Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ceremony-Reception Time Gaps

So I have been reading a bunch of negative posts about time gaps being so rude to guests, and I think its a really big inconvenience but sometimes it has to happen. In my situation, the catholic church I am getting married in will only allow a 2pm ceremony. My cocktail hour starts at 6pm. I know a lot of people are going to tell me I should have started my cocktail hour earlier, but I wanted an evening reception. Also wanted enough time for pictures to be taken in between because I am old fashioned and not doing a first look. No one lives in the area so all my guests will be out of town guests. The hotel where everyone is staying is right next to the church, where they can go back to and freshen up (or check into for those who are arriving that day). I am going to let everyone know to attend the church casual since there is a time gap, but I need some ideas of what I can provide in the welcome bags to kill the time in between. I was thinking some playing cards or something fun like that... Any suggestions??  

Re: Ceremony-Reception Time Gaps

• dwitteck said:
    So I have been reading a bunch of negative posts about time gaps being so rude to guests, and I think its a really big inconvenience but sometimes it has to happen. In my situation, the catholic church I am getting married in will only allow a 2pm ceremony. My cocktail hour starts at 6pm. I know a lot of people are going to tell me I should have started my cocktail hour earlier, but I wanted an evening reception. Also wanted enough time for pictures to be taken in between because I am old fashioned and not doing a first look. No one lives in the area so all my guests will be out of town guests. The hotel where everyone is staying is right next to the church, where they can go back to and freshen up (or check into for those who are arriving that day). I am going to let everyone know to attend the church casual since there is a time gap, but I need some ideas of what I can provide in the welcome bags to kill the time in between. I was thinking some playing cards or something fun like that... Any suggestions??  

LFV?
  • adk19 said:
    So I have been reading a bunch of negative posts about robbing gas stations being so rude to gas station employees, and I think its a really big inconvenience but sometimes it has to happen. In my situation, I really need money and the gas station nearby is the only local place with a lot of cash on hand. I know a lot of people are going to tell me I shouldn't rob a gas station, but I want to buy myself beautiful things. I am going to let everyone know to not go to that gas station since I'm going to rob it, but I need some ideas of what I can provide to folks who won't get their fix of lottery tickets and Hostess snacks. I was thinking some playing cards or something fun like that... Any suggestions??  

A poem.  I believe what you need is a really cute "Sorry I have to rob your gas station" poem.  Poems fix everything!

SaveSave
  • edited May 2016
    I was not asking about advice for my gap situation was I asking for suggestions for things to do in between. This was intended to be a discussion and seems like all of you are being the rude ones. I have talked to several family members and friends about this before I even booked both and no one found it that big of a deal. They are their because they love us and want to be their reguardless of the circumstance. I know I am an adult and I have a choice, and I made my choice. I wanted a stangers opinion about that I would have asked it. Honestly some of you have too much time on your hands. If I knew this was going to be the out come of asking for suggestions on what to put in my welcome bag, then I would have never started this discussion. Thanks for the unhelpful advice from the above negative responders... I'll still take some suggestions on things to put in my welcome bags for my guests if anyone has that. If you dont, then you really should keep your thoughts to yourself. 
  • edited May 2016

I will never ever understand the "they love us" argument. Do you not love them back? Why do you think the fact that someone loves you is a good reason to treat them poorly? Wouldn't you want to be respectful and courteous to the people you love?

QFT. If anything, you should treat the people you love much better than they treat you. The Golden Rule may be, "Treat people the way you want to be treated," but the Platinum Rule is, "Treat people the way *they* want to be treated."

My gap story: At one cousin's second wedding, there was a two-hour gap. The reception was a 10-minute drive from the ceremony, so there was no reason for it. My brother was in the wedding party waiting to take pictures, and my SIL was waiting for him. It was summer and the air-conditioning hadn't kicked in yet, so we were all uncomfortable (also, the church wasn't air-conditioned) and the bar hadn't opened yet, not even for non-alcoholic beverages. My SIL said something rude, my BF at the time (now xBF - took me a year more to make him an ex, though) took issue, and my brother heard the whole interaction and nearly took a swing at said BF because my brother felt compelled to defend his wife. It ended up being a very painful two hours. 

I suspect my cousin really didn't know any better and was just going along with his bride (now-xW), but you know better and are doing it anyway.
  • dwitteck said:
    I was not asking about advice for my gap situation was I asking for suggestions for things to do in between. This was intended to be a discussion and seems like all of you are being the rude ones. I have talked to several family members and friends about this before I even booked both and no one found it that big of a deal. They are their because they love us and want to be their reguardless of the circumstance. I know I am an adult and I have a choice, and I made my choice. I wanted a stangers opinion about that I would have asked it. Honestly some of you have too much time on your hands. If I knew this was going to be the out come of asking for suggestions on what to put in my welcome bag, then I would have never started this discussion. Thanks for the unhelpful advice from the above negative responders... I'll still take some suggestions on things to put in my welcome bags for my guests if anyone has that. If you dont, then you really should keep your thoughts to yourself. 
    You can't control how people respond to you. I am with others who want to know why it has to be the case that your family and friends have to put up with annoying dead time because they love you, instead of you looking for ways to eliminate the annoying dead time because you love them.

You've stated you want an evening reception, and you have a church booked for 2 PM. People very helpfully gave you ideas on how to make those two things work. They're thinking outside the box, while you apparently refuse to.
  • dwitteck said:
    So you're officially ranking where you stand in all of your relationships: they love you more than you love them. Your completely avoidable wants are more important than their comfort and convenience. 

A reception exists to thank your guests. It isn't supposed to inconvenience them because you have a "vision". Save your visions for the ceremony, and properly host your guests at the reception.

There's only one thing you can put in a welcome bag to make guests feel better about a gap: information that the reception will start directly following the ceremony, and not three hours later.

• dwitteck said:
    Friends and family will not tell you that you're doing something rude because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Just because they won't say it to your face doesn't mean they're not thinking it. (Guarantee you they're side-eying your plans for a gap)  Internet strangers have no reason to protect your feelings... therefore we have no reason not to tell the truth and give honest, blunt advice. I strongly advice you listen to the internet strangers - your guests will thank you for it. 
    --

• Start your cocktail hour at three. Serve dinner starting at 4:30. Reception ends ~9pm. Ta-da, evening reception! What is so hard about this?
    Her ceremony won't be over until after three. Depending on how far away the reception venue is, I wouldn't start the cocktail hour until 3:30 at the earliest or 4:00 as @SP29 suggested.  
  • If you move your timeline up (I'm assuming the venue you've booked can accommodate a timeline change), then you still get an (earlier) evening reception, and people will find it easier to entertain themselves afterwards if they still want to party than in the gap your current timeline creates.
  • I'm headed to a wedding this week where there are two gaps and a tiered reception. I'm friends with the bride and groom through my FI so don't really think it is my place to tell her that what she is doing is rude. She asked if we had figured out something to do between the first reception and second reception and I told her that I wasn't exactly sure but that we would figure something out. Friends and family are most often going to agree with a loved one to preserve feelings. It is not worth me calling someone out on a gap when I value their friendship more than what has irritated me.

When you post on the internet, you have no control over what gets written. Does it suck sometimes, yes. If you can't handle the comments, then forum posting is best avoided.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    dwitteck said:
    Whenever I see a "I didn't ask for your advice/opinion" post, I think "deja vu."

First of all, the act of posting here is in and of itself a request for our advice and opinions about whatever you post. If you don't want our advice or opinions, then don't post. But you have no right to try to control how others respond to you.

Second, you're not going to get advice that validates an idea that is bad, rude, or both. 

Gaps are both. They're rude and bad ideas because they leave your guests unhosted between the ceremony and reception. Nobody wants to play cards or do whatever with the contents of gift bags while waiting for you to finish taking photos, but everyone wants something to eat and drink, and they're not going to wait for several hours after the ceremony to get it. They'll leave and not come back, because regardless of how much you think they love you, they don't love you so much that they'll stand around waiting for you.

And sorry, but you were never required to have an evening reception. You could have chosen to have your reception start as soon as your ceremony ended. And that's the choice you should have made when you chose to have a Catholic ceremony that would end in the afternoon. The Catholic Church isn't responsible for your choice of what time to start the reception; you and your FI bear sole responsibility for that.
  • Start your cocktail hour at three. Serve dinner starting at 4:30. Reception ends ~9pm. Ta-da, evening reception! What is so hard about this?
    Her ceremony won't be over until after three. Depending on how far away the reception venue is, I wouldn't start the cocktail hour until 3:30 at the earliest or 4:00 as @SP29 suggested.  
    The reception needs to begin as soon as guests could possibly begin arriving. If it is walking distance, 3 is appropriate. There should not be an hour of travel between the church and the venue. IMO 3:30 is the latest it should start, unless the ceremony will be longer than one hour itself.
    The reception needs to begin as soon as guests could possibly begin arriving. If it is walking distance, 3 is appropriate. There should not be an hour of travel between the church and the venue. IMO 3:30 is the latest it should start, unless the ceremony will be longer than one hour itself.
    OP did say the hotel is right next to the church; is that where the reception is going to be?
  • edited May 2016
    jacques27 said:
    dwitteck said:
    Well, of course they love you, which is why they will also have a very difficult time telling you to your face that what you are doing is selfish and a big inconvenience for people.  People who love you generally don't like disappointing you.

However, because YOU love THEM (allegedly), you should WANT to treat them better, host them properly, and not inconvenience them. 

And stop acting like this HAD to happen.  This isn't some passive thing that just happened to you.  You made a choice.  You put your desire for an evening reception ahead of your loved ones.  Just own it instead of playing a victim to it.  And what are you doing in that church that someone needs to "freshen up" after sitting and watching a ceremony for an hour?  Unless this is where that old saying "sweating like a whore in church" comes from?

You guests should be fully hosted for the entire time.  You don't have to be there, but they have to be provided for.  So rent a space, buy some snacks and drinks and start your cocktail hour earlier.  You can use the welcome bag budget to fund it and make sure your guests are hosted properly the entire time.  There's nothing you can put in welcome bags that will suddenly make you not a bad host.
    @jacques27, unless it's summer and the church isn't air-conditioned, I won't be sweating that much - and I'm a bisexual atheist!  :D

Seriously, OP, please reconsider the gap, or at least host your guests properly during that time.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    You plan the ceremony first.
    After the ceremony is planned, then you plan the reception to coincide.
    You didn't do that, did you?
    Your guests' convenience always comes first.  There is no way to fix your gap issue except to move the time of the reception to a time that is more convenient for your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards