Wedding Woes
Options

Favorite recipes

Okay ladies, I need help.  I have totally lost my cooking mojo because #divorceproblems.

What are some of your favorite, tasty meals that can easily be made 1-2 servings (I hate freezing and I don't really have the room for it either)? I can't keep eating frozen meals, no matter how hard I look for tasty ones.

Re: Favorite recipes

• Options
    I love making zoodles, grilling or baking some chicken and tossing it with some pasta sauce. I usually use 3 zucchinis for H and I when it make it, because they cook down a lot. That's enough for two people and we never have leftovers. And it's tasty. 
  • Options

One of my favorite recipes is this Asian sesame noodle thing. The noodles I buy come with three little packs in one package so that might make it easier to make individual portions. I can find the recipe if you want. It's super easy - you mix together the sauce, boil the noodles and slap in whatever protein and/or veg you have. I like shrimp, mushrooms, snap peas and bean sprouts but anything would be good.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've also been doing mason jar salads for lunches, but as it gets hot these would be great for dinner too.  Dressing in the bottom then beans, veggies, crunchy things, lettuce. I do one that's just whatever veggies are on sale and one more Asian. Sometimes I add chicken or boiled eggs some times I just eat as is.  I've done up to 4 at a time and they've still been good on the last day. If I get a broccoli slaw or clamshell of arugula it will use the whole package. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I haven't figured out how to cook for less than an army, but I do make a quick and dirty peanut noodle dish sometimes. Boil some noodles (most of the time we use ramen, but any long noodle will do). Melt some peanut butter in a saucepan, and stir in a little soy sauce (not too much or it screws up the texture), chili paste or sriracha, sesame oil, whatever you fancy. If you don't add sesame oil, add a little nondairy milk (dairy milk will do, but soy and coconut milk are best) and stir it in. That keeps the sauce smooth. Chuck in some tofu, cooked vegetables, or leftover cooked meat (it would probably be great with pork or chicken) if you want and toss it all together.

Sorry there aren't exact quantities. It's a very flexible recipe, though.
  • Options
    Stuffed peppers - one can of beans, 1-2 portions of cooked rice, 1 portion of frozen corn, spoonful (or two) of salsa, ground beef (include or not, doesn't really change anything). Mix everything together and warm in frying pan. Cut 1-2 peppers in half and hull out seeds. Cook peppers in oven for 20 minutes or so. Take hot peppers out of oven and immediately layer grated cheese and bean mixture until pepper is over flowing. Put back in oven to ensure bean mixture is hot and cheese is melted. This can be sized up or kept to 1-2 portions.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    We also do breakfast for dinner a lot. I make a really simple egg bake with frozen hash browns and shredded cheese, something like this:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hash-brown-egg-bake

It's easy to adjust the quantities (as long as the eggs and cheese cover the hash browns, you're good) and to add whatever else you like.  I usually make it without meat and serve bacon or sausage on the side, but you could pre-cook the meat and add it before you put the whole works in the oven.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016

Spaghetti - just use the small can of tomato sauce instead of the big ones... 

Chicken breasts with Lowry's to season...

Lemon caper chicken - can be sized down to a single batch simply... (flatten a chicken breast, dredge it in seasoned flour, fry in pan using just a LITTLE butter, plate it, add a small squirt of lemon juice and a 1/4 cup of chicken stock and reduce, add spoonful of rinsed capers, pour over chicken)... 

Pork steak..

Chicken Linguini

Don't overthink it!   

• Options
    I usually cook in bulk, so not much help with my faves because I usually take something that's already 4-6 servings and make 12+ - but if you look at sites like Blue Apron and Terra's Kitchen, they usually have recipes posted for their ~2 serving meals. If you're FB friends with DG, she might be able to give you some feedback on what she's liked - I know she's been cycling through some of the different meal prep companies. 
  • Options
    DH and I have been doing Blue Apron which has 2 servings per meal. We like the convenience of getting all of the ingredients at our door but they have all of their recipes online you can download for free if you don't want to spend $60 for 3 meals. We typically do 1 or 2 a month and have enjoyed building our recipe book!

We just made this one last night and LOVED it! Though neither of us are big fan of curry so we substituted red pepper flakes and some grill mates seasoning that DH always uses with his burgers. 
    https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/spiced-chickpea-burgers-with-vadouvan-sweet-potato-fries-lemon-yogurt-sauce 

Another favorite was this one. https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/asparagus-arugula-pesto-pizza-with-pink-lemon-ricotta

Oh and these enchiladas were AMAZING: https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/cheesy-enchiladas-rojas-with-mixed-mushrooms-spinach
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You all are making me hungry! I also cook in bulk, and end up with a ton of leftovers. We like leftovers, makes for easy lunches.

BUT if I am cooking just for me, I am a big fan of Asian noodle dishes. I go to the Asian market near my house and buy dry udon noodles (sold in packs of individual portions), cook them in water + bullion powder, add a handful of spinach, grated carrot, a sliced chicken breast or other meat, a spoonful of chunky peanut butter, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of sesame oil, and a soft boiled egg. You can basically add any meats/veggies you want and it's good.

My lazy go-to is a rice bowl. Brown rice, a 1/2 can of black beans, a handful of baby spinach, diced onion, some grated cheese and salsa, and you have a meal! Also good to add a fried egg on top.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Quesadillas/burritos.  If you end up making a bit too much, they're easily portable as lunches, and freeze well in a relatively small space.

I add in a mushroom popper filling that I love.  One batch is:
    3-6, seeded minced jalapenos, sauted with
    3-5 minced garlic cloves
    mixed with
    1 bar cream cheese
    ~2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    5 or so strips of cooked and crumbled bacon.

I use a food processor for the mincing, and make large batches to freeze.  I use it in quesadillas, stuffed chicken, and in the mushrooms of course.   I'm still experimenting, but it's delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards