Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon in August

I'm getting married next year and planning my honeymoon for August 2017.  I originally was looking for a location with an overwater bungalow that was also close travel wise to Italy.  Figuring, we'd spend 1 week at the bungalow and 1 week in Italy.  Problem I seem to be encountering is that August is looking like prime hurricane season for the overwater bungalow while also being extremely hot in Italy.  I'm reading that i's the month where Italians will normally go on holiday to the beaches or mountains to escape the heat  :/

So I'm looking for suggestions on other locations that would be ideal during this time of year and also if anyone has been to Italy or a location with an overwater bungalow during this time of year, I'd love to hear your experience.  

The other idea was to go to South Africa for a safari but I would still like to go to a beach at some point during the vacation so if anyone has suggestions on whether South Africa in August is a good idea and beaches that are close travel wise that would be great.  

Our entire honeymoon cannot last more than 2 weeks and we have to go the 1st week in August.

Re: Honeymoon in August

• You are not going to find any OWBs anywhere near Italy. The closest option would be the Maldives, which is a 10 hour flight. 

Italy has beaches and will be plenty hot in August.

I've been to south Africa and you can easily reach Mauritius, Seychelles, and Zanzibar from there. I'm not sure what your budget is, so that will play a big role in things.

August is a great time for Tahiti as well, if you want the OWBs over Europe. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    August is bargain season for Mediterranean or Baltic cruises.  It is too early to book, but this season's prices can give you an idea of what will be available.
    My daughter chose to cruise to Alaska, and they loved it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You are not going to find any OWBs anywhere near Italy. The closest option would be the Maldives, which is a 10 hour flight. 

Italy has beaches and will be plenty hot in August.

I've been to south Africa and you can easily reach Mauritius, Seychelles, and Zanzibar from there. I'm not sure what your budget is, so that will play a big role in things.

August is a great time for Tahiti as well, if you want the OWBs over Europe. 
    FH always says we can make it work, there's no budget.  I'm a bit more reserved and therefore would like to keep it close to $10,000 for the 2 of us for the 2 weeks.  

How is S. Africa in August? 
    Tahiti might work for a week of lazy beach laying around but we would ideally still like to do a week of cultural exploration as well (museums, city tours, etc...) so is there somewhere close to Tahiti travel wise you'd recommend for that?
  • CMGragain said:
    August is bargain season for Mediterranean or Baltic cruises.  It is too early to book, but this season's prices can give you an idea of what will be available.
    My daughter chose to cruise to Alaska, and they loved it.
    I love cruises, Me and DH try to go on one every year.  In fact we're getting married on one on embarkation day.  After we get back though we want to go on a land based honeymoon.
  • You can definitely do Australia or new Zealand with Tahiti, but $10k will only get you one week in Tahiti in august in an OWB. So, you won't have any budget left for another destination. The Maldives would be even worse. 

• If you want to combine Tahiti with something else, you could do Hong Kong, Singapore, or Tokyo fairly reasonably in terms of flight connections, although no advice on budget. 

Do you need an OWB? In August I'd be looking at the Mediterranean. Beautiful beach weather. Yes, cities will be hot, but you could combine London and Croatia or Berlin and the Greek islands for some variety. 
  • If you want to combine Tahiti with something else, you could do Hong Kong, Singapore, or Tokyo fairly reasonably in terms of flight connections, although no advice on budget. 

Do you need an OWB? In August I'd be looking at the Mediterranean. Beautiful beach weather. Yes, cities will be hot, but you could combine London and Croatia or Berlin and the Greek islands for some variety. 
    The flight from Tokyo to Tahiti is 11 hours. There are no direct flights from Hong Kong or Singapore. You'd have to connect in Tokyo. There are direct flights from Singapore to the Maldives, though! I also believe there may be from Hong Kong as well.

If you want to combine Tahiti with something else, you could do Hong Kong, Singapore, or Tokyo fairly reasonably in terms of flight connections, although no advice on budget. 

The flight from Tokyo to Tahiti is 11 hours. There are no direct flights from Hong Kong or Singapore. You'd have to connect in Tokyo. There are direct flights from Singapore to the Maldives, though! I also believe there may be from Hong Kong as well.
    It doesn't need to be an OWB (if we do S. Africa that would be it) but they look so pretty.  <3   I've lived in London before (went to undergrad there) so I've been to Croatia and Berlin before multiple times and I kind of wanted to go someplace where neither of us has been before.  

Thanks for the Mediterranean suggestion, I'll check into that. 

I've been to Tokyo and Hong Kong before but not Singapore and the Maldives look beautiful. 

These are all some good suggestions and giving me more to think about and more research to do and also check with FI to see what he thinks (though his normal response is whatever you want, we'll have a good time regardless)
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    Mediterranean cruises: (This is a safe website.  It is my favorite for searching different cruise lines.)

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=22422

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=27180

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=20919

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=24082

Royal Caribbean has just dropped a lot of their cruise rates.  I like the Princess itinerary better, but they haven't dropped their prices yet.  Holland America has a similar itinerary, but they do cater to mature passengers.  Not much night life onboard.  Their food is wonderful, though!  That RC cruise is a steal!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards