Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception games -- NOT icebreakers!

edited April 2016 in Wedding Reception Forum
Our wedding is September 10, mid-afternoon, in an enclosed pavilion (really more of a hall) in a city park. In addition to dancing, we're thinking about borrowing or renting some outdoor games (bocce, cornhole, maybe horseshoes or badminton) and bringing board and card games for people who prefer not to dance or if the weather is bad. Our guests are a wide range of ages and physical abilities, and the park also has a playground and steps down to the lake.

What do you all think?

Reception games -- NOT icebreakers! 44 votes

Yes to indoor games, no to outdoor games
4% 2 votes
Yes to outdoor games, no to indoor games
36% 16 votes
Yes to both
36% 16 votes
No to both
18% 8 votes
Special snowflake
0% 0 votes
I like cute animal GIFs
4% 2 votes

Re: Reception games -- NOT icebreakers!

• Options
    I like this! However, I would make a point not get games that are too involved or strategic. Like how about connect 4, sorry, uno, stuff like that. Not the appropriate venue for scrabble or monopoly. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think as long as the games are simple and left as an option, they are OK to have, but I would never require a game (such as stopping the music, or asking all the guests to get up on the dance floor).

I would also be careful that you either do not include games that are specific to a small number of people, or have enough options that multiple groups can play.

At a friends wedding, they unfortunately had a bit of a gap, but allowed guests to go to the reception site (it wasn't a hosted time frame, however). They did have bocce ball available, but there was only one lane set up, so a group of people started playing and that was it- no one else could play.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @SP29, the games would be an option, definitely not mandatory, and we would have three or four. The rental prices are very reasonable, and I think we may even be able to borrow a few things (I think my parents have a croquet set in their shed, and I know my Grandma has a cornhole set in her garage.)

ETA: These are the options I'm considering:

Badminton (the park has a net, so we just need the rackets and birdies)
    Bocce
    Cornhole
    Croquet
    Horseshoes
    Volleyball (all we need is the ball)

As for indoor games if we do them, we have Scattergories, Balderdash, parcheesi, Uno, a few other card games, Mancala, and Jenga, and we can get sets of checkers and chess. 

Good point about simple games; FW and I are both brilliant at trivia, but we know that's not everyone's thing.
  • Options
    I think it sounds good as long as no one's pressured to play anything they don't want to.

I think I'd overestimate on the indoor games in case it rains and that's all that gets used. 

Maybe also some decks of regular cards if people want to break off and play poker, rummy, gin, euchre, etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    I'd probably pass on the volleyball because it's a bit intense for wedding attire, but the rest sound fun!
    Agreed. I quite enjoy volleyball, but I'd be showing up to your wedding in at least a summer dress, with my hair and make up done.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    drglitter said:
    I think it sounds good as long as no one's pressured to play anything they don't want to.

I think I'd overestimate on the indoor games in case it rains and that's all that gets used. 

Maybe also some decks of regular cards if people want to break off and play poker, rummy, gin, euchre, etc.
    Definitely some regular decks of cards too!

@drglitter, where are you from? I didn't think anyone outside Northeast Ohio knew about euchre.
  • Options
    drglitter said:

@drglitter, where are you from? I didn't think anyone outside Northeast Ohio knew about euchre.
    I always  thought it was strictly a Michigan thing!
  • Options
    badminton and volleyball sound a bit ambitious for wedding attire!
  • Options
    drglitter said:

Indiana plays it too.  Think it's a Midwest thing
  • Options
    drglitter said:

I'm from Indiana. I debated when I typed that if I needed to explain what euchre is, but I went for it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I miss euchre  :(. My friends here in Arizona don't know how to play, and it's a tricky game to teach. 

Are you having kids? I would grab a Candyland, Memory, etc. something easy for them. And heck, as an adult, I would grab that too if it was one of the options left. We have a bar here that has lots of board games/kid games, and they are always the first to get grabbed.
  • Options
    cgss11 said:
    I miss euchre  :(. My friends here in Arizona don't know how to play, and it's a tricky game to teach. 

Are you having kids? I would grab a Candyland, Memory, etc. something easy for them. And heck, as an adult, I would grab that too if it was one of the options left. We have a bar here that has lots of board games/kid games, and they are always the first to get grabbed.
    Great idea! We'll have kids ranging from 1 to 18, so I'll get something kid-appropriate.
  • Options
    cgss11 said:
    Oh, check Goodwills for used games for cheap!
    I'm a hardcore thrift store fan. Savers and Habitat for Humanity ReStore are my favorites.
  • Options
    I'd try to really picture how you think the day will go. You have a ceremony, then go to the reception. Is there a meal, or just "cake and punch" style? Regardless, people will typically arrive, and mingle with each other, and have a drink. Then if there's a meal people will take their seats and eat. If not, they'll just keep mingling. 

Are you having introductions, any spotlight dances, etc? 

I'm just trying to picture when at a wedding I would get up, and go start playing a board game. Or go outside and start playing bocce ball. It would mean only socializing with the few people I'm playing with, and going to a specific location to do it.

I just encourage you to really think through the logistics of how exactly, and when exactly, one would go about playing a game at your wedding. 
  • Options
    @MandyMost, the ceremony and reception are at the same place. We're having very light food: sandwiches; vegetable, fruit, and cheese trays; a few salads and light appetizers; and cake. No gap -- just some quick pictures and people can help themselves to the meal. No introductions and only two spotlight dances, the second of which we'll use as an invitation for people to get on the dance floor if they want to.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    edited April 2016
    People in Ontario also play euchre (I don't- but family and friends do).
  • Options
    @SP29, the games would be an option, definitely not mandatory, and we would have three or four. The rental prices are very reasonable, and I think we may even be able to borrow a few things (I think my parents have a croquet set in their shed, and I know my Grandma has a cornhole set in her garage.)

ETA: These are the options I'm considering:

Badminton (the park has a net, so we just need the rackets and birdies)
    Bocce
    Cornhole
    Croquet
    Horseshoes
    Volleyball (all we need is the ball)

As for indoor games if we do them, we have Scattergories, Balderdash, parcheesi, Uno, a few other card games, Mancala, and Jenga, and we can get sets of checkers and chess. 

Good point about simple games; FW and I are both brilliant at trivia, but we know that's not everyone's thing.
    OWK, look up the game, Gobblet.  It's like tic-tac-toe on crack.  My cousin's daughter loves going to Breweries with her dad because she gets to eat from food trucks and play Gobblet against drunkish strangers.  She's 9.

We're big gamers in my family and since Zombiecide and Settlers of Catan are not exactly great party games outside of my brother's basement, I'm planning on easy quick games on the tables.  It'll probably just be decks of cards, Gobblet, and Connect Four.  If you're really into trivia, there's nothing wrong with having boxes of Trivial Pursuit cards sitting on the table, or even just stacks of cards so people can quiz each other and start conversations about what they learned.  Jenga could be okay if it's away from food and drinks, and Scattergories and Balderdash are too involved.  Mancala and Uno can be good too.  Maybe I'll add those to my personal list.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @adk19, I looked up Gobblet -- looks like a lot of fun! 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    Not sure about the outdoor games if people are dressed up.

The indoor games could be fun if they're not too intense or involved.  So, I think you could have games like regular card games, "party games," Uno, the card version of Trivial Pursuit, Consensus, Apples to Apples, 5-Second Rule, and so on, but I would avoid games like Monopoly, Scattergories, Balderdash, and The Settlers of Catan.  (Leave Cards Against Humanity at home! ;)

I used to belong to several game meetups in NYC, so I'm familiar with a lot of those games.
  • Options
    Definitely no Cards Against Humanity! We'll have kids there!
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    I've been to a few weddings with indoor games. Nobody played them at two weddings. And a few of the elementary school aged kids played them at one wedding. Weddings just aren't a time I think people want to sit down and play games, though it's definitely a know-your-crowd thing. I want to mingle and socialize not get wrapped up in a game with just a few other people that could take a long time. I think lawn games are different because having spectators and chatting and mingling in between throws of cornhole or whatever is common. Personally, I'd nix the indoor games.
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    I've been to a few weddings with indoor games. Nobody played them at two weddings. And a few of the elementary school aged kids played them at one wedding. Weddings just aren't a time I think people want to sit down and play games, though it's definitely a know-your-crowd thing. I want to mingle and socialize not get wrapped up in a game with just a few other people that could take a long time. I think lawn games are different because having spectators and chatting and mingling in between throws of cornhole or whatever is common. Personally, I'd nix the indoor games.
    That's why my suggestions are to have gobblet, connect four, uno, and some trivia cards just sitting on a table.  People might play them, but if they don't, it's not like you put a TON of work into getting lots of games set out.  One out of every five or six games might get played.  It's like when bars have a shelf of games over in the corner.  One might get pulled out at 1am or so, by a table of people who have been drinking since 4pm and are totally shnockered and not playing by the rules.  --- I love the idea of outdoor games like cornhole and horseshoes.  Those are another of those games that might get played by a couple of people, but if they're just sitting there collecting dust for the day, they'll at least go back home to their owners and get used there.
  • Options
    SP29 said:
    People in Ontario also play euchre (I don't- but family and friends do).

It is played in Alberta too!
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    drglitter said:

Indiana plays it too.  Think it's a Midwest thing
    And here I thought it was a Buffalo thing! After every family dinner we play. 
  • Options
    If it would be natural for people to be outside during the reception, then outdoor games would be fine. My niece's reception was a backyard event at my sister's house, so pretty casual, we had corn hole & one or two other things going on and it was fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards