Chit Chat
Options

Angsty.

So FI and I had a great venue lined up,  his Aunts gorgeous property, and she called and backed out today. 

39 days to go and I am imagining myself drinking a fruity cocktail on the beach in the Bahamas to help me survive this wedding planning. 

Oh well,  I suppose. Back to the drawing board and here's hoping we can find a place on such short notice. 

Re: Angsty.

• Options
    Fingers crossed for you and FI!
  • Options
    Oh no! Hang in there. Sending positive thoughts and vibes that there's a silver lining that will emerge from the chaos!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    Family!  Aren't they special?  (Sarcastic font)  So sorry you are dealing with this.  Is Grandma still in the picture?  Call her and cry.  Grandmas can be utterly terrifying!  Mine called auntie and informed her that if she expected to be in "the will" she had better attend my wedding!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Oh no!  I wish I knew pf places up your way.  Breathe, take a sip, repeat!
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    oh yikes :(
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Family!  Aren't they special?  (Sarcastic font)  So sorry you are dealing with this.  Is Grandma still in the picture?  Call her and cry.  Grandmas can be utterly terrifying!  Mine called auntie and informed her that if she expected to be in "the will" she had better attend my wedding!
    My Dad often says, half-jokingly, that my 96-year-old, 5-foot-0 Grandma is one of the few people he fears.  :)
  • Options

That bites!!!! 

Regardless of the reason, remember that it WILL work out - remember the old saying "People plan funerals using many of the same vendors in 3 days, you've got time!"..  Deep breath - strong drink - post here or the local boards where you're looking and you'll have ideas before the day is over of places to check out that are budget friendly.  Remember, even at your Aunt's house you were going to have to pay for some vendors to bring items in (potentially flooring, tenting, ceremony space/decor, tables, chairs, linens, plates, glasses, porta potties, fans, etc.), that all had a cost - by renting a venue, you're going to save many of those costs. 

• Options
    Dude. My heart goes out to you. 
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    Aww thanks everyone! I really needed the uplifting vibes.

Unfortunately they were also our back up venue, in case of bad weather. They had a large barn they used for woodworking that they had professionally cleaned/cleared, so even my back up plan has failed. :(

Apparently Aunt was afraid of alcohol consumption. While we discussed this five months ago that we planned to hire a professional bartender, and get event insurance to cover all liabilities, she still backed out and pulled use of her property. I get it, all those people can be a scary thing, and its her property so she can do as she wishes! I just wish five months ago when we spoke and started roping off areas (which included the bar....>.> ) she would have said something. She also stated that her Christian beliefs just would not allow her to facilitate alcohol consumption.

She did however offer us to have the ceremony there, and move the reception. But I simply refuse to make my guests drive all over the place, ya know ?

Sadly, I chose one of the busiest wedding days this season (June 11th) so every. single. venue is booked solid. Thankfully, my sister has offered her property and home, and we are going this week to look at logistics. I'm hoping this works out, it seems to be like a great option if we are unable to secure another venue on such short notice.

FI remains so happy though, and that really helps. Because really, all that matters is that our guests are happy, and we're married!

Sorry for the long post, but just really needed some ranting.

Think outside the box!  There are other venues out there you haven't thought of yet!  Here in MN in the summer months we have all the ski areas/golf courses, hockey field houses, County/State fairgrounds (no one EVER thinks of this but you can rent out buildings!), empty storefronts, KC/VFW/American Legion/Lions Halls, Community Centers, Senior Centers, University Buildings (Some even have a formal chapel space!), etc. 
  • Options
    Would she allow you to still have the ceremony/reception there if there was no alcohol served?  I realize that might not be a compromise you all are willing to make, and that's fine also, but just wanted to throw the idea out there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Would she allow you to still have the ceremony/reception there if there was no alcohol served?  I realize that might not be a compromise you all are willing to make, and that's fine also, but just wanted to throw the idea out there.
    This was my thought too. Would she allow you to still have a dry reception, and then maybe you could do an "after party" at a bar for the people who really want alcohol and partying?

I'm impressed with how calm you sound. You're handling this a lot better than I think I would be.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    She was willing to let us have the wedding there if it was dry. But I feel like theres too many hurt feelings, between me and FI, and other members of his family. I feel like there would be tension, and I'm just not all for that.

I'm trying to look at like this. We can't change what happened, so instead, pour our energy elsewhere. Finishing DIY projects, securing the other venue, ect. I've got too much going on to dwell on this too long!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards