I wouldn't care.  My parents took 30 years to replace their mattress and I'm sure I slept on mattresses that were at least 20 years old.   

• MandyMost said:
    Well, no. If you'd read the article you'd understand that mattresses last ten years. This isn't based on how many times per use, it's just common sense.

I'm just fascinated by this concept! So does the 10-year clock start ticking as soon as the mattress is manufactured? I assume a lot of mattresses sit in a warehouse for years, so that means it has a shorter life after you buy it? I've never considered trying to buy a 2016 mattress instead of a 2015 mattress, for example, but I guess it matters by this logic!

And obviously, as you stated, all consumer goods just wear out on their own, not based on use. You don't buy a new car because the mileage is way up there, you buy it simply because it's old, even if it only has 10,000 miles on it. Same difference. That mattress, sitting alone in a room and never being slept on, clearly just starts to degrade at a regular rate and becomes unsleepable at a magic 10 years. 

I used to have an ~50-year-old couch. It was the couch in my great aunt's "formal living room" for most of her life, and no one was ever allowed in that room to sit on it! It felt like a new couch to me, and I used it for about 10 years as my daily couch. That really wore it out. So, 50 years of non-use and it was like new, but 10 years of daily use and it wore out. I'm sure that was just a coincidence. 
    Nah, there are a million of easily googled sources that say you're 150% WRONG. GOOGLE IT!!!! Google knows!!!

• hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2016
    i had a mattress from the time i was a toddler. (i didn't have a special toddler bed this was the 8os i slept in a twin size bed)  my mattress lasted me till high school until it started giving out. some can last longer heck my grandma's spare mattress was over 30 years old and still in mint condition ( not many people slept on it 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards